Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
just got one of these replacement keys off the net...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Blank-Key-Suzuki-GSXR-600-750-1000-Hayabusa-Black-/300488438573?pt=UK_Motorcycle_Parts&hash=item45f681b32d

key looks & feels just like the genuine suzuki key... what part of the suzuki key is the transponder chip located.... i understand that it has to be fitted to the aftermarket key... has anyone done this mod.....as i dont want to totally wreck my old key trying to find where transponder chip is located.. old key still starts bike...but is in abit of a state badly worn..

:cheers

Attachments

·
You should listen to me. No, seriously, listen to
8,307 Posts
You better have a functioning spare key before you start fiddling with this because if you don't and you screw up, you'll need a new ECM and matching keys.

It's my understanding that the immobilizer keys disassemble like this:

and the transponder is inside somewhere. Remove it and install on your new blank.

I think that the immobilizer key blanks may also come in versions that don't disassemble. There they have a "blank" transponder and you must take the new blank and your functioning key to a locksmith for cloning. It's not clear to me that your blank is either type.

P.S. I see that there's now a service for people who have an ECM and don't have a functioning key but it's expensive.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
my genuine suzuki key seems a little different....? it does not have a self taper screw...it like metal a pin not sure how to get out with out messing up key its for a uk bike

:dunno

update .. done key mod easy... first dig out back of key so it looks the the same as my picture below... i used a hot iron then just push pin out. it comes out very easy.... key will then come apart the same as the picture BILLV posted... the after-market key use a self taper screw...genuine suzuki key uses a pin..

the pictures below shows transponder chip & holder... easy now put transponder chip & holder into new key... put key back together with the self taper screw re-stick suzuki badges....they will self-stick..... then put your old key back together with-out the chip.... then get your new key cut ....finshed

Attachments

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
put transponder chip into holder than put new key back together...with the self taper screw.. re-stick suzuki badges...then get new key cut easy you now have a new key with working transponder... plus you have saved of loads of money

... NOT BUYING OEM SUZUKI KEY & HAVING IT RE-PROGRAMED..

·
8,307 Posts
Was that just a roll pin holding things together? Your pictures show two black parts that fit into the head of the key. Is the smaller part the transponder?

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Was that just a roll pin holding things together? Your pictures show two black parts that fit into the head of the key. Is the smaller part the transponder?
yes it was just a roll pin...transponder is the smaller part.... the other part is the holder....had key cut today ...bike starts fine.. my genuine suzuki key...had a split in the metal part it had become thin on the tip.... many thanks for your help..

Attachments

·
Loves MASSIVE CASCADES of jizz on his face
5,361 Posts
Us Yanks don't get nifty things like that transponder. Apparently, sportbikes never get stolen over here in the United States. :wait

·
Registered
542 Posts
^yup...my newly acquired k6 does too...
key is in great shape but i would like a spare. what's involved in getting a spare?

·
8,307 Posts
Do both of the previous two posters have genuine US model bikes? The immobilizer blanks cost Suzuki more and offer no additional functionality in a non-immobilizer bike. I suspect that both of you have non-original keys if they actually are the immobilizer type. GIX750 is particularly suspicious if he doesn't have the extra key that came with the bike. As the first picture shows, reproduction blanks are hard to tell from OEM.

·
Registered
542 Posts
well..i'm the 3rd owner of this bike. all i know is i got 1 key and I'd like a spare. i had 1 cut off my key and it would turn the switch and open the trunk but wouldnt start the bike.

·
8,307 Posts
^If you have an immobilizer equipped model, a key cut off an original won't start the bike until you get the transponder programmed to match the original (assuming that there's a transponder inside the head). Locksmiths with cloning devices can do that. If you don't have an immobilizer, any key that turns the ignition switch should allow the bike to start.

Ron Ayres lists the US bikes as getting the 37146-41G10 non-immobilizer key for around $20. The 37146-41G00 immobilizer key is almost $50. I've seen Chinese non-immobilizer blanks sold for as little as $.12 shipped.

You're playing Russian roulette if you have an immobilizer equipped bike and no spare key (I recommend two spares kept in different locations). You're in big trouble if you lose the key.

·
Registered
542 Posts
^If you have an immobilizer equipped model, a key cut off an original won't start the bike until you get the transponder programmed to match the original (assuming that there's a transponder inside the head). Locksmiths with cloning devices can do that. If you don't have an immobilizer, any key that turns the ignition switch should allow the bike to start.

Ron Ayres lists the US bikes as getting the 37146-41G10 non-immobilizer key for around $20. The 37146-41G00 immobilizer key is almost $50. I've seen Chinese non-immobilizer blanks sold for as little as $.12 shipped.

You're playing Russian roulette if you have an immobilizer equipped bike and no spare key (I recommend two spares kept in different locations). You're in big trouble if you lose the key.
hence the reason i'm inquiring about how to acquire a spare. and yes...it is a immobilizer equipped bike. that said...does anyone know if i can get a spare from suzuki and if so, for how much?

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
hence the reason i'm inquiring about how to acquire a spare. and yes...it is a immobilizer equipped bike. that said...does anyone know if i can get a spare from suzuki and if so, for how much?

yes you can get a fully working immobilizer key from suzuki but cost loads of money
i am checking price NOW will update KEY,BLANK (IMMO 37146-41G00 (replaces 37146-41G10) got price about $60
.........................................................................................

yes.. follow my how to do.. at the start of this post...
get one of these Chinese-immobilizer blank key .. they are cheap but good quality

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Blank-Key-Suzuki-GSXR-600-750-1000-Hayabusa-Black-/300488438573?pt=UK_Motorcycle_Parts&hash=item45f681b32d&clk_rvr_id=342938361614

they look & feel the same as the oem suzuki key.. cheap on ebay.. follow my how to do pictures to get yourself a working key... easy to do

because you only have 1 key left...you cant afford to f*ck up that last key... i can do this mod for you it is a very easy mod....

·
8,307 Posts
If you buy on ebay make sure that it comes with the immobilizer transponder. The guy that was selling the blanks that I show in post #2 was selling them without the transponder. At that time I didn't understand why a disassemblable key was being made and what his comments about moving the part referred to. It was only later that I realized what he was talking about.

In the US, American Suzuki will sell you a precut key if you have the key code (metal tag supplied with the bike). That would be very nice in terms of getting a spare key with the transponder already programmed (probably also pricey). That service may not be available elsewhere but it wouldn't hurt to inquire.

·
Registered
542 Posts
maybe i'm missing something but i don't need the transponder from my present key swapped over to a new blank. i need a blank with a transponder so it can be cut and programed to my bike.

·
8,307 Posts
You can buy 37146-41G00 from any Suzuki dealer (it'll be pricey). There seem to be several suitable keys for sale here. But, as previously stated, make sure that it includes the transponder.

·
Premium Member
1,097 Posts
giz750 whats the ecu number on your bike
it will finish with something like 41g00 or 41g10 or 41g50, 41g60, 41g70

g10, 50 and 70 are immobiliser models and usually found in SA, AU and EU

1 - 20 of 24 Posts