Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5,502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know there is all this talk about countersteering and how it's used and what not, but under 20/30mph, it's always the opposite (I don't care what anyone says, I'm pulling damnit).

My question is, what do you all do at low speed? And how do you deal with that dead-zone where I'm not going fast enough for a solid push for counter-steer and I'm not going slow enough to pull?

·
Registered
2,963 Posts
I guess it depends on how quick & tight you wanna turn .

When I pull into work, I make 3 semi-tight turns @ about 15-20 mph or so . All I do is lean it over a little and follow the bike instead of lettin it follow me . So far it works pretty good . At lower speeds, I'd suggest lettin the bike do what IT wants to do . Except maybe fall on its side

------------------

·
Registered
69 Posts
Yep, below 20 it ain't supposed to work. At least that's what they teach at the course.

When going too slow, I switch over to slow speed manuvring mode.
Steer like you would a normal bicycle and ride the clutch in 1st or 2nd in order to maintain a smooth constant thrust rather than a snappy, jerky on/off throttle action.

Take as much weight off your arms so that they have a free range of motion.(Keith Code's twist of a wrist II) This reduces the chance that you'll inadvertantly use the handle bar for leverage and accidentally steer into a bush.

Hope dat helps

------------------

·
Registered
325 Posts
I think you'll find that countersteering works at speeds lower than you think. I find that it works above 10mph. You might not be using a quick enough action to feel it. It took me awhile to use a quick (enough) push to get the bike leaned over to not lose your momentum.

------------------

·
I <3 Item 9
13,426 Posts
What the hell? I never took any cource, ever, and I have never even had a hint of a question about steering!
Isn't it painfully obvious once you get moving on any bike how to steer it???????
I dunno... I mean... just go... and when there is a turn... steer... That's it... It's not any more complicated than that really.
I can nearly scrape my footpegs turning every time (damn boots keep getting in the way) and nobody ever taught me anything about push, pull, in, out, faster, harder, more, more, oh ya that's the spot

!!!IT'S ALL JUST COMMON SENSE DAMN IT!!!

------------------
http://www.silent750.gixxer.com

·
Registered
5,502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks mark...

despite countersteering occurring at low speed, i think we can agrees that steering at speed feels a lot different than low speed...and at really low speed it pretty much feels like you are turning the bars the way you want them to go, not pushing. I was just wondering if anyone did anything at that point where low-speed is becoming high-speed and you have to switch turning styles...

·
Registered
1,572 Posts
Neeeevermind scratch that post, i'ma crackhead...

------------------

[This message has been edited by Void (edited 04-16-2001).]

1 - 7 of 7 Posts