Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Banned
1,136 Posts
>:) I'll bet drilling some holes in his air box would help >:)

:nerd::nerd:

·
Ex-Lady Supermod
16,100 Posts

Boy are you wrong!!! Shervin already showed how to do it correctly. You cut out a section of the frame and put a sponge in the hole. Not only gives a HP boost but lightens the bike since you removed two sections of the frame. To be more aerodynamic, drill holes in you license plate. You can see more here:

Shervin's awesome modifications

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
The correct title should read "De-tuning for deceleration pops", but anyway: As far as I can see, there would be three ways of getting pops during deceleration:

1. Excessively retard ignition timing and add fuel during closed throttle operation. This should allow unburnt fuel to enter the exhaust, together with air from your PAIR valves (assuming they haven't been blocked off), mimicking the anti-lag system on WRC machines, which I suppose is the intended goal. It would likely also mimic their reliability, at least where exhaust components (exhaust valves, headers, perhaps the can) are concerned, as I can't imagine the flaming hot gases will be very kind to them. One difference to the WRC case that should be pointed out, is that since GSXRs aren't turbocharged and don't suffer from lag, implementing an anti-lag system is entirely pointless.
  2. Significantly de-tune the AFR, that is enrich the charge, as leaning out would damage the engine, across the rpm band. Just doing this during closed throttle, as you did is likely not adequate, as unburnt fuel doesn't have time to collect in the exhaust manifold. What you need is the engine to operate badly, partly burning fuel, when it is loaded, that is, when the throttle is open, so that unburnt fuel collects there which can ignite when the throttle is closed, again assuming the PAIR system is operational. This is, as far as I can tell, what happens when you replace your exhaust with an aftermarket unit without tuning for the new setup.
  3. Alter the valve timing so that your exhaust vavles open early, dumping unburnt fuel into the exhaust where it can ignite with a bang. You will, of course, also lose compression, power and fuel efficiency in the process.
I hope the above illustrates why doing what you want to do, wastes fuel, deteriorates engine operation and reliability and basically converts a racing machine into a boom box, damaging it in the process.

Understood, thank you. I was under the impression that it was as simple as just adding fuel at 0% throttle but I see now it's a bit more involved than that. In that case I will likely give up on trying to pursue my hektik decel popping

·
Banned
1,136 Posts
Doesn't the PAIR mod take care of the decel popping?

·
Captain Obvious ... because obviously it’s obvious
3,970 Posts
Doesn't the PAIR mod take care of the decel popping?
For the most part, yes. However, you can definitely re-enable the PAIR system after you have finished tuning it for max poppy burbly noises.

Todd knows this best. For max AFR results, drill holes.

·
Registered
1 Posts
This came up when I was searching for information on GSXR1000 PCV tuning... If you want your bike to pop and burble and make all those fun noises on overrun, consider switching to a Bandit 1200. GSXRs are meant to go fast, which means striving for the most efficient combustion possible, which means... no pop pop, no bang bang.

Bandit 1200 however, poor fuel economy and designed as a bit of a hooligan. Pops and bangs galore, get one of those and stop hurting your innocent GSXR for doing exactly what it's meant to do 👍🏻

·
Super Moderator
17,292 Posts
This came up when I was searching for information on GSXR1000 PCV tuning... If you want your bike to pop and burble and make all those fun noises on overrun, consider switching to a Bandit 1200. GSXRs are meant to go fast, which means striving for the most efficient combustion possible, which means... no pop pop, no bang bang.

Bandit 1200 however, poor fuel economy and designed as a bit of a hooligan. Pops and bangs galore, get one of those and stop hurting your innocent GSXR for doing exactly what it's meant to do 👍🏻
Um, okay then..

21 - 28 of 28 Posts