Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, there's a way to take care of some thing on my 750K5 that gives me a tad more hp on the low end, and raises my max speed a bit. Anyone have any links, pics, or info on doing this to their bike? I keep seeing the letters TRE and think it stands for Timing Retard Eliminator, and understand the timing retard at low revs, but in the 10-14500 range, is there something keeping me from going any faster than the 186 it's "governed" to? Is it timing, or just a factory electronics piece doing that? I'm not looking to bust 186 mph out on the local street or highway, I'm just curious as to what this TRE thing is and what taking it out will do benefit wise. Thanks all!

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Lol... Hey, I punctuated! Are you making fun of my gramatical skills cause if you are I think that you should read my post again and see that I used 9 commas 2 periods 3 question marks and 1 exclamation point and I think that goes to demonstrate the full range of punctuation and to show my oratorical skill or whatever you call it when you write and stuff cause that's what I call it is "and stuff" and I would never write just a big long run-on sentence cause those just irritate me, even back when I first learned what they were I was annoyed by run-on sentences cause I had this friend who would just write and write and write and never use them, his name was Chris by the way and he always just wrote without any sort of punctuation so I learned from him and knew not to write that way cause I didn't want to write like a retard or anything like that and when Chris told me I did but I was like, "No I don't" and he was like, "Yes you DO" and was like "Shut up" and he was like "No" and I was like...

Yee-uh... let's hear it for that one, that was harder than I thought it'd be to type, hehe.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Oh, and thanks for the link by the way, I'm about to head over to Radio Shack to pick that stuff up right now...

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So now I'm sitting here reading and thinking, and I'm wondering if anyone knows if the rev limit on their bike is for each gear. Does it vary with the gear? It seems to me that the only way to really limit the speed on a bike is to limit the revs. I've only topped out my bike in 6th once, and it just seemed like it should have revved higher, but wouldn't. And after all the reading I've done on this TRE, it seems that it might be possible that in 6th gear, the rev limit is set a bit lower than in gears 1 through 5. Anyone have any feedback on that? I can't remember what the rev limit is, but... if I put in a 6.8k ohm resistor, instead of the 15k one, then the ECU would think it's always in 5th, and therefore, if the ECU really does have a different rev limit for different gears, then I'd have no issues with the rev's being cut before they normally would. I don't plan on spending a whole lot of time in 6th with the rev's pegged, so it's isn't a huge issue, but before making my TRE I just wonder if I should build it that way instead. Anyone have any thoughts on that? The 6th gear early rev limit thing, not my desire to go faster than my bike will right now...

·
Registered
3,371 Posts
The top speed limiter on the GSXR does not just limit speed by limiting RPMs.
The limiter works by reading the speed sensor, and when 186 mph is reached, the cylinder injector at position #2 is shut off. ( I think it's number two, at least ) . To shut down injector #2, the ECM must see a speed of 186 and also it must be receiving the resistance signal from the GPS telling it "I'm in 6th gear". If the ECM doesn't get the 6th gear resistor signal, it won't shut off the #2 injector when you hit 186.
Well, that's my understanding -- please correct me if I'm wrong.

In contrast, when you hit the "rev limiter", ALL injectors stop functioning. That part is right out of the shop manual.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
That makes sense, and is kinda what I was thinking. Or something long those lines anyway. I didn't think it wast the actualy redline "rev limiter" otherwise it'd bounce like it does normally, cause that's a bit violent, and mine just seemed to not be gettin the power I thought it should. But shutting off an injector, and how it knows to do that... thanks for the input, sounds good to me.

I have a the switchable JSD kit coming (decided not get it cause it's got the factory plugs), so once I get it done I guess I'll know for sure, and post whatever else I find out.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts