Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys,

I'm finally doing my first track day at Road Atlanta June 16th with ridepre. I'll be on my k6 600 streetbike that i've owned since new. I'm nervous and excited to get off the street. It's feels overwhelming to make the transition. I'm curious if anyone on here will be there that could give me any advice or Road Atlanta in general.

·
Premium Member
73,190 Posts
Welcome to the addiction...

Find out beforehand what the track and organization require you to do to prep your bike for your class.

Bring tons of water, some sport drinks, food that is high in protein, some shade (like a pop up canopy), and a folding chair.

Bring tools.

Make sure your bike is in good mechanical shape, with no leaks. Make sure your tires and brakes have lots of life left in them, and make sure your chain isn't too tight. Tape up your lights/mirrors/turn signals with blue painters tape, and unplug them at the bulbs.

Full leathers, a SNELL/DOT approved helmet, gauntlet style gloves, road race boots, and a back protector are usually the minimum gear required.

Leave your ego at the door. No one is getting a factory ride from a track day. Listen and learn everything you can from the coaches. Pay special attention if a coach taps his tail, that means to follow his line because you are missing the apexes. Take it slow. Get to know the track first, get to know the line, and drill that. Go slow. Don't rush it at first. The speed will come with good technique.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the info anthony. I have actually been to road atlanta several times, just first time on it. I won this trackday from the vendor at moto america race. I've signed up for a barber trackday in november with n2td. Thinking of doing ed bargy school in sept. But I don't know if one trackday would be enough.

·
Premium Member
73,190 Posts
Just have fun, that is the most important thing.

I am a coach with Team Pro-Motion, and one of the things we see the most is people coming to the track thinking that they are the fastest thing since no one can keep up with them on their local roads. They usually go out and try to show how fast they are, and either crash, take someone else out, get humbled by a little kid on a 250, or just have a bad time because they can't admit that they need coaching.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ill keep that on my mind. I think my ego has relaxed a little since I hit 30. I'm hoping to become a better rider at a safe environment.

·
Premium Member
73,190 Posts
Sounds good to me!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Just have fun, that is the most important thing.

I am a coach with Team Pro-Motion, and one of the things we see the most is people coming to the track thinking that they are the fastest thing since no one can keep up with them on their local roads. They usually go out and try to show how fast they are, and either crash, take someone else out, get humbled by a little kid on a 250, or just have a bad time because they can't admit that they need coaching.
Ive seen that so many times! im a decent A pace on the track but slow as hell on the street. I started riding a lot slower on the street once I got into the track. its funny when people talk about how much faster they are on the street.

op, just go to have fun! worry about being smooth on/off the throttle and brakes and things you want to work on like your body position. learn the track...braking points, apex, where you want to throttle out, etc. the speed will come later. oh and prepare to get bit by the bug too! youll be hooked

·
Registered
296 Posts
Yep, the guys that usually have something to "prove", usually get sent out in an ambulance. Or if their lucky, they will take a light crash, or get flagged out for being a danger to others.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts