Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Couldn't find an answer in the search but feel free to direct me to a proper topic in case of a dupe!

I've been track racing for a while now on both karting and full-size tracks. Sometimes there were trainings run by individual instructors and I've seen them riding with their trainees as passengers, which made me think how does it feel like?

If it's worth trying, there're some full-dressed chicks willing to do so ( 0:) ), would you recommend it? Any pro-tips?

·
Currently using pedals..
2,979 Posts
There're? I'm not a grammar Nazi, but this gave me a good laugh :lol

I saw that my last track day too. I don't believe that it would benefit you in anyway as the rider. I think it's more for the passenger in order to see and feel everything that the rider does, including lines, braking, and throttle control.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Haha good point, that was a looong weekend :D

My first thought was that riding alone must be so easy afterwards. Giving a ride on the streets made me more confident in the corners but that was before I ever hit the track.

·
Currently using pedals..
2,979 Posts
On the street is fine and all, even a moderate pace on the track... But if you're talking about pushing the limits on the track with a passenger with the mind set that it will make you a better rider, I think it is a bad idea. Your suspension settings and tire pressures are set to work with a specific weight. Throw on another 150-200lbs and the your bike won't perform like it should - especially near the limit.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Got it! basically I want her to have fun so would plan as safe as possible. Empty track, warm tyres and a reasonable speed.
Will share the thoughts unless someone dissuades me from doing it.

·
Premium Member
73,190 Posts
Are you talking about you riding with a passenger? I know of a few orgs that do that, but only certain coaches are allowed. They don't let just anyone go out there with a passenger. The bike needs to be set up properly, with hand grips on the gas tank, etc...

·
Currently using pedals..
2,979 Posts
The instructor I saw only had grips on the passenger seat. He yelled at the student, patted the rear seat, student hopped on and off they went. Not my idea of a fun time :lol

·
Registered
70 Posts
Sportbike Track Time allows a two up ride in the last Novice session of the day. Passenger must be wearing all the protective gear required to ride in the Novice group and of course the bike must have a passenger seating area as well as passenger foot rests.

·
Premium Member
73,190 Posts
Sportbike Track Time allows a two up ride in the last Novice session of the day. Passenger must be wearing all the protective gear required to ride in the Novice group and of course the bike must have a passenger seating area as well as passenger foot rests.
Yeah, I know a former couple that used to do that... They turned 28's at Jennings 2-up, faster than anyone in N or I group that day.

·
Premium Member
73,190 Posts
Yeah, Chris and Lora did 28's at a Jennings day we all did together.

·
Registered
368 Posts
I would not even go on the back with Rossi. I'm too chicken to go pillion. Wonder if my wife would go with me on the track!

·
Registered
70 Posts
I've been out on a session several times when those two were out there riding two up..... It's pretty impressive. :punk

·
Premium Member
73,190 Posts
Yeah, that is for sure.

We all did a few track days together back in the day, me, Chris, Joe Melendez, and Jessie Ringley. Had a fucking blast out there with those guys for sure.

We were there the day the cocky guy with the brand new Desmo highsided on hot pit, we were all cracking the fuck up.

:lmao

·
Registered
70 Posts
Yea, I don't see him much these days at the track (Sportbike Track Time), here's doing a lot of WERA events I think.

·
Loves MASSIVE CASCADES of jizz on his face
5,361 Posts
Not my idea of a fun time :lol
Lol, you're in the minority mindset then. Every person I've spoken to, male or female, who has ridden as a passenger on the back of an instructor's bike (out here Z2 uses FZ-1's) has come back into the pits raving about it. They can find out where reference points are on the track from a pro riders's POV. I'd do it if the waiting list wasn't so long. :fact

1 - 18 of 18 Posts