Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok well i just got a black limited edition and was taking it for a test drive to break it in and i am having trouble upshifting.. 1st to 2nd is ok but it varies on the other gears. I take it up to 6500 rpm and two finger the clutch and up on the shifter and it doesn't go into gear. I try again and it will go the second or third try. but it doesnt always do it. I have 53 km on it... I don't know much about this sort of stuff so if someone can tell me if there is an adjustment i can make or something would be greatly appreciated.....sorry in advance for being stupid

·
Registered
545 Posts
If it shifts ok down, but not up, can you turn the adjusting bolt on the end of the shift lever rod to make it longer? It is possible that it's out of adjustment, and not twisting far enough in one direction. I believe it pushes on upshift, pulls on downshift- but adjust accordingly (shorter if it pulls the rod backwards on upshift, and longer if it pushes it forward on upshift). That would be my starting point, as it seems you shouldn't be having any serious issues on a new bike (especially if the dealer checked it before you left) and this could be a simple answer.

Good luck, and let us know what finally fixes it

·
Chubby Chaser
57,033 Posts
Still very early.

Tranny needs to be broken in just like the cylinders do. Keep do more deliberate up and down shifting, work your way all the way through the gears. Eventually you can just do clutchless upshifts, they are much smoother with a constant mesh gearbox like your bike has. I almost never use the cluth to upshift anymore. If I remember, getting into and out of 3rd is a little notchy at first.

I've got about 1700 miles on mine now and the gears are like butter.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.