Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to speak about traffic light etiquette and get your thoughts.
Twice this week, commuting to work, I've been at the front of the queue waiting to turn right on my GSXR1000.
Twice, while sitting there, guys have appeared to my right and positioned themselves in front of me.
One on a fazer 600, one on a FMX650 Honda.
So, when the lights go green, I find myself 'behind' them and have had to overtake them a bit further up the road.
One (FMX650 guy) even had the cheek to shake his head at me when I overtook, so when we stopped at some lights I had a proper go at him.
I pointed out two things;

1. I was ahead of him in the queue at the lights, he should have sat behind me
2. Am I supposed to sit behind a 33bhp bike when I've got 160bhp?

Am I wrong to be pissed off that these two dickheads didn't sit behind me at the lights? :dunno

·
Super Moderator
15,133 Posts
Doesn't matter what the bhp is, if you're sitting there first waiting to turn right then you have the right of way before anyone else coming up behind you.

·
Captain Obvious ... because obviously it’s obvious
3,844 Posts
I guess you need to position yourself where they are going, because clearly people take it as an invitation.

·
IM THE BRONZE
1,336 Posts
Yes you are wrong to be pissed. What value accrues to you when you become emotionally engaged? None. But great value comes to those that are peaceful and forgiving. Friends are better than enemies. It is highly unlikely anyone thinks they are dominating you when they positioned their vehicle in front of yours. You may go around them at your leisure, what is the half second lost when it may be regained so effortlessly later?

Just pull farther forward. Be glad you live somewhere where it's legal to split lanes. Be glad you don't drive around lifted mega trucks with nuts hanging off the back end, where people feel vindictive that you are able to go somewhere they cannot, despite their own personal choice to drive an oversized vehicle and their choice to sit in traffic...
Ok, Ghandi.:spit

I'd wheelie past them.:flipoff

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Usually I find bikers let the faster bike go off first, are you just a bit slow off at the lights? Maybe a bit of eye contact might help. Are you actually at the stop line or ahead of it, as usually when you split you end up in advance of the stop line.

I don't think it's wrong for you to overtake them further on down the road, I'd always let a rider going quicker than me past even if they were just on a 33BHP bike... Always ride at a pace you think is safe.

·
Banned
38 Posts
It's just another example of how people these days think only of themselves.

What did the guy say when you confronted him?

·
Registered
181 Posts
I'm with Truck, simply snick into first. Bail off and around any thing in your way, on one or two wheels. Give a five finger wave or one finger wave as needed. Hit second gear and kiss all shit goodbye. On a 1000, the fast forward works very well. Your smile should be permanent. You're on the best bike made. Never ride pissed, unless it's for money 💰 🏁🏍🍻

·
Registered
28 Posts
I guess you need to position yourself where they are going, because clearly people take it as an invitation.
I'm sitting behind the line, like I should be.
These dickheads are going over the line before stopping.

Usually I find bikers let the faster bike go off first, are you just a bit slow off at the lights? .
No, I'm not slow away from the lights.
How would they know anyway, they don't know me. :dunno
Seems incredibly arrogant/stupid for someone on an FMX650 to 'assume' someone on a GSXR1000 will be happy for them to 'steal' priority at the lights.
It'd be like some short guy going in front of you at the queue in a restaurant.

I think I'll continue to teach them a lesson if they do this.
As someone alluded to earlier, they've shown me no respect, I'll show them no respect in return.:punk

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
I'm sitting behind the line, like I should be.
These dickheads are going over the line before stopping.
If you are lane splitting (filtering) then you are likely to sit past the front line, it's safter that way so when the lights change you are not crunched between cars and you are clearly going before the cars. If you don't sit behind the line then others will go past the line and hence may ride off first unless you are quick to pull away - that's life

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
If you are lane splitting (filtering) then you are likely to sit past the front line, it's safter that way so when the lights change you are not crunched between cars and you are clearly going before the cars. If you don't sit behind the line then others will go past the line and hence may ride off first unless you are quick to pull away - that's life
I'm not filtering, I'm at the front of the lane.
Sitting there to the right hand side of the lane (not the middle), right hand indicator on, waiting to turn right.
These dickheads are then appearing to my right and stopping slightly in front of me (and over the line in the process)
Their positioning is basically saying "I'm going before you" :nono
My whole point is, why the hell don't they just sit behind me?? :dunno
It's just something I wouldn't do.
Even if the guy at the front of the lane had a scooter, I'd wait behind him and then overtake once he's made the turn.

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
I'm not filtering, I'm at the front of the lane.
Sitting there to the right hand side of the lane (not the middle), right hand indicator on, waiting to turn right.
These dickheads are then appearing to my right and stopping slightly in front of me (and over the line in the process)
Their positioning is basically saying "I'm going before you" :nono
My whole point is, why the hell don't they just sit behind me?? :dunno
It's just something I wouldn't do.
Even if the guy at the front of the lane had a scooter, I'd wait behind him and then overtake once he's made the turn.
I suppose it depends, can they sit behind you but still ahead of the car? It's best to avoid being along side a car when the lights change for obvious reasons.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I suppose it depends, can they sit behind you but still ahead of the car? It's best to avoid being along side a car when the lights change for obvious reasons.
That's a good point.
However, isn't this also bad riding on their part?
They should surely be looking ahead and thinking "hmmm...if I go to the front I'm going to have to position myself in a dickhead way alongside that guy..."
If they're getting to the front and then being caught out with nowhere else to go, that's a pretty bad lack of awareness?
I do sometimes think there is an assumption on riders' parts that we will all excuse each other's behaviour, however bad.:nono

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
That's a good point.
However, isn't this also bad riding on their part?
They should surely be looking ahead and thinking "hmmm...if I go to the front I'm going to have to position myself in a dickhead way alongside that guy..."
If they're getting to the front and then being caught out with nowhere else to go, that's a pretty bad lack of awareness?
I do sometimes think there is an assumption on riders' parts that we will all excuse each other's behaviour, however bad.:nono
Yes true, but if you know you can pass the line and get to the front you most likely will do. Personally I don't have any issue with this, I mean what's the worst case you get held up a few seconds by a slightly slower bike in front of you until you can pass them? How is it in any way different from pulling in front of a car when filtering?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I mean what's the worst case you get held up a few seconds by a slightly slower bike in front of you until you can pass them?
Well, as mentioned above, the worst case scenario is that said dickhead (IMO) takes the hump when you go flying past and starts shaking his head.
He'd effectively 'blocked' me at the lights, then it looks like he expected to stay in front from that point forward.
Maybe he thought I was trying to be billy-big-bollocks going past him at high speed, whereas I was actually just going the speed I was going to go anyway.
Bizarre that he thought he could 'take the lead' at the lights and then dictate the speed all the way after....:suicide

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Well, as mentioned above, the worst case scenario is that said dickhead (IMO) takes the hump when you go flying past and starts shaking his head.
He'd effectively 'blocked' me at the lights, then it looks like he expected to stay in front from that point forward.
Maybe he thought I was trying to be billy-big-bollocks going past him at high speed, whereas I was actually just going the speed I was going to go anyway.
Bizarre that he thought he could 'take the lead' at the lights and then dictate the speed all the way after....:suicide
I fully agree with you here, if someone wants to overtake another biker (or car for that matter) there's no reason to be upset by it, especially if they overtook you at the lights :wtf

1 - 20 of 22 Posts