Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
To those that have noisy chains. Here\'s a fix for ya.

Hey all, not to long ago I replaced my chain and sprockets as they were not only in bad shape (rust,wear etc...) but the drive sprocket was quite noisy and led me to conclude that this was due to the wear on the teeth and chain rollers.

So I go about replacing said parts and the noise doesn't change one bit. Even with the front and rear sprockets fairly well aligned it still made the "clacking" noise.

So I did a little investigating and ordered some parts from Ron Ayers and replaced the worn items this evening. Well lo and behold it's nearly silent now and my chain is also more in line as the rear plate that rides against the output shaft bushing had a grove ground into it nearly all the way through it. This allowed my chain to ride closer to the case and make the wear marks as seen in the pic. (see below).

If your experiencing the same thing I suggest you check yours out as not only is this annoying but could have been potentially dangerous in my case. I really don't think it would have been good if the plate wore through and some how gotten under the chain next to the sprocket. Remember, my bike has around 19000mi on it so you guys that are getting up there might want to look into this.

Parts I suggest you get:
2xplates
2xrubber cushions
The bushing that rides behind the sprocket (mines got deep grooves from the seal)
The rubber seal that goes over the bushing.

All these parts cost around $40 from Ron Ayers and are easy to install.

Here's the plates, you can see the groove in the one on the right.

Here you can see the diff between the new cushion and the old.

Here's a shot of the wear on the case from the chain due to the plate being so worn.

·
Premium Member
185 Posts
Re: To those that have noisy chains. Here\'s a fix for ya.

Nice job on the tip and the pictures, Justice.
I'll be looking forward to checking my bike out, as the chain noise is also quite loud.
Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
17,284 Posts
Re: To those that have noisy chains. Here\'s a fix for ya.

HOLY CRAP

You just solved my most annoying problem..I couldn't figure out what the hell was making all the f***ing noise at the drive sprockie....New sprockets/chain, still the noise!!

Thank You!!!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts