Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's rainy season again in good old Victoria BC, I ride year round and I ride hard but money is tight.
Any suggestions from you guys on which tires to buy, would be very much appreciated. I have 110/70 with an 18" rim on the front and should have 140/70 an 18" rim on the back. The guy who owned the bike before me thought it would look cool with 180/55 on the back and as a result riding is sketchy in tight corners

·
Registered
57 Posts
Eek! A 180 on the standard weeny rim?! How did the bloke get that on there? It's no wonder your riding was a bit 'sketchy' as it's a miracle you stayed on, the tyre would've been like a knife edge...
As an aside, just what tyres are available for the old 18 inchers? Not just super sticky race and track day tyres but decent longlife road tyres too. Are there any decent radials available?

[ 10-09-2002, 01:40 AM: Message edited by: zedhead ]

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The BT 56's aren't made in 18" rims and the avon 22/23's, although nice tires, will wear out wayyy to fast for me, Still checking out metzlers. They are what I have on there now, and I love them even with the sketchy back tire.
I appreciate the input

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
yeah, The metzler ME Z4 is just way too expensive

·
Banned
11,514 Posts
is it BT45's then? I forget but they do have them

I think the rear size is 150/18

MEZ4's are only about $200 US a pair, but locally the front goes for $220 Canadian

·
Banned
3,509 Posts
I don't know if the G & H rims are different but the RG came from Suzuki with Bridgestone Radials. 110/80 & 140/70 radials.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well I managed to get a sweet deal on a pair of BT45's 110/80-18 and 140/70-18 as a pair for about $320 canadian taxes included. I went and got the cheapest quote and then got my buddy at a shop to beat the price. I'll keep you all posted on how well they turn out.

This monday (thanksgiving) I'm going to burn out my old back tire and camcordit. If I can I'll find a way to post it on this forum.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Oh yeah,
Does anyone know if 17" wheels fit on an old 86 gixxer. If thats the case then I can score lots of old tires to have fun burning up, sliding etc. You know to get to know my bike better.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
On the old 18"ers you cant have steel belt radials because the rim wasn't designed for it. Or so says my mechanic.
As far as the sketchyness goes on corners, a knife edge is a perfect description of what my corners are like.
Thank god for a steering damper. Even so, I can still scrape my boots on the offramp
Can't wait to see how well corners go with the proper tires
I'm leaning towards battleaxes

·
Banned
11,514 Posts
you might want to check out Bridgestones BT56's ?

or Avon Am22/23 I think

Metzler says that MEZ4 110 front and 160 rear will work on our old bikes (mine has slightly bigger rims sorry) but they list those tires for 85-87 750 as well

1 - 11 of 11 Posts