Registered
1,958 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:hammer what are the similarities in performance,speed,manuverability and power

·
Registered
515 Posts
:hammer what are the similarities in performance,speed,manuverability and power
They are pretty close in everything. Suspension is better on the RC stock. The RC is a pig in the city - radiators just cook you and the ergos are pretty harsh.

Weight is very similar I believe but the RC does feel more nimble. I've heard the RC is much easier to work on.

I like them both but bang for buck you can't beat the Tiller. Just get rid of that awful rear shock.

·
Registered
30 Posts
My best friend had a 2002 TLR that unfortunately was stolen. It has now been replaced with a 2001 RC51. Both were stock with Yoshi pipes. I rode both numerous times and can say this: In the power dept., hands down the RC51 kicks the crap out of the Tiller. Absolutely no comparison and the RC-51 sounds so mean compared to the TLR. I must admit that for city riding the TLR was a little more comfortable but the RC51 is not bad. The TLR always felt a bit heavy to me and seemed that you almost had to force it into turns at times. The RC51 dives right in and is very smooth in the twistys. There is a reason RC51s are still very active in professional racing and TLRs are not at all.

·
Registered
447 Posts
He must of had a shitty one, the only thing the TLR has over the RC 51 is Power, only a few HP and a longer 6th, goes 8mph faster. Both bikes are close to 500 pounds wet. RC has way better suspention and looks better. Rc cost 3 grand more. The TLR stock is a hunk of shit, soft front end, rear end that works about as well as Indians and Whisky, to low rear, stiff damper. For 500 bucks you can get cans, remap, airbox mod for the TLR and have 125 RWHP, 118 is stock. Carrozzeria stage one wheels, ohlins rear and damper, front revalve and filter and TRE is 2500 more bucks, you shave 40lbs of weight, and with a stock wheel base shorter than a 2006 GSXR 600. 3500.00 is a lot of cash, passing people on a TLR, Priceless.

·
Registered
30 Posts
My buddy picked his RC51 up for just over $4000 (paid over $5000 for the Tiller and it was wrecked). Those things (RC51s) go for $4000 - $6000 all over around here. I am yet to see a TLR for under $4000. Why would anyone buy a bike that they had to put another $3000 into just to make it ride decent? Hey, I'm a Suzuki guy 100% but like I said before, there is a reason nobody races TLRs anymore (or ever really for that fact). Suzuki just missed the mark on that bike. Take it from someone that has actually ridden both (more than just around the neighborhood too), the RC51 is far superior.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Stock vs Stock They have very similar performance numbers. These are just quarter mile times I know, but gives you a comparison. I have also ridden both. The rc-51 has better suspension, and better looks imho, but i wouldn't say faster, or sound better at ALL! The suspension makes more of a difference on the track. On the street there is nothing wrong with the tiller suspension! And the Tiller is NOT HARD TO WORK ON! I've never worked on a rc, so I can't say there. The tiller was made for 6 years, and the rc was made till what last year? Thats 1 reason there are more rc's racing! Pricing is very similar for same model year.

1/4 mile
rc-51 [email protected]
TL1000r [email protected]

Power and weight

rc-51 118.3hp 72.1ft/lbs 462lbs dry
TL1000R 118.9hp 72.9ft/lbs 473lbs dry

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have owned both and rode both as track bikes. The RC is a better overall bike. Handles better, better brakes, smaller wheel base, narrower profile.
The TL has a little more low end power. The TLR is heavier and more bulky but is a capable track bike if you replace the OEM rear shock and upgrade the fork internals.
The TLR has a non adjustable steering damper and the RC51 comes with none. Both benefit from a good aftermarket unit. I had Scotts Performance units on the bikes and they are great as well as crash surviveable.

The TLR is also not as capable of having too much motor work done, the engine cases will not support much over what the OEM Horsepower delivered.
The RC was also redesigned during production as the SP2. The TLR was never upgraded during its entire production. In all the RC has some advantages over the TLR mostly due to upgraded design and better OEM suspension. Power and top speeds are similar but to get the TLR to handle as well as a stock RC51(SP2), you have to do some work and make some upgrades.

·
Registered
39 Posts
My last race, I battled with an RC for awhile. He did beat me in the end but said he couldnt pass me on the gas. He said he would get a better mid corner drive, but soon as I would get on the gas, I would just pull away. I passed a few RCs last year in the straights. I have no motor work done, just bolt on mods. Ive ridden RCs before and they felt like they had alittle bit more than my TL but I dont know. They feel kinda awkward to me, the way they handle and drive. But thats just my experiences with them.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I havnt ridden a rc51 but I have owned my TLR for 2 months and have ridden it everyday. Its not as fast as my 99 gsxr 750 was (every mod done to it) but it still has plenty of balls. I ride with 05 and 08 gsxr 600's and when we get into the twisties the only thing that separates us is riding experince. The TLR is great in the corners, it does require a little effort but for myself being 6'1" and 210 it is very comfortable and I can drag my knee if I really get into the rythm. I think it is a great bike and you really aren't going to notice any difference unless you are at a track day and are pushing the limit, in which case look for an aprilia rsv, its a little more but a lot more of a bike.

·
Registered
189 Posts
I own a TLR....comes down to what you want to do with the bike...not that the RC is a run of the mill bike but compared to the TL it is....one thing you won't get when you pull up to bike night at your local Hooter's is what kind of bike is that? ...when you ride a RC....but you will certainly on a TL....I have had people follow me into a gas station just to look at it....the TL has a cult like following for sure....I have never seen anything like it...it has a lot of character for sure.....not tons of parts avail for it but on the TL forums we get some good group buys....like right now we have a guy....THANK YOU PAUL.....that is making us custom carbon fiber parts....and a ton of selectoin too....for our TL's....both the TLR and it's redheaded step sister the TLS....but seriously both the RC and the TL are great bikes and I don't think you would lose out on either one....just buy what YOU like and go enjoy spanking it down some twisties....most people don't ride the bike beyond it's abilities anyway........for any length of time that really matters anyway lol!! You are riding that's what is most important....and be safe!

·
Chubby Chaser
57,806 Posts
The RC was also redesigned during production as the SP2.

+1

If you are looking into one, make sure its the SP2 (2002-2006). There's a whole laundry list of enhancements.

http://www.sportrider.com/bikes/2002/146_02_2002_honda_rc51/index.html

New for 2002

• Prodigious power is produced across a broad rpm band, peaking with 128 bhp at 10,000 rpm and 71 lb./ft. of torque at 8000 rpm in street-legal trim.
  • Weight savings of 11 pounds have been achieved. Weight savings include: frame (9 oz.), swingarm (1.9 lb.), front fork (12 oz.), rear shock (7 oz.), front wheel (1.0 lb.), rear wheel (1.1 lb.).
  • Larger, 62mm fuel injection throttle bodies inspired by HRC's championship works racers.
  • The two fuel injectors for each cylinder now feature 12 laser-drilled jet holes in each injector tip for finer fuel atomization, resulting in more responsive throttle performance and faster, more efficient combustion for stronger power output.
  • Newly designed exhaust ports feature an HRC(r)-developed shape for improved exhaust scavenging and velocity, resulting in increased engine performance.
  • Fuel injection and ignition mapping are refined for the larger throttle bodies and new exhaust ports to produce smooth and linear throttle response, responding even more precisely to fine throttle adjustments.
  • New shot-peening process applied to piston wrist pins results in a harder, longer-wearing surface that's more resistant to scoring.
  • Exhaust mufflers are lightened throughout and secured by lighter mounting bands.
  • Twin side-mounted radiators each have electric cooling fans to improve engine cooling.
  • Cone-shaped clutch spring plate quiets and smoothes clutch engagement.
  • Newly designed forged side engine-hangers are lighter (9.2 oz.) and stronger than the cast pieces they replace.
  • HRC-designed press-forged aluminum swingarm is lengthened 16mm to improve rear wheel power delivery and is more rigid than the previous design for optimum race track handling.
  • Rear subframe can be easily modified to reduce weight for racing application.
  • Newly designed HRC-type integrated rear shock reservoir is repositioned for easy fitment of center-up high-performance competition exhaust.
  • Brake fluid system pressure is increased 10 percent, resulting in even better braking feel and performance.
  • New five-spoke wheels feature aerodynamic forward-facing V-shaped spokes and next-generation Dunlop D208 tires.
  • New windscreen shape, derived from Colin Edwards' championship World Superbike HRC racer, is 1.2 inches taller than the previous design.
  • Lightweight aluminum upper fairing stay is nearly 7 ounces lighter than the previous steel design.
  • Larger under-seat tool tray.
  • The black resin seat pan/rear fender located under the seat cowl has been completely redesigned to reposition the battery and electrical components farther forward for improved mass centralization.
The 2 lbs dropped from the wheels alone is worth a decent improvement in cornering.

Doing the PAIR, flapper and soft limiter mod, coupled with a decent slip-on and a fuel remap not only livens up the power decently but also smooths it out quite a bit which it needs as its pretty jerky in stock trim.

·
Registered
2,856 Posts
I owned a TLR for tens years and after going through a few other bikes, now have RC. They are different bikes to be sure. Not everyone's cup of tea. As far as comparing the two....
The TL is more comfortable for sure
Engine department is close. My TL felt a bit stronger down low but the RC feels stronger on top.
The RC handles much better than the TL. My RC has stock suspension and still feels better than my TL with an Ohlins rear.
The side mounted Rads on the RC are as gay as the rotary damper was on the TL.
I think they're both cool bikes. If you're into the lightest, fastest things out there they won't be for you.
Can't beat the sound either

1 - 13 of 13 Posts