Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,
I recently bought a 98 GSXR 750 which I intend to use both on the street and for some track days - realistically probably not more than 10 days or so during the year. However, it would kill me to damage the near mint fairings currently on the bike so I am thinking of either buying some used fairings on eBay and repainting them or going the Chinese aftermarket route. I do realise that there have been a ton of threads on this topic but I haven't come across one where someone tried to fit a set of Chinese fairings to an SRAD and was curious if anyone here had any experience. Currently I am leaning towards the used route but reckon the cost of repair/repaint might be high although I am tempted to have a go at repainting them myself.

Thanks,
David

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,502 Posts
Won’t you need at a minimum a oil catch pan even if you use oem fairings on a track? Guess it depends the rules of the track you plan to go.

Cheap track fairings are spray fiber glass, where as more expensive ones will be cloth type.

If your looking for new fairings, airtech is the only state side maker I know of that still makes the srad track fairings.

They would be my suggestion since you already own a mint set of fairings, just buy a track fairing set for track days, but also score a stay bracket for track fairings. Not sure if Harris performance still makes them or not. But they wouldn’t be too much of a trouble to fabricate oneself.

If time and money aren’t a issue, there’s a overseas maker who sells them made out of your choice of colored fiber glass / carbon fiber/ Kevlar carbon / hell even titanium...

As for the China fairings.... they are pretty much junk but they get the job done. They’ll be thinner, more malleable/flimsy and might not fit up properly without a separate set of bracketing you can bend to place. Since they sell them painted, usually is cheaper for those flipping a crashed bike or a bike without fairings to begin with.

When going on eBay to find used oem fairings , it’s a gamble weather or not you’ll get a used oem one or just a nicely painted peice, unless you can see forsure in the listing photos of the oem molding stamp.

When I was in Georgia I spent a lot of time and effort getting a oem set of fairings, and even once I did they needed to be blasted and decals heated and scraped off, and repaired with melted scraps of other fairings... that hell of a project is shown within my srad 600 thread. Definitely could have bought another bike for the cost of what I put into them. At anycase it was fun for me, but I wouldn’t recommend it.

Several years ago I bought a upper and lower piteck eBay track fairings and a sticker set off eBay that I think might be same as your srad... They are not the same quality as the cloth type. Though as someone once told me,”it only has to look good enough from a distance going 160mph” at anycase if you had a forum paid subscription “site supporter/ forum red R/ whatever they call it now” I could offer them up and prolly everything else you’d be looking for with track day minded stuff.

If your real concern is a track day accident or drop, then your really needing to look for clip ons with replaceable handles. Rear sets with replaceable pegs. Sliders like woodcraft branded ones that won’t destroy your mounts. Stator and starter covers with extra material or sliders themselves. Folding and replaceable Clutch and brake levers... and so on....Or just don’t crash/drop by riding within your comfort zone....

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks so much for the extensive write up.

As nice as the bike is, it wasn't very expensive ($3K) and I could see how you could easily spend up to half of that coming up with a second set of reasonable bodywork on the off chance that you crash, in fact if I do crash I suspect my wife will not be best pleased so that may in fact be that. I did have a look at the Airtech ones but they would need to be painted which I suspect that could easily cost up to $1K.

You know, I reckon I may just buy a good set of sliders as suggested and just take it easy and try not to crash :). There is a YouTube video of someone crashing on an SRAD and he indicated that his R&G Bobbins sliders prevented any damage :
. I just had a look a the Woodcraft ones you suggested and they look to be good quality so will probably go with them.

If I do have a moment of weakness and purchase some Chinese fairings, I will be sure to come back and let everyone know how it goes.

Thanks again,
David

1 - 3 of 3 Posts