Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondered if any of you track day riders also find that your front tyres take much more of a hammering than your rear? My rear wears superbly, but the front gets really chewed/bobbled. I am not getting any handling problems, just heavy front tyre wear.....

I was curious to see if any of you guys with sorted forks (springs/revaled) still get heavier front tyre wear than the rear?

Ian

G

·
i dont saeem to suffer from excessive wear, both my tyres seem to wear quite well, and im actually getting pretty good life out of em...

what tyres u have one? and what pressure are you running for the track?

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Originally posted by Nolz:

what tyres u have one? and what pressure are you running for the track?
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">I'm using 207RR's, and running 33psi front and 32psi rear. I love the way they feel and I don't really mind the high wear rate on the front, but you know how it is, if you think you can get your set-up even better you will try, only to spend hours going round in circles just to find you are back where you started!!!!!

I'm trying to avoid that dumb-ass scenario....again

·
Registered
5,571 Posts
try running 30-31 on the front, normally the front should have a bit less psi.. most track days i do, i normally run 30/32..

·
Premium Member
10,263 Posts
If your front tire is getting that much more wear, I would have to say you go into the turns fast and dont really power hard... Most of the time if you are not on the gass in the turns it will wear the front tire much more fast

John

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Originally posted by GSXR-Freak:
If your front tire is getting that much more wear, I would have to say you go into the turns fast and dont really power hard... Most of the time if you are not on the gass in the turns it will wear the front tire much more fast

John
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">If only that was true!!!! LOL

The one place I always lose out on the track is in the braking zone into corners! It just doesn't feel right for me to turn in on the brakes hard.....so I tend to have my braking finished as I tip it in (unless I'm panic braking!) and then have at least a neutral throttle through the first part of the corner. That's why I'm a little surprised at the front chewing up. I used to put it down to the steeper geometry on the Gixxer....I rode a CBR6 before Gixxers and had the opposite situation on that, more rear wear than front.

I did not phrase my first post very clearly, but I am still on standard fork springs and valving....I am happy with the handling (I'm 175lbs), which is why i have not had the work done, but do you think sorting the forks might help with the wear?

Ian

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Originally posted by Hammer 4:
Uneven, and exsessive tire wear can be caused by poor suspension settings..
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Hammer,
I had a feeling that would be the case, the trouble is I have ended up on a set-up I really like (and we all know how hard that is to find!!
), so I guess I have two choices:
1) Spend some money on having the forks reworked, hope I can find a set-up I will be as happy with and hope the tyre wear is improved.
OR
2) Stay as I am, suck up the front tyre wear, stop moaning and enjoy what is a fantastic bike........

What would you do???

All opinions gratefully received

1 - 8 of 8 Posts