Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

281 - 300 of 305 Posts

·
Likes to race old junk.
1,618 Posts
Discussion Starter #281
Yeah, this year it gets some sensors. We want to be able to confirm that the tune is optimum as weather conditions change through out the day, ambient temperature, humidity etc.

Once we get it dialled in and when course conditions permit a full power pass, then we can compare front & rear wheel speed, rpm and throttle position to confirm that its running at its full potential.

Cheers,
Scott

·
Likes to race old junk.
1,618 Posts
Discussion Starter #283
Just got the word, Speed Week 2015 has been cancelled. At least we don't have to make the trip like last year. It was going to be down to the wire again, a bit wet and far from ideal, but when the SCTA started grading the courses in preparation for early August, there just wasn't enough salt around the 3 mile area. There was talk of only having a couple of short courses if the salt isn't thick enough to support a 7 mile long course, but that fell through as well.

Its due to a combination of Mother Nature not cooperating and local mining companies raping the area for potash.

....I might have to put brakes on this thing and run it on pavement.

http://www.sltrib.com/sports/2709833-155/speed-week-is-in-danger-again?fullpage=1

·
Likes to race old junk.
1,618 Posts
Discussion Starter #285
"Only" 2 years in a row for Speed Week.

The SCTA have been hosting Speed Week since 1949, there have been periods since then, when the events were rained out for a couple of consecutive years.

This usually serves to help thin the crowds out...some folks find a new hobby...some folks only view Bonneville as a "bucket list" item, to only kick the bucket.

Its unpredictable at best.

There's always hope for a couple of short events in September and the World Finals in early October.

I remain as determined as ever.

·
Likes to race old junk.
1,618 Posts
Discussion Starter #286
Quick update...

We made some new oil cooler mounts and gained 1/2" ground clearance. It doesn't sound like much, but when you have 10 pounds of shit, stuffed in a 5 pound bag, you take what you can get.

The clip-ons are pulled in too tight to fit within the big body, this feels really awkward and doesn't give you much leverage or confidence. We revisited this and spent a day flipping them around, trying different combinations and never gained anything. The goal is to keep the frontal area as small as possible, but the solution will involve cutting holes in both sides of the fairing which will let us widen the stance of the bars. Then we can cover the holes with fiberglass blisters. Steering is limited to 15 degrees each way on +200mph bikes, so the bars don't have much sweep. I don't think the bars will protrude much more than an inch outside of the body, but will get covered.

I've never been happy with how the long tail sat on the bike, I pulled on brackets, stiffened up the bottom skirt and it still never looked perfectly straight from the rear. The lasers will come out to get it aligned and there will be some cutting involved. The body work will get ugly before it gets better, and then it can get a new paint job.

I want to enclose more of the rear wheel to reduce turbulence. I think I can modify a couple of fiberglass huggers to do the job and mount them inside the swing arm.

An aluminium belly pan is getting fabricated, this will fasten to the bottom of the bike. It will seal up the bottom of the body and provide some more structure for the lower edge of the fairing to tie into.

We'll see what 2016 brings...

Attachments

·
Premium Member
24,541 Posts
Thanks for the update,i love this bike:cheers

·
Likes to race old junk.
1,618 Posts
Discussion Starter #290
I finally had success in getting the clip-ons positioned at a more aggressive angle that will give me confidence and leverage. I was also able to shorten them enough, so that they will fit within the body, without having to resort to grafting fiberglass tits on the sides of the fairing for clearance. I had to move a couple of switches from one side to the other, it became a bit of a puzzle as I tried different combinations but slowly gained ground to where I can sweep the steering side to side and nothing rubs...I consider this to be somewhat of a milestone.

I've never had neutral lights, the neutral switch wires were hacked off when the bike was first built in the early 90's. It originally had a couple of rechargeable Scitsu tachs and no other instrumentation. A couple of years ago, when I had the coupler off while doing some maintenance on the clutch slave cylinders, I installed new neutral switches and figured we'd wire in lights at a later date. When it was over at Richard's shop last fall getting some fabrication done, he informed me that I must have left out the little springs and contacts because he could only get the new neutral lights to work when he grounded them out...I felt pretty dumb. They were never there, because they weren't originally needed and I had just blindly replaced the switches. I was able to get a pair of springs and contacts from my dealer.

Its a fairly big project to pull the coupler off just for shits and giggles, but I psyched myself up one Saturday morning. Once I'd squared away the neutral switches, I tested them before starting on reassembly and was rewarded with a couple of green led's...Yay! I also celebrate the small victories.
This is going to make life so much easier, rather than fumbling while trying to find neutral again after starting both engines at the start line.

The slave cylinders have been modified, the bores were sleeved and the pistons are smaller than stock. Also you can see in the picture, that the line comes in through the top where the bleeder screw would normally be. The port on the side has been welded up. You have to crack the lines to bleed them, which is often a lesson in patience. The coupler drive passes through the covers and is splined to each transmission output shaft, space is tight.

The wiring is starting to get a bit congested, especially at the front of the bike. I hate the split loom on it now, so I'm presently trying to tidy things up and re-wrap the harness in a braided cover.

Attachments

·
Likes to race old junk.
1,618 Posts
Discussion Starter #293
If the engines are coupled, why not just use one tach?

JR
The engines are only coupled when the transmissions are in gear.

Its handy having individual tachs while adjusting the throttle cables with both engines running in neutral, they are bit finicky to set up.
Also we sometimes need to run one engine at a time when working on it.

·
Premium Member
1,472 Posts
Bloody awesome thread Scott!! Thanks! Your passion is admirable and the way you have your eye on the future (turbo's etc) shows that!! Maybe this year I can swing through Wendover....

Ok Wendover Story - My brother decided to come back to CA with me after a family reunion in Denver, we stopped in Wendover for the night and proceeded to drink great amounts of liquor, to the point they told us we could drink OR gamble but not both... we compromised and had some more beers while entertaining several young and not so young ladies at the table. Chit chat reveaeled that they'd just flown - FLOWN - in to Wendover from North Dakota... We looked at one another with the same question running through our heads...

"Why would anyone fly INTO Wendover?" we asked

They looked at one another with what was obviously the same thought...

"Have you ever BEEN to North Dakota?"

Keep up the great work Scott, I'll check my calendar for Aug and maybe watch for a day on my way to visit home...

·
Registered
14 Posts
Well that just took up about 3 hours of my time and I couldn't think of a better way to spend a Friday evening. A few beers and some eye opening pics.
Very cool thread considering I love riding my '87 1100 Slabby which is enough of a thrill even at half your double in cc's and power.
Excellent thread and I can't wait to see how you go when the big guy stops raining on the parade.
Best of luck.
Ben

·
Likes to race old junk.
1,618 Posts
Discussion Starter #297
This update has been a long time coming...lots of delays, most of them not under my control and that's just life.
I'm pleased to say that the belly pan is finally coming together.

Flat belly pans of this surface area size, are pretty dangerous on bikes, because as the bike leans to one side, the air speed changes and you can have air moving faster on one side of the pan, than the other, which can lead to lift. There's been a few accidents and fatalities attributed to this, so I've been determined to not see history repeat itself.

The main section is made up of 2 pieces that will get welded together, to give us a fairly gentle V-bottom and hopefully a neutral influence on the bike's handling. I don't have a lot of ground clearance to sacrifice.

Once the main section is completed, work can get started on the tail section's pan, and the two will bolt together. The tail's pan will fit around the rear wheel. I'll also need to get the tail section fiberglass extended @3" at the bottom to meet up with the pan.

Realistically, my plan this year is to make it over to El Mirage and do some test runs. I want to see how the bike behaves at 150mph, before I worry about what its like over 200.

I was over at Richard's shop yesterday to check out the progress, I'm always happy to see the Double, I hadn't seen it since last September.
He's been down for 6 months from a badly broken arm. I was off for awhile too with nerve damage to my hand. We're both recovering and back to work, so progress can continue with this build.

Cheers,
Scott

Attachments

·
Registered
28 Posts
I had heard about something similar when I was looking for an engine for a potential swap on a mini truck. The one I saw was two hayabusa engines mated together as a V8 through a custom made block and it was supposed to be a super lightweight(compared to a normal V8) and could get upwards of 400 hp. Its supposed to be a ridiculously complex build but it is very cool when you really look at it. Type in "hayabusa V8" and you can find the specs and even the price(which seems to be somewhere from 30k up to 70k).

A place to buy a 'Busa V8
Hartley Engines ? Engine Swap Depot

A video of a Hayabusa V8 in a racecar pushing 480HP

This one is two 1,200cc ninja engines mated together in a Subaru Brz
What If You Stuck A V8 Made Of Two Motorcycle Engines In A Subaru BRZ?

·
Registered
82 Posts
Not to detrack from thread, but since twin engines are mentioned, I saw this dual Busa powered Radical at the Ridge Motorsports Park.
Apparently it's made in England with 2 Busa engines in V-65 configuration and claimed to put out 500hp.
My 14 year old son, got several laps in it, said his stomach muscles hurt from the cornering forces.

281 - 300 of 305 Posts