Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3,895 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought an `89 gsxr 1100. The bike is in *terrificly* good shape, and I'm happy as snot with the whole deal... thing is, I need to put new tires and a chain on the thing before I put many more miles on it... It has the original 17" 3.5 and 4.5 wheels. The kind of riding I usually do doesn't include knee-dragging, rear-wheel sliding, front wheel-in-the-air corner exits, but I don't want bricks that last forever and stick to nothing either. What's a decent sport tire that will last when I ride from WA state to FL and back?

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
First off welcome to the board. That would be a long trip on a bike, but sounds like fun. I personally prefer dunlops or metzlers.

·
Registered
518 Posts
<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by FastCat:
It has the original 17" 3.5 and 4.5 wheels.<hr></blockquote>

Erm, weren't the stock wheel sizes for '89s 18"???

-phreak

·
Registered
3,895 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm actually in Tacoma, so yeah, rain traction is gonna be a big consideration for me... I had an `86 750 gixxer back when it was new and the OEM michelins that come on the thing were terrible... the sidewalls were too tall and radial technology was a new thing for streetbikes back then... it constantly felt "loose" when it wasn't. The metzelers worked well on that bike, but that was in the days of the ME33 and ME99's... I realize much has changed since then. Do any of ya'all know where I might find online reviews for modern tires? (my fave URL for that is a cars-only deal www.tirerack.com).

One other thing I noticed about the bike: the steering damper is missing
...it looks like it tipped over in a parking lot once, and I figure the thing got bent and subsequently discarded. I've only put about 200 miles on the bike so far, am I gonna wish the steering damper was still there when I get new tires?

One other thing, if anyone cares... I have the original suzuki owner's manual and shop manual... I don't mind scanning pages for anyone who may need `em.

·
Registered
518 Posts
<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by MrTris:
I like Michelin Pilot sports. The stock size in 89 was 17”.<hr></blockquote>

hehe oops
, I feel stupid now

-phreak

·
Registered
434 Posts
Im just north of you in vancouver and use 207 dunlops which work etremely well on my 86 for our climate I think they are a better choice then the pilots, if I lived further south I would use the pilots.

·
Registered
437 Posts
I do live further south (in Oregon) and I do like the Pilot Sports.

·
Registered
2,491 Posts
I like the 207's but I am considering pilots or supercorsas next
-Karl

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
I've tried loads of different tyres. The Metzelers were the best but I'm told that the Pirellis' (which are part of the Metzeler group anyway) are the best, 'Supercorsa's' I'll give them a go in the summer ater I've killed my Avon Azaro's.
The 1100 is a fast-old-wobbly-thing with a short wheelbase. I wouldn't go out without my steering damper, get another one else you might regret it when the bars flap under hard acceleration !
Welcome to the
  1. .
    Are you running a 160/60 on that 4.5 ?

·
Registered
3,895 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Andy James:
...Welcome to the
  1. .
    Are you running a 160/60 on that 4.5 ?
  1. <hr></blockquote>

Yeah, it's the OEM sizes, not that it matters what size that bald-assed, flattend hunk of crap is now... the rear and front both have such a bad flat spot in the center that you can feel it just "flop" over into the corners when it gets onto the still-round part of the tire... I scared myself silly accelerating off a ramp onto the interstate the other day... didn't know the rear was drifting til it "snapped back"... The bike's parked til I get some new rubber.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I've run d207's on my 92 since I've owned it and love them! Feb. sport rider has write up on updated version 207 rr looking forward to trying those. two of my buddies with 91's have tried a few different tires one is currently on bridgestones the other has been through metzers and michelins and is now back on dunlops.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts