Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm going to Jenning 26-27 running Novice. Just trying to put a list together of things that I will need and prep for.

Gear, all taken care of. Shoei helmet, Dianese boots and suit, sedici gloves.

Bike - Fresh oil change, New rear tire (current has 4500 and counting miles on it), Buying Clutch and Stator engine protectors, frame sliders already installed.

Bike prep will happen next week as I use it as a commuter (over my truck).

I'm bringing stands, cooler some stuff like that. Any tools that other bring that would make good addition?

·
Premium Member
73,190 Posts
Subscribed to reply later...

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok so this past weekend I would like to call a great success for my first track weekend. Unfortunately it rained pretty much the entire time until about 30 mins after we loaded the bikes to leave on Sunday. I have to give a huge shout out to Jennings GP and Standard Track Days and their instructors. Met a lot of good people up there.

I ran my Shoei RF1200, Dianese Laguna Seca one piece, Dianese TR-Course Out D-WP boots, and Sedici gloves.

My GSXR pretty much stock outside of my R-11 Yoshi slip on then I still have the stock Bridgestone BattleAx

My first day was a lot of lines, my gear isn't broken in yet so it was still tight. Second day was a lot more fun, gear was a little more comfy for what it can be. Met a friend who was able to get a little footage of me. Of the run that I got so far my lines were a little wider overall than I liked but I was waiting for my tires to warm up more.

Here is one video it is from a friend I met there and his perspective following me, there will be more later. Unfortunately I didn't have any gopro mounts on the bike before I went and couldn't put any one due to the bike being wet all weekend. Yes I know it's not important but I would like to watch what I do to analyze for the next event I attend which will be in June if I remember correctly.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TroKNsCHPJs&feature=youtu.be

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Honestly it was more than worth it, expensive up front but I will get my money worth out of everything I have bought so far. I feel so much better and I think the wet track did help out a lot as it was a bigger challenge with the learning experience, but it allowed my friend who is one of the control riders to take me out and show me lines then watch my basic lines. There were a couple times that I was a little sketched, I started to feel my front slide. Then once I didn't have the bike as straight up as I thought when I started to get on the throttle and the rear started to slide a little. I'm waiting for more footage to come in, I ended up passing him on the long straight and going into turn 1 pretty hot but had a really good lap after that which I hope there is good footage of. It's definitely a lot more tiring than I originally imagined, I'm still tired from this weekend lol.

·
Premium Member
73,190 Posts
Good on ya for going out and riding in the rain! I love riding/racing in the rain.

Your line looks pretty good, and you seem to be comfortable at the pace you were riding. Your buddy with the camera not so much. He was blowing apexes all over trying to keep up. Not good.

Your BP needs some work. Everything you do in the dry should be exaggerated in the wet. Your throttle/brake inputs should be smooth and deliberate, no ham-fisting. You should hang off more, you should use as little lean angle as possible, you should get all your braking done while upright, and only start feeding throttle when the bike is mostly upright.

Above all else, at this point, line and BP should be the only things you are working. Once you get those down, then work on the track in reverse. Work on corner exit first (gettig on the gas), then carrying corner speed (maintenence throttle), and finally corner entry (braking and trail-braking).

Nice job and keep posting videos to see your progress!

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'm not afraid of rain but I'm also not stupid so as it rained harder I just focused on lines. I don't feel like jacking up my new bike.

I know my BP is horrendous, it's something to work on. My gear will be more broken in next time and I plan on being more physically limber, I have a few issues I have to work around. Unless something comes up I'm going to the June 4-5th weekend and if I have money then I would like to go to Roebling in May.

I do need to mount my gopro so I can watch closer with my BP and such, it just sucked because I didn't put anything on before hand and it was too wet all weekend. But overall it is super addicting!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts