Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6,037 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
1. do I need numbers on the bike for a track day? I was signing up with pro-motion and didn't see any mention of requesting a number. I'm not even sure how I'd get numbers on my tail since I don't have a cowl.

2. what in the world is the logic of taping over your speedometer? is it just to avoid the distraction of "look how fast I'm going"? my speedometer is inside my tach and that's gonna be a bitch, plus I'd really like to see things like the low fuel warning, lap timer, temp gauge, etc.

TIA!

·
Registered
3,340 Posts
TPM does not require numbers, and just put a little piece of tape over the speedo when you go through Tech, then remove it if it bothers you, but all you should be paying attention to is the tach,,,,,,if that. I keep the tach in my peripheral vision if it's a track I'm not use to.

Reactions: Hammer 4

·
Registered
6,037 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thx guys. I thought I remembered Reduc asking for three choices for a number and I figured maybe it was for ID purposes when you're out on the track. CR's might write down your # or something if you're being an ass.

I don't get the speedo thing. I might use the tach, but prob just keep an eye on the shift light and use my ears. Doubt I'll be bouncing off the limiter on a 1k on my first trackday anyway.

·
Registered
580 Posts
No numbers required for TPM
and TPM does not require the taping up of the speedo, alot of people do it for two reasons mostly:
to prevent the "oh shit i'm going too fast" reflex
and on the opposite side, to prevent the "how fast can I go" mentality
Did you just sign up with TPM, or did you book a day already?

·
Registered
6,037 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
signed up as a freebie "associate". gonna book my slot in the ART basic for next year. ideally I'd like to do one day a month but this is starting to add up. apparently I need a back protector, I need new gloves, a steering damper is almost a must have, I'm looking at track plastics, and I still have NO idea how I'm gonna get the bike to the track. I'd like a trailer but that's $$$ and uhaul won't rent to explorers. pickup isn't a great option since I'll prob be alone and don't want to try loading/unloading by myself.

·
Registered
580 Posts
where are you from?
once you get a paying membership, you can log onto the tpm message board and post up looking for a ride share. People are always looking for travel mates to split the costs.
As for gear, yes you need a back protector, you would only need "new" gloves if your current ones are not over the wrist, no a steering damper is not a must, and no need for track plastics yet, just a roll of blue tape. Get out there with what you have and take ART Basic, you can always rent gear if you don't have it. Then if you like the whole track thing (most do) you can get other gear, plastics, etc.
I was gonna say, if you were going to VIR on Nov 13, I would be there, and I've got a couple of guys going with me for the first time and taking ART Basic. Anyhow when you do get to a TPM track day look for me, #673, I would be happy to work with you.
BTW, I often load/unload my bike into/outof by pick up alone.

·
Registered
16,168 Posts
Re: trailers. You could rent a 4X8 U Haul if ya don't find a good deal on a Used one, even a single rail trailer would work, and they are usually pretty cheap. Harbor frieght has some cheap trailers, although you wanna replace some of the fasteners with lock nuts, or use some RV silicone on em.

JFYI, there are track day orgs here that require you to tape up the speedo, as some folks just don't understand where their attention needs to be placed..:lol

·
Registered
6,037 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
well I'm planning on going to pocono since it's less than 30min away from me. trying to convince my friend to go with me but he's more the 'cruiser' type than the 'see what this thing will really do' type.

I have full gear, I need new gloves cause mine just wore thru two fingertips. fuggin expensive kangarooo leather too. and yes, a damper is a must for my 10, at least IMO. so are frame sliders which I still haven't gotten around to.

hammer, like I said uhaul won't let you tow trailers with an explorer. And my dad's sport trac is on the no-go list as well. I'm not trying to do this all on a budget, I'd just like to space out the purchases. esp if this stuff is only gonna get used a couple times a year. I know I could skip almost all the 'track parts' for the bike, it's really just the transportation thing that's got me hung up at the moment.

·
Registered
34,392 Posts
No towing a uhaul trailer with a Explorer. Tell them to put the crack pipe down. If it is an open 4x8 foot trailer hell an Explorer won't even know it is there. I have pulled my 6x10 open with gate with CBR on it no problem with a 2004 explorer with a 4.0.

Uhaul are just assholes. Rent the trailer, then just do what you want with it. I can't tell you how many uhaul trailers I have seen being pulled by Taurus, Camry. That is 100% grade A BS

·
Premium Member
8,926 Posts
chrisOH said:
No towing a uhaul trailer with a Explorer. Tell them to put the crack pipe down. If it is an open 4x8 foot trailer hell an Explorer won't even know it is there. I have pulled my 6x10 open with gate with CBR on it no problem with a 2004 explorer with a 4.0.

Uhaul are just assholes. Rent the trailer, then just do what you want with it. I can't tell you how many uhaul trailers I have seen being pulled by Taurus, Camry. That is 100% grade A BS
I think they base it on the hitch type.

·
Registered
6,037 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I'd like to rent the trailer and just do whatever, but how exactly am I supposed to get it off the lot? From uhaul:

http://www.uhaul.com/trucks/faq.aspx
Ford Explorer owners: U-Haul has chosen not to rent behind this tow vehicle based on our history of excessive costs in defending lawsuits involving Ford Explorer towing combinations. This policy is not related to safety issues. This is an unusual circumstance for U-Haul – we have built our success for over 59 years by saying "yes" to our customers, and do not like saying "no" instead. We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause and are committed to working with our customers to find alternative options to help with their move. Please contact 1-800-GO-UHAUL (1-800-468-4285) for assistance with alternative options.

I tried the rental reservation with sport trac as the tow vehicle and the same thing comes up. I thought about renting a van but it's over $100 with mileage charges. Been searching past posts about those harbor freight trailers. I'd just prefer to pay the $20 and rent for the first time though.

·
Premium Member
8,926 Posts
easter bunny said:
I'd like to rent the trailer and just do whatever, but how exactly am I supposed to get it off the lot? From uhaul:

http://www.uhaul.com/trucks/faq.aspx
Ford Explorer owners: U-Haul has chosen not to rent behind this tow vehicle based on our history of excessive costs in defending lawsuits involving Ford Explorer towing combinations. This policy is not related to safety issues. This is an unusual circumstance for U-Haul – we have built our success for over 59 years by saying "yes" to our customers, and do not like saying "no" instead. We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause and are committed to working with our customers to find alternative options to help with their move. Please contact 1-800-GO-UHAUL (1-800-468-4285) for assistance with alternative options.

I tried the rental reservation with sport trac as the tow vehicle and the same thing comes up. I thought about renting a van but it's over $100 with mileage charges. Been searching past posts about those harbor freight trailers. I'd just prefer to pay the $20 and rent for the first time though.
Bro just go to Alamo/National and rent a pickup truck. Or do like I did and buy a Suburban and take functional possesion of a friends trailer because he has nowhere to put it.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.