Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't like the yellow bulb showing through the clear lens on my K5 and I want to change the bulbs to the LED bulbs that shine amber. What size or type of bulb would be a direct replacement for the stock amber bulb in the mirror and the rear. I thought that it would be the 1156 but that is not the correct fit. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

·
Chubby Chaser
57,844 Posts
I hope it's 1156 because I just ordered 4 of them. I know it's not 1157 because I tried them and they don't fit. I know that the 2 positioning pins on the bulb are not 180 degrees opposed to one another, they are offset slightly, is that any indication on what kind they might be?

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well you might as well send them right back because I just got my 1156 bulbs today and they do not fit either. The small nipples or whatever you call them are incorrect for the socket on the bike

·
Chubby Chaser
57,844 Posts
Yup, 7507 are the indicator lights. It's a European sizing

This sucks now, I can't find any place that carries 7507 LEDs with that stupid offset. Dumbass move on Suzuki's part with this.

·
Registered
919 Posts
i went through this all when i got my sylvania silverstars (like the phillips silvers - look blue, but light up orange - looks great on blue/white color scheme) - i ended up shaving one of the 'nipples' to get em to fit.

·
Chubby Chaser
57,844 Posts
i went through this all when i got my sylvania silverstars (like the phillips silvers - look blue, but light up orange - looks great on blue/white color scheme) - i ended up shaving one of the 'nipples' to get em to fit.
I suppose I could do that too, but will it stay in place?

·
Chubby Chaser
57,844 Posts
Thats wut i did..i shaved the nipples off the 1157 LED bulbs and they seem to be holding up fine
Well, I have 4 sitting around at home collecting dust, I guess it's worth a shot. Did you have to use any electrical tape or anything else to make them stay put, or did that one pin hold them in place OK?

·
Registered
408 Posts
What I have found is the bulb is called a 581. They are on ebay from the UK, but they make them in the silver bulbs, or LEDs

I haven't ordered mine because I'm cheap (like $20 for a pair) but I want them. Kind of curious about shaving the nipples off, and how well they will stay put since the rear turn signals are a bitch to get to.

·
Chubby Chaser
57,844 Posts
What I have found is the bulb is called a 581. They are on ebay from the UK, but they make them in the silver bulbs, or LEDs

I haven't ordered mine because I'm cheap (like $20 for a pair) but I want them. Kind of curious about shaving the nipples off, and how well they will stay put since the rear turn signals are a bitch to get to.
I'm going to test it out when I get home and I'll let you know.

BTW, the rear bulbs are a piece of cake to get to. You just unscrew the one screw, push down a little on the top of the cover and the pops off. I hope you're not trying to get at it from the inside of the trunk.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Thats wut i did..i shaved the nipples off the 1157 LED bulbs and they seem to be holding up fine
Well, I have 4 sitting around at home collecting dust, I guess it's worth a shot. Did you have to use any electrical tape or anything else to make them stay put, or did that one pin hold them in place OK?
nah...its pretty snug so it stayed in place so far....i suppose u can use tome electrical tape to hold it there but i havent had a need for that yet.

·
Chubby Chaser
57,844 Posts
Well, I tried it out last night. Cut one of the pins off and stuck the LED bulb in and it managed to stay put. Now I have 2 problems:

1) The LED is definately not as bright at the regular filament bulb (I even got the big one with 24 individual LEDs in it)

2) Is flashes too fast because I didn't put a resistor in-line to make it flash normal. My guess is I am going to get irritated by this eventually and swap the LEDs out for a set of these:

·
Registered
125 Posts
I know they arent as high quality as LED but I put Phillips Silvervision or whatever the bulbs are called. They appear silver in colour but blink yellow/orange...so no more yellow shining through the turn signal lenses
I put these bulbs in the rear turn signals / indicators / blinkers on my 2008 GSX R1000.

They look awesome because now the blinkers and tail light are both clear.

They are available for worldwide purchase with free postage from
http://www.autobulbsonline.co.uk
or
http://www.powerbulbs.com

PY21W Silver Vision 12V 21W

You can make them yourselves by getting your amber (orange) bulbs and lightly spraying them with silver spray paint. I recommend you just lightly dust them with paint, let them dry. See if they are the effect you are after, if not give them another light coat etc etc

If you put too thick a coat on you will reduce the light output too much and they wont be safe.

·
You should listen to me. No, seriously, listen to
10,728 Posts
The 7507/PY21W is also available from superlumination.com which might be the same site as autolumination.com. It's a difficult site to navigate. Using the <ctrl>F text search feature helps a lot. As I recall you can get four for under $20 shipped. The silvered bulb isn't as bright as the unsilvered but it isn't a huge difference. However the brightness difference has led to the partially silvered "chrome dome" bulbs. I believe that the SilverVision bulbs weren't originally as fully silvered and you could see some amber when viewed from certain angles. But recent pictures suggest that they're more completely silvering them now, possibly to keep up with the competition. Shaving pins or spray painting the non-silvered bulbs has been discussed on several automotive forums and tends to waste a lot of time to get an inferior result.

·
You should listen to me. No, seriously, listen to
10,728 Posts
No, the 1056 is a 32 V bulb. You're probably thinking of the 1156 but it is different than the 7507. The 1156 base is BA15s vs BAU15s for the 7507. It also has a different life, which I think reflects a heavier filament. Donsbulbs.com lists them as having the same base but I'm fairly sure that he's in error. Every other reference I can find shows different bases.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.