Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
am in the process of making an aluminum dash panel for my 86 750 does anybody know how the trip odemeter knob and stem comes out of the side of the speedo housing I really do not wwant to break mine.

------------------
86 totally non stock

·
Registered
805 Posts
On most of them, there is a phillips screw in the middle of the knob.

Shine a flashlight on the end of the knob and you should be able to see it. Hold the knob and apply firm pressure as you turn. It has been in there a while and it will be a little hard to turn at first.

Good Luck!

------------------

"Some people make things happen, some watch things happen, while others wonder what happened!"
'86 1100G
2 - '87 1100H
'88 1100J
And a few Harleys

·
Registered
448 Posts
On my 92 1100 the knob just comes out, nothing hoding it in but friction. Real scary the first time it came out when I was resetting it (though it was broken
)

------------------
Formula956
[email protected]
formula956.gixxer.com

·
Registered
288 Posts
Let me know how that dash goes Doug. I've been thinking of different ways to replace the foam dash on my 86 too. I've thought about making a mold from the old one and creating a new one by pouring a resin into it then cleaning it up and having it chrome plated. It's too bad lockhart doesn't make a carbon fiber dash for our bikes like they do for newer models. The aluminum idea sounds cool too. Anyways good luck with your project.

------------------

Youth and talent are no match for age and treachery!

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
found that the trip knob is a friction fit. I am still whittling away on the aluminum dash which I don't think will be a big problem to install but we shall see what troubles I run into. I'am thinking of an engine turned finish for the aluminum as opposed to a high polish due to reflection problems when riding.

------------------
86 totally non stock

·
Registered
17,099 Posts
talisian, the dash from the first 1100's (and, i think, the 87 750) are aluminum. the gauges from the 750 should bolt right on.

i still have a complete (foam) dash from a canadian spec 750 sitting in my closet. last i checked, one or two new species of life have spawned on it.

------------------

[This message has been edited by jeff (edited 03-17-2001).]

1 - 6 of 6 Posts