Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a power commander and would like to tune my bike for some decel popping. All the guides I have found online are how to tune to get rid of decel popping instead of tuning for it

If I understand this correctly, I should just modify the values for the 0% throttle row and add fuel? Everything from 2.5K RPM and above was at 0. I upped it to 12 and noticed no difference during decel. How high does it need to be? Bike is an 03 1000 so there is no cat. Just a long ass bolt on

·
Registered
256 Posts
I have a power commander and would like to tune my bike for some decel popping. All the guides I have found online are how to tune to get rid of decel popping instead of tuning for it

If I understand this correctly, I should just modify the values for the 0% throttle row and add fuel? Everything from 2.5K RPM and above was at 0. I upped it to 12 and noticed no difference during decel. How high does it need to be? Bike is an 03 1000 so there is no cat. Just a long ass bolt on
Why the heck do you want decal popping? Piss off everyone around you?:facepalm

·
Registered
1,823 Posts
You can't tune for that...WTF...

·
Ex-Lady Supermod
16,100 Posts

·
Premium Member
24,541 Posts
You'll be able to find your answer here: GSXR.com

Take that squid shit over there and waste their time asking how to do dumb fucking shit like this. WTF :facepalm x1,000,000

·
I know things... A lot of things.
3,171 Posts
The correct title should read "De-tuning for deceleration pops", but anyway: As far as I can see, there would be three ways of getting pops during deceleration:

1. Excessively retard ignition timing and add fuel during closed throttle operation. This should allow unburnt fuel to enter the exhaust, together with air from your PAIR valves (assuming they haven't been blocked off), mimicking the anti-lag system on WRC machines, which I suppose is the intended goal. It would likely also mimic their reliability, at least where exhaust components (exhaust valves, headers, perhaps the can) are concerned, as I can't imagine the flaming hot gases will be very kind to them. One difference to the WRC case that should be pointed out, is that since GSXRs aren't turbocharged and don't suffer from lag, implementing an anti-lag system is entirely pointless.
  2. Significantly de-tune the AFR, that is enrich the charge, as leaning out would damage the engine, across the rpm band. Just doing this during closed throttle, as you did is likely not adequate, as unburnt fuel doesn't have time to collect in the exhaust manifold. What you need is the engine to operate badly, partly burning fuel, when it is loaded, that is, when the throttle is open, so that unburnt fuel collects there which can ignite when the throttle is closed, again assuming the PAIR system is operational. This is, as far as I can tell, what happens when you replace your exhaust with an aftermarket unit without tuning for the new setup.
  3. Alter the valve timing so that your exhaust vavles open early, dumping unburnt fuel into the exhaust where it can ignite with a bang. You will, of course, also lose compression, power and fuel efficiency in the process.
I hope the above illustrates why doing what you want to do, wastes fuel, deteriorates engine operation and reliability and basically converts a racing machine into a boom box, damaging it in the process.

·
Premium Member
24,541 Posts
The correct title should read "De-tuning for deceleration pops", but anyway: As far as I can see, there would be three ways of getting pops during deceleration:

1. Excessively retard ignition timing and add fuel during closed throttle operation. This should allow unburnt fuel to enter the exhaust, together with air from your PAIR valves (assuming they haven't been blocked off), mimicking the anti-lag system on WRC machines, which I suppose is the intended goal. It would likely also mimic their reliability, at least where exhaust components (exhaust valves, headers, perhaps the can) are concerned, as I can't imagine the flaming hot gases will be very kind to them. One difference to the WRC case that should be pointed out, is that since GSXRs aren't turbocharged and don't suffer from lag, implementing an anti-lag system is entirely pointless.
  2. Significantly de-tune the AFR, that is enrich the charge, as leaning out would damage the engine, across the rpm band. Just doing this during closed throttle, as you did is likely not adequate, as unburnt fuel doesn't have time to collect in the exhaust manifold. What you need is the engine to operate badly, partly burning fuel, when it is loaded, that is, when the throttle is open, so that unburnt fuel collects there which can ignite when the throttle is closed, again assuming the PAIR system is operational. This is, as far as I can tell, what happens when you replace your exhaust with an aftermarket unit without tuning for the new setup.
  3. Alter the valve timing so that your exhaust vavles open early, dumping unburnt fuel into the exhaust where it can ignite with a bang. You will, of course, also lose compression, power and fuel efficiency in the process.
I hope the above illustrates why doing what you want to do, wastes fuel, deteriorates engine operation and reliability and basically converts a racing machine into a boom box, damaging it in the process.
Or the OP can go buy an older,carb'd GSXR....whilst riding,hit the kill switch and while the engine is off,lock the throttle wide open for a few seconds,then flip the kill switch back on and BOOM POP BANG all the popping/explosions he wants. Even more effective doing it under a long overpass or even through a tunnel.:cheers

·
Premium Member
2,082 Posts
Um... I thought deceleration popping was caused by a lean issue? Generally something you fix, not try to duplicate. Your just gunna ride around sounding like ur bike runs like horseshit.

I declare this a troll post. Maybe Frank da tank is back trying to rustle all you fag bags' feathers!

·
Banned
1,136 Posts
Thank You All,

For such comical relief this morning at work!!!!

Some of those posts (keeps me from adding one), were f'n hilarious!1

·
I want Rossi to fuck my ass...
1,375 Posts
Um... I thought deceleration popping was caused by a lean issue?

I believe that popping on decel is a rich issue as the popping is the extra fuel burning off. When mine would pop on decel i shot out a nice foot long blue flame and it reeked of fuel

·
Premium Member
2,082 Posts
Maybe it is different on FI bikes. I've tuned carbed bikes to stop popping by richening the mix. I can provide cites supporting a lean condition and deceleration popping. BUT until now, all I've ever wrenched on is carbed bikes.

·
Premium Member
3,519 Posts
Maybe it is different on FI bikes. I've tuned carbed bikes to stop popping by richening the mix. I can provide cites supporting a lean condition and deceleration popping. BUT until now, all I've ever wrenched on is carbed bikes.
Lean mix makes more sense. Too rich mixture won't ignite and there's more popping when pair is operational - leaner mixture.

I have added a lot of fuel for decel fuel map cells (fuel cut disabled) and there's zero popping.

·
Premium Member
2,082 Posts
I believe that popping on decel is a rich issue as the popping is the extra fuel burning off. When mine would pop on decel i shot out a nice foot long blue flame and it reeked of fuel
I would consider that different than popping. After-fire maybe. To me that low popopop as you let out of the throttle has to do with the hot oxygen mixing with residual fuel in the exhaust system and igniting itself. It's common practice to jet a carburetor after an after-market exhaust is installed because it leans out the mix and the increase flow will induce a decel pop.

·
I want Rossi to fuck my ass...
1,375 Posts
I would consider that different than popping. After-fire maybe. To me that low popopop as you let out of the throttle has to do with the hot oxygen mixing with residual fuel in the exhaust system and igniting itself.
Fair enough. We might be talking about different combustions and your explanation makes sense.

Lean mix makes more sense. Too rich mixture won't ignite and there's more popping when pair is operational - leaner mixture
Great point. I had forgotten about the PAIR.

I believe I stand corrected. Thanks fellas

·
Premium Member
1,993 Posts
:facepalm

·
Premium Member
24,541 Posts

·
Both Handsome AND Pretty!
19,104 Posts
ALL YOU BITCHES :piss BE WRONG!!!!

Popping is a street dance and one of the original funk styles that came from Fresno California during the late 1960s–1970s. The dance, first seen in the 1968 movie ''Chitty Chitty Bang Bang'' during a scene where actress and singer Sally Anne Howes acts as a music box doll, is based on the technique of quickly contracting and relaxing muscles to cause a jerk in the dancer's body, referred to as a pop or a hit. This is done continuously to the rhythm of a song in combination with various movements and poses.[1]
Closely related illusionary dance styles and techniques are often integrated into popping to create a more varied performance. These dance styles include the robot, waving and tutting. However, popping is distinct from breaking and locking, with which it is often confused. A popping dancer is commonly referred to as a popper.
As one of the earliest funk styles, popping is closely related to hip hop dancing. It is often performed in battles, where participants try to outperform each other in front of a crowd, giving room for improvisation and freestyle moves that are seldom seen in shows and performances, such as interaction with other dancers and spectators. Popping and related styles such as waving and tutting have also been incorporated into the electronica dance scene to some extent, influencing new styles such as liquid and digits and turfing. Popping is also some times performed at GDC camping trips on noobs who are under the influence of roofies.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts