Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

301 - 305 of 305 Posts

·
Likes to race old junk.
1,618 Posts
Discussion Starter #301
Last weekend, I dropped the Double off at "Bentley's", my paint & body guy. I fired it up in the trailer for the Harley leather crowd.

The tail section's bottom needs to be extended @4" to meet up with the rear belly pan. The two will be secured with more Dzus fasteners.

The belly pan complicates the rear stand. Because we can't simply lift from the bottom of the foot pegs like before, there were extensions added to the stand, in order to fit around the width of the tail.
Its almost become a 3 person circus act to start this thing.
I'm giving serious thought to a couple of 12 volt actuators (slow!), or a pair of air jacks (expensive!) bolted to the frame on either side for the battery box. The controls could be mounted on the external starting battery.
I usually ask the Starter Official to let me know when the vehicle on the course ahead of me reaches the 2 mile marker, then we have lots of time to raise the back of the bike, start the front engine, put it in gear, bump the rear engine, find neutral, lower the bike and still have a minute to sweat on the start line before the course is clear for my run.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,142 Posts
Wow, that is a lot of busywork just before you take a run. I am imagining what would run through your head as the pilot. The routine can get your mind settled just before its show time. Then out of nowhere, suddenly you are focused and the moment has come. And you will execute that perfect run.

Thanks for the update. This bike is a very cool result of years of work and thought. Good luck on your next run.

·
Likes to race old junk.
1,618 Posts
Discussion Starter #303
This is long over due for an update...Bentley, my painter, repaired the trailer tip over damage and modified the tail section. I asked him to dial it back a little and just paint the bike a solid "Viper Blue"...he still needed to do his artsy hippy thing, and there are a few sparkly sound waves...it looks awesome in the sun.

We took it to the World Finals last October, salt conditions were really encouraging, I was feeling confident about testing it with the belly pan and lowered tail section...we got through Tech, and then the sky opened up...we waited a couple days for the course to dry out and then got another storm.

My local Chev dealer lent me a loaded zero mile Duramax Silverado to demo on our trip. The couple that own my local supporting Suzuki dealer flew down to join us. Friends and family had also helped me return to Bonneville...point being, I had to make the best of it...we visited little museums, we went in search of local Mexican food, we worked inside the trailer, while waiting for the rain to stop. It didn't, we never made a single pass...and returned home.

Attachments

·
Likes to race old junk.
1,618 Posts
Discussion Starter #304
The bike developed a miss and appeared to be hitting the rev limiter very early. This gave us something to troubleshoot while we were hiding from the rain during the Word Finals last year. It also identified that I needed spare ignition parts, so I have collected extra pick ups, coils, wires and a complete Dyna 2000, just to sit it a box in the race trailer...in case we need it.
Also the body was sitting outside, when we were in the trailer last, and the wind knocked it over, smashing the wind screen. Zero Gravity made me a couple more.
My buddy Carl found the source of the miss...the tachs and the data acquisition both require tach signals from the ignition boxes but had a fault in the wiring.

I've kept busy with a few other projects but decided it was time to jump back on the Double. I have a list of minor repairs and maintenance. I pulled the body and wheels off. I've inspected the coupler and checked the valve clearances. I moved the upper shock mounts, to give me a little more ground clearance, which in turn affected the swing arm angle, the shifter to belly pan clearance, the shifter linkage geometry and the rear stand...but it's all sorted now.

I've always thought the Double needed red valve covers, they were off anyway, so I got them powder coated "Viper Red". I looked through my Oiler parts stash and found a couple sets of new valve cover bolts, that a member here had made.

Cleaning up the carbs is next. I bought a small soda vapor blasting cabinet just for this job.

The plan is to go back down again for this year's World Finals, Oct. 1st-4th...I'm fully prepared for shit weather or salt, but you can't run, if you're not there.

Attachments

301 - 305 of 305 Posts