Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today\'s smaller list of questions.....

Are Fram PH6018 oil filters decent to use?

Air filters:

1. How much do "hi-po" air filters cost?

2. Are they worth the price and possible trouble over stock replacement ones?

Do bikes have "names"?

·
Registered
553 Posts
Re: Today\'s smaller list of questions.....

I haven't heard good things things about any FRAM oil filters, either cars or bikes. Someone may prove me wrong on this, but it seems like some of their internals are made of cardboard and disentegrate after a while.

Why not stick to OEM SUZUKI filters, people do seem to recommend them.

·
Registered
16 Posts

How much is your bike worth, or more to the point how much do you value it ?. The cost of an OEM Suzuki oil filter is f**k all compared to an engine rebuild. I wouldn't use any other make of oil filter other than Suzuki, it's just not worth the risk.

Steve

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

Yeah, I bought a Suzuki filter for $15 and I picked up the FRAM for $6.50. I wanted to use the FRAM on the first oil change that I do, run it for about 100 miles, well let's say several hours and then change it again. I wanted to do this since the bike has been sitting awhile.

So I have both filters, I just didn't want to spend $30 on two oil filters with one of them being used for only a couple of hours before throwing it out.

·
Registered
108 Posts

I wont run the Fram stuff anymore. I have heard to many horror stories about them and when I got curious and cut a stock Suzuki filter and a Fram filter up I was convinced. The Stock filter is built with much better material. Tin versus pressed paper. Go OEM or Emgo.

·
Registered
3,895 Posts

Christmas day, 1997 (I'll never forget it) I had a Fram filter fail on my `86 gixxer... the filter worked it's way loose and it blew the o-ring out and oiled down the whole bike. It wasn't an installation error, the threads on the filter were poorly cut. I won't use Fram for anything anymore. An inexpensive, high-quality alternative to the OEM suzuki filter is the EMGO... you can find them most places that sell motorcycle goodies (online or otherwise).

·
Banned
3,509 Posts

I used Fram filters on all my bikes for years without a problem...but I'm goofy...I change my oil every 1000 miles.

Last year I switched to K&N oil filters and have been happy.

OE filters are rated well (better than Fram anyway)

As for air filters...K&N either in the stock airbox or as pod filters for "Stage 3". I've got them on the gixxer and in both of my Toyota 4Runners.

Uni filters suck ass.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts