Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I use Diablo Corsa tyres, usually at 32psi front 34psi rear.
During a recent hot track day I checked the 'cold' temp and it had jumped to 36f 38r.
The tires had previously been set to 32/34 during a cooler track day.
While wondering whether to take some air out the bike sat in the sun.
When I now checked the tires they were in the 40's.
What to do? I took some air out and left them at 36/38.
During the first session I could feel the front squirm under heavy braking.
I put back 2psi in each then they seemed to be okay.

What is 'cold' as in 'cold tyre temp'? Cold as in California cold or as in Canadian cold?
I am thinking you need to start with higher tire pressures on hotter days. Or...
Should you set your cold or pre track pressures always the same no matter the ambient temperature?
That would imply you would be taking air out of your tires as the day gets hotter.

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
"Cold" meaning you haven't used them yet, usually before your first session. Compared to most you are running alot higher psi. Most people would start around 32fr and 30 rear or some will do 30fr and 30 rear. While the norm at trackday, especially with street/track tires, is to run the rear 2 psi lower than the front. You appear to be doing the opposite with 2 more psi in the rear than the front. But like you said, you are in Canada which is alot cooler than Texas or any part of the U.S. for that matter. I'm looking at near 100 degree trackday temps next week. I sometimes switch between Pilot Power and Power Race tires. Pilot Powers, Michelin recommends 30 front and 28 rear, Power Races is 30 front and 22 rear...yes 22.

There are some people experimenting with trying to predict hot tire pressure and that seems to make sense since it's the ideal hot pressure you are trying to achieve for you particular tire or how you like the tire to feel under riding conditions.

·
Registered
34,392 Posts
I believe Pirelli Diablo Corsas are not supposed be dropped below 34/34 as they are made differently to most race tires. (heard this from Team Pro-Motion as they are sponsored by Pirelli and are a dealer).

Cold means before you get on the track first thing in the morning.

·
Registered
6,418 Posts
i run pirellis. set them every moring cold 30 front 29 rear.

ask the trackside vendor what you should do thats why you pay them.

i know at daytona it was cold and wet and pirelli had us setting them hot when we came off the track.

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the replies.
I got the 32/34 psi recommendation from the tire guy.
The weather during the track day went from cool and cloudy to hot and sunny in the afternoon.
So I should adjust the 'cold' pressure as the ambient temperature changes as I noticed a big psi change
due to the weather.

·
Registered
6,418 Posts
i set mine in the am and thats it. but we run warmers after that so they stay at the same temp.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts