Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone setup a dedicated Track Bike (K5/K6) and have real world weight numbers? Just curious. I'll admit to being a bit of a "weight weeny". Love the challenge of getting rid of excess mass.

·
You should listen to me. No, seriously, listen to
7,580 Posts
T.R.E pushed things fairly hard here on what I think was a street legal K7 and, last I heard, got it down to 340 lb. 330 lb. ought to be doable on a race bike.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
T.R.E pushed things fairly hard here on what I think was a street legal K7 and, last I heard, got it down to 340 lb. 330 lb. ought to be doable on a race bike.
Wow! Thanks. 330lbs would be incredible.

Is that dry weight? Full of fuel? I would assume somewhere in between. Probably oil and coolant, but no fuel? Obviously makes a big difference with almost 40lbs of fuel in the tank.

·
Registered
388 Posts
Same here, I would love to strip absolutely all non-essential items from my K6 track bike. Even thought about stripping excess wiring from the harness... I think Stocky may have done that on a K3, he got that bike crazy light. But beyond the big items you start spending so much more time and money...

So in order of biggest weight savings:

Exhaust
Wheels (maybe these two are about equal on the K6, not sure...)
Lithium battery

Aluminium fuel tank as well, but doubt many can afford that...

I wonder has anyone bothered to take the starter motor off? Probably not such a big difference as it's already fairly central in the bike, gains would be negated by the hassle of needing to always use a remote starter MotoGP style.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Would love to find a used alum tank. I've done a lot of carbonfiber work. Thought that might be a good project as I've seen people build them using stock tank as a mold, but that's a LOT of free time I'd need to spend.

Surprised no one has chimed in here with weights.

Same here, I would love to strip absolutely all non-essential items from my K6 track bike. Even thought about stripping excess wiring from the harness... I think Stocky may have done that on a K3, he got that bike crazy light. But beyond the big items you start spending so much more time and money...

So in order of biggest weight savings:

Exhaust
Wheels (maybe these two are about equal on the K6, not sure...)
Lithium battery

Aluminium fuel tank as well, but doubt many can afford that...

I wonder has anyone bothered to take the starter motor off? Probably not such a big difference as it's already fairly central in the bike, gains would be negated by the hassle of needing to always use a remote starter MotoGP style.

·
You should listen to me. No, seriously, listen to
7,580 Posts
Carbon is brittle and not good for a tank unless it has a bladder. T.R.E built a carbon tail/subframe and airbox. But I hope it's obvious that if the tail/subframe fails, you're in big trouble. A titanium swingarm pivot and rear axle plus an aluminum front axle are doable. The crank balancer can be removed and the Yoshimura stator/cover installed (pricey). I'd interested him in an aluminum battery cable. The high end car racers use them but neither he nor I was able to find a source. The Mupo rear shock is lighter, though I've wondered how it compares to Ohilins performancewise. Ceramic rotors are a lot lighter but very hard to find nowadays and their price has gotten crazy. There's a youtube video of Suzuki using a roll starter that suggests that using one is a three man job. I've been replacing bolts, currently approaching 300, with titanium or sometimes aluminum and it goes on and on.

P.S. This doesn't apply to true track bikes but I've been grumbling about the kickstand weight for years. Make one from carbon.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
About this Discussion
5 Replies
3 Participants
BillV
Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com
A forum community dedicated to the Suzuki GSX-R motorcycle. Discuss the GSX-R600, GSX-R750, GSX-R1000, and GSX-R1100, and more!
Full Forum Listing