Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all you race debaters out there! You can't compare Rossi against Mat . they ride totally different bikes. they are both good at what they do- they mastered their game. Until we see them both on the same track EVERYBODY is just specalating, assuming and theorizing shit.Everybody is saying mat won't go to GP, bring Rossi to AMA and he might get his ass whipped on these bigger and heavier bikes. Don't try to take what Mat has accomplished away. Rossi might be one of the best riders ever in my book but, you can't take anything from Matt. Mat rarely crashes and is very sharp. Moto GP Might be the Highest form of motorcycle racing but I think Matt can compete on a national level. Holla back

·
Premium Member
11,910 Posts
Hmmm, don't think that anyone would pay Rossi the $28M per year that he is getting now.

And sorry, I rather doubt that Mladin could do what Rossi has done on that Yam......when everyone knows that the Honda is the best bike out there on MotoGP.

·
Chubby Chaser
57,844 Posts
Thank you Howard Cosell

·
Registered
28 Posts
I'm not a big Honda fan, but we cant forget that when Rossi left Honda he did bring his ENTIRE tech and pit crew, how good was that Yamaha before Rossi and his crew applied their knowledge of setup to that Yamaha.?? No one can ever question Rossi's ability, and one of the things that make a good rider great is their ability to be just as technical as their pit guys. What makes guys like Rossi and Mladin great is their ability to jump on a motorcycle, put it through its paces, come back to the pits and be able to explain what the bike is doing, but even more then the explaining, is how those guys actually understand what the bike is doing and how to fix it. Believe it or not, I know many a great rider who dont have these skills, and I really think that is what seperates a good rider for the top guys...

Just my 2 cents

·
Registered
134 Posts
zook 600 has a good point about the difference in bikes though. True MotoGp bikes are lighter and faster; it would take more skill to sling a heavier bike doesn't have near the tire, suspension, chassis and brakes the MotoGP riders get to work with. Along with traction control (in matt's case is right hand) and other electronic duhickies the MotoGp bikes have. This all, in some ways, makes the bike easier to ride FASTER. I'm not trying to say that these bikes are easy to ride now, but they allow the rider to concentrate more on racing instead of being freaked out. Since the AMA bikes aren't to the level of MotoGP bikes I would say it's like comparing apples to oranges though. We will see when Rossi makes it to Laguna Seca and we can compare lap times with Matt.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I'm not a big Honda fan, but we cant forget that when Rossi left Honda he did bring his ENTIRE tech and pit crew, how good was that Yamaha before Rossi and his crew applied their knowledge of setup to that Yamaha.?? No one can ever question Rossi's ability, and one of the things that make a good rider great is their ability to be just as technical as their pit guys. What makes guys like Rossi and Mladin great is their ability to jump on a motorcycle, put it through its paces, come back to the pits and be able to explain what the bike is doing, but even more then the explaining, is how those guys actually understand what the bike is doing and how to fix it. Believe it or not, I know many a great rider who dont have these skills, and I really think that is what seperates a good rider for the top guys...

Just my 2 cents
Ya mean the better riders are more in tune with the ride?

Ya think!

·
Registered
283 Posts
Sorry but I just dont think Matt could even finish in the top ten in Moto GP for at least a season or two much less be able to show Rossi a front wheel. I do believe however that Rossi could be a threat to Matt, if he decided to, in a race or two. I think the only reason Matt hasn't made the jump to MGP is he likes to win (by a large margin at that) and if he goes to MGP he would look like a squid. Just my .2, I don't even have a bike right now.

·
Registered
970 Posts
Thank you Howard Cosell
My sentiments exactly.

Who gives a fuck what this guy thinks about riders.

Nicky bitch slapped Mad Matt before he left the AMA and look where Nicky is in Moto GP. I am a fan of both Nicky and Matt, but lets call it what it is. Further, recent comments by Matt suggest Matt's crew chief isn't a whole lot different from Rossi's. Matt's crew chief is also Matt's, not Yosh's. Matt didn't hire him to tell Matt what Matt likes to hear. He brought him on board to listen to what he needs and tell him what he's not seeing.

Two thumbs up and a schwang for Rossi. Of course he brought his crew with him, paid his own money to do it.

Winning races comes down to

1) Rider
2) Crew

3) Manufacturer

No Honda, its not the bike, its the rider. This is now a matter of History.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I like rossi alot but i can't truly say who's better until i see them compete. all this nicky hayden in moto gp talk won't tell us anything .

·
Premium Member
73,384 Posts
while i do agree with the fact that mat would not be winning races in motogp, wtf does this have to do with the gixxer 1000? shouldn't this be posted somewhere else?

·
Registered
515 Posts
I think it was about a year ago, maybe more when during a interview they asked Matt about going to Moto GP and he himself said that he was too big to be competitive. It surprised me to hear it, but he is quite a bit heavier than those MotoGP guys. Then this year he is saying he would go if he was on a competitive bike......don't know why he changed his tune.

·
Chubby Chaser
57,844 Posts
I think it was about a year ago, maybe more when during a interview they asked Matt about going to Moto GP and he himself said that he was too big to be competitive. It surprised me to hear it, but he is quite a bit heavier than those MotoGP guys. Then this year he is saying he would go if he was on a competitive bike......don't know why he changed his tune.
I never realized until lately how tiny most roadracers are. Mat is only 170 lbs, and for that, it's considered big, LOL.

·
Registered
3,047 Posts
Mat was already in moto GP.

I had the weight discussion on another board and it was met with firece opposition. Some people just don't understand how much 20-30 pounds difference really matters.

·
Registered
536 Posts
The closest that you'll have to compare them is when they run Laguna Seca. Track time to Track time.

·
Registered
515 Posts
When he was on Speed (Two wheel Tues) he looked comparable to the Host Greg I thought.
So to me that looks like even more than 170lbs. Anyway, most roadracers are less than 160lbs. 20lbs is huge. Does anyone remember what interview that was where Mat was commenting on the rider weights?

I never realized until lately how tiny most roadracers are. Mat is only 170 lbs, and for that, it's considered big, LOL.

·
Registered
296 Posts
They are both great riders no doubt.

Rossi is the man. He is in a class of his own.

It would be interesting to see if he could with the Championship on a Ducati, if he doesn't get bored first and switch to WRC or F1.

I highly doubt MotoGP bikes are easier to ride.

MotoGP is an awesome racing series to watch.

·
Registered
414 Posts
Nobody can touch Rossi -- he won't be beat for years to come. I just watched the two-disk DVD set of the last four years or so of Motogp... it is even said in the video how there is no competition for Rossi in MotoGP right now -- I tend to agree. I also think Matt would get his ass kicked, at least for a while -- it takes a long time to ramp-up skills on a new machine, as someone stated earlier. The fact is, Rossi would win on a razor scooter (the one WITHOUT the motor on it).

CD

1 - 20 of 35 Posts