Premium Member
367 Posts
Discussion Starter #161 (Edited)
Balancer bearing are black ones.
Results now are
Fro R to L main brearing
.038 .038 .025 .038 .050
Yellow black black black black

I have calculated the difference to the goal...and way out of spec...blue bearing??

Balancer bearing both .050

Sent from my Mi A1 using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
367 Posts
Discussion Starter #162
I'm using red plastic gauge atm, the green is supposed to be the one in the manual but measuring range does no match

·
You should listen to me. No, seriously, listen to
8,538 Posts
The balancer bearings are sized on 3-64 or 3-65, depending on which version you have.

The service limit for the crankshaft and balancer bearings is .080 mm. You seem to be well within it. I also see that there's a typo in converting that to inches in the balancer section. 0.031 in should be 0.0031 in. I'll fix that.

"Temperature is measured a the temp switch, I used a 4 way adapter to get oil pressure and temp from it"
I assume that you mean pressure switch. An adapter there will get a bit crowded but it runs straight into the main oil gallery. I can't believe that the pressure there is going to be any different than one inch away at the end of the gallery. However oil temperature measured in the adapter isn't going to be very close to the true temperature unless your sensor extends through the adapter into the gallery.

Of TheGeek's possibilities, I'm currently most suspicious of an issue with the oil strainer/pickup (note the O-ring) or with a big leak at the oil pump. Is there any chance that you removed and didn't replace an oil gallery plug? There's one on the underside of the lower crankcase.

·
Premium Member
367 Posts
Discussion Starter #164
Hi and thanks for checking in .

The oil plug I haven't touched,will check as lower and block I bought of fleabay due to the condition of mine, the oil temp sensor and pressure has been taken from the pressure switch port.
The oil strainer seal I did even put some gasket tape to it.
Will compare old lower with the one I bought and look for cracks that I might missed...

·
8,538 Posts
While in the service manual and wondering about the oiling system I was looking at the lubrication diagram on 7-21. The drawing has a plug that I can't find on the actual engine. It supposedly is on the right side of the crankcase at the end of a sub-gallery. I can easily find the plug on the left side (ahead of and above the generator cover). But I don't see a corresponding plug on the right side. Do you know where it is?

·
Premium Member
367 Posts
Discussion Starter #166
Hi Billv
I have found these
One on each end, never been touched yet
Are these the ones mentioned?

·
8,538 Posts
I think that is the main gallery in the lower crankcase. There are four identical plugs in it, two on either end, one at the front and another on the underside. You can see it labeled "Main gallery" in the drawing. The one that I'm wondering about is labeled "Sub-gallery", is higher in the engine and, as best I can tell, supplies the piston oil jets. That gallery has a plug on the left side but seems to not have anything on the right. Hence my confusion and my wondering if I'm looking in the right place. I'm also wondering if it's a carryover from a drawing for an earlier model which had the right side plug and was since removed without updating the drawing. But I don't have pics of K1/K2 or K3/K4 crankcases.

·
Premium Member
367 Posts
Discussion Starter #168
Just received the new oil pressure relief valve...after import charges 180 ish usd

·
8,538 Posts
I gather that it will raise the pressure. Schnitz charges $80. So shipping & duties were $100? Irk!

No harm in trying it. But unless yours was jammed open, I'm thinking that the problem is elsewhere.

·
Premium Member
367 Posts
Discussion Starter #170
Agree, this will not be the solution to it but just a extra step of care...have ordered a new oil pump, Suzuki dealer told me that it is a "old" bike and the pump can go..I don't agree as the pump looks almost indestructible from design...here goes nothing

·
Premium Member
367 Posts
Discussion Starter #171
I have designed a full oil strainer gasket,at the moment the machine is doing it
It will sit into the original are plus covering all extra area,good idea or bomb it?

·
Premium Member
367 Posts
Discussion Starter #172
I might have found the root of the problem.... clogged oil strainer,was full of crap of sealant paste bits, shavings and...dirt ish stuff... that could be a key reason BUT... shouldn't be the pressure always low then?

·
Premium Member
367 Posts
Discussion Starter #174
Closing the engine, will use stock gaskets,will try with the actual pump on my engine bench

·
8,538 Posts
That new gasket looks like overkill but no harm doing it. You can look in the oil pump openings for damage (scouring, etc) but I think they're quite robust and long lived.

You may be at or getting close to what the real problem is.

P.S. I figured out the oil passage plug question. The drawing is in error. K1/K2 used an external line to supply the chain tensioner and the passage that supplied the piston oil jets ran all the way across the crankcase to supply the line. K3/K4 didn't use the external line but the passage remained and was plugged on the right side with a bolt & gasket,. For K5/K6 the passage was shortened to end at the rightmost oil jet. But the drawing was not changed from K3/K4. I'm going to see if there's a later manual with a drawing that can be used to correct it.

P.P.S. The K7/K8 manual has the same error. It wasn't corrected until K9, which has a major rework to the oiling system. I've updated the K5/K6 drawing. There's a question about whether the passage extends to the mounting bolt for the rightmost oil jet. But, relative to what it was, that's a minor issue. I'm surprised that no one noticed the error before then.

·
Premium Member
367 Posts
Discussion Starter #176
Hi
I have dismantled the oil pump,minor score on the wall but not to induce such a high loss
I'm quite confident that it was the dirty strainer, nevertheless, shouldn't be the pressure always low ? Or with the heat increase in density making the oil pass harder makes sense? Thanks for the update billv

·
8,538 Posts
^I also can't explain why it's not always low. It's as if the engine uses more oil as the RPMs increase and it isn't available because of the blockage. So the pressure goes down. But that's just guessing.

I've updated my update.

·
Premium Member
367 Posts
Discussion Starter #178
The only thing I can think of...with temp getting more fine, and thus to limited volume... starvation...
Have you uploaded the updated manual?

·
8,538 Posts
^The newest update should now be available on mediafire.

There's very little information on how oil flow through an engine varies with RPM. But the more I think about it, the more that I'd expect it to increase with RPM. If there was a supply blockage, the oil pressure would drop because the supply wasn't there - I guess.

·
Premium Member
367 Posts
Discussion Starter #180
Have the engine on the bench and have done a radiator support, engine now works,when hot pressure drops to 6 psi at idle but at 3000 it's around 55 65 depending on temp
Will do some hours on idle here,oil out and look for stuff....the oils oil had a lot, a lot of fine metal sediment.

161 - 180 of 223 Posts