Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys!
I need some advice about tires, I ride a Gsxr 1000 k5.
And the up comming season will be 50% trackdays and 50% streetriding.
I’m looking for a tire that will get warm fast, and have some grip in the rain. (Swedish trackdays..)
I’m thinking
Bridgestone battlax s22
Bridgestone battlax r11
Or maybe
Michelin power cup evo

the bike will go on a trailer to the trackdays and I don’t use tire warmers.

cheers!
/Pierre

·
Registered
34 Posts
I’m using power cup evo for road and track days, since 3/4 years
on the track, tyre is perfect, also without warmers (is available in 1 compound only, has a much wide range of use compared to other track tyres). Don’t overheat, last a little more than Pirelli

defjnitaly is not a tyre good for wet road. Like any other race tyre, btw.

Consider the new power rs plus, last longer than power cup evo, is more oriented to road but perfect for track days too. Is a little more prone to overheating in intense track use

with powercup , mixing track and road, I do no more than 3000 km. Power rs do more

·
Registered
102 Posts
They don't last long, but they stick-Pirelli Supercorsa's are great in my opinion. Ran the Bridgestone S20, 21 and haven't tried the s22...but they held well and lasted many miles..but the tire is not nearly as sticky. They may be good for you, and worked OKAY in the rain as long as you didn't lean bike past the sipes(the water grooves in tire). Suitable for mid to faster riders..anything more and go with a more race specific tire.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
They don't last long, but they stick-Pirelli Supercorsa's are great in my opinion. Ran the Bridgestone S20, 21 and haven't tried the s22...but they held well and lasted many miles..but the tire is not nearly as sticky. They may be good for you, and worked OKAY in the rain as long as you didn't lean bike past the sipes(the water grooves in tire). Suitable for mid to faster riders..anything more and go with a more race specific tire.
Thanks for your input!
I’m going to buy the Michelin power cup evo 2, I accedently sign up on the Michelin power weekend :))
So now I have to wait two more month before I see the sun again in this awsome country..

cheers, and thanks again👍🏻
/Pierre

·
Registered
45 Posts
what level of track riding do you do ? and what is your track and road experience level?

reason for asking, is that its all nice and well to put a Power, R11 or SC on and have surplus amounts of grip on the track if you can get the tyre hot enough or keep the tyre hot enough but that moves you away from having the required tyres for the road,

without warmers, it'll take maybe 2 or 3 laps to get the tyre carcass and rim up to the required temps on a hot,dry and sunny day just to get the most out of a tyre that won't last long anyway , around here, we get about 5-6 laps per session at trackdays.
That leaves you with 2 or maybe 3 laps to run as needed.

Now when you add water into the equation, keeping a R11/SC hot enough on a damp track takes a lot more than to just get it to temp.

I know some people would not agree, but I also run my road bike, that's running Pilot Road 4 or 5, on the track when I plan on not running warmers, according to me its the best road tyre out there, and I can run relatively fast times on the track with them, downside is that after 2 or 3 hot laps, they start to overheat, but that could be slightly managed by playing with tyre pressures. but after 2 hot laps the session will be over anyway.

unless you are running with or planning on running with the upper en boys in B class (A=racers,B=full track bikes with fast riders,C=fast street bikes and D= novice) then there is no need to run either of them,
a good multi-compound road tyre (Pilot Roads, S22 and so on) would be good enough as they warm up quickly, and work amazingly on the road, and on-the-road performance is the more important part to me in this situation, as you could get hurt a lot more on the road than on the track, so you need tyres that suits the more important one, grip is only a small part of a tyre's designed purpose, and running a R11/SC tyre that is designed to be a "street legal" race tyre does not seem to be designed for mainly street riding...

or, if you are running with the fast guys, get the R11 / powers and run warmers, then you can enjoy full sessions at a hot pace

1 - 8 of 8 Posts