Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Gents I have a 86 1100-G punched (1220cc) heads portted and polished. I did not do any of this work my self the previous owner did. however my problem is when I give my bike a run 70 mph or more I feel vibration around from the tranny. It seems to stay even when I slow down. Is this normal? It has done this since I got it but Today it is real noticable. It's nowhere near close to being due for a oil change. The oil is between the F and L on the lil window. Any help will be appreciated.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
How would I go about checking this. I know I'm a real rookie but I'm willing to learn and try. what do I look for? thanx in adavance.

·
Registered
17,099 Posts
sorry, i missed this thread for a few days.

on the right side of the motor, the engine cover that has the oil sight window on it is the clutch cover. undo all the allen bolts, and the cover will come off and you will see the clutch. you'd need to actually undo the four or five bolts in the middle of the clutch and remove the clutch fibers and plates so that you can thoroughly inspect the outer clutch basket and inner hub.

you'd be looking for damage, like a broken hub 'finger', which would throw the balance off. the outer clutch hub is geared directly to the crankshaft....so if it were out of balance, you'd feel it as a vibration.

what's your email address? i can send you a picture of what the clutch looks like and how to go about disassembling it, but the picture will be for a 2000 750.....not exactly the same as your bike, but the pictures will be close enough.

i'd advise purchasing a shop manual for your bike, it will walk you through everything step by step.

you can order one at your suzuki dealer or from http://www.repairmanual.net

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I know in most cases the shifting fork can be the issue with me being kicked out of 2nd gear from time to time. but would a bad basket contribute to this problem?

·
Registered
17,099 Posts
you've got mail.

if the clutch basket were damaged to the point where it wouldn't allow the clutch to disengage completely and consistently, it's possible that that might result in an incomplete shift.....especially the 1-2 shift because it's the longest one....

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ok I'm going to check my clutch basket on my day off (thursday)What tools will I need. I noticed in the pics that you sent me there was a tool for the clutch. Where do I get one of those? What do I look for on the clutch and clutch basket?

·
Registered
17,099 Posts
you don't need the tool, that's just to help hold the clutch basket stationary when you're undoing the clutch hub nut (the big one in the center after you remove all the discs and plates) to remove the clutch basket.

but you won't really need to remove the clutch basket itself, just removing the plates and discs will expose the clutch basket so that you can take a look at it.

you'd be looking for broken pieces on the clutch basket and inner hub.....basically any damage that would cause the clutch to be off balance and cause a vibration when the engine is running.

[ 09-18-2001: Message edited by: jeff ]

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ok two more stupid questions. if you don't mind. Will I need to take all of the oil out of the machine before this operation? and will I be able to do this with the bike on the side stand?

Ok I lied one more Jeff any one on this board can see that you are da man. I see you on all of sections with solid advice. Do you do work in a shop or something? you seem to know about all of the Gixxer old and new! by the way thanks again for the info man.

·
Premium Member
3,183 Posts
Put it on the sidestand and carry on. Unless you've overfilled it, you should be ok. I always put a new gasket in. Up to you.

Jeff is not human. He is a neural-matrix repository of all GSXR in the original Japanese. The heuristics are phenomenal. See how the English/Jap/English interface doesn't read like your VCR manual.Still, I would be polite to Jeff, otherwise you might find your Mr. Coffee reprogrammed.

·
Registered
17,099 Posts
yeah, it'll be okay with the oil in the bike....but if you do discover damage to the clutch basket - for example, pieces broken off - then you'll probably want to at least drain the oil and see if you can get the metal bits out......if not drop the oil pan entirely to make absolutely sure that you've gotten all the pieces.

p.s. i don't do mr. coffee's.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts