Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have noticed that the tires on my bike have gone bald really fast. I don't smoke my tires or anything but I do alot of wheelies. I have about 5,000 miles and the wear bars are starting to show. I know you don't get the same amount of mileage out of bike tires as you do car or truck but my cousin has a 01 CBR 600 with the same Dunlop tires and he has over 6,000 miles and he has way more tread than I do. Some of the Guys I ride with have the same bike I do and they have bald tires as well. I was just wondering if anyone else has had this problem. Are there any tires out there that anyone has found to be better than the stock Dunlops?

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
I hear anything more then 4000 on the original tire is good. I have 3700 and tire looks to be getting low. They do not last very long, and can get expensive.

·
Registered
482 Posts
I have about 5k on the wheels and I ride hard.... at least first these are my very first set. hehehe new rider. I need fronts too cause I busted those up. Argh..... but might keep 'em for momentos oh wellz....

·
Mightiest Sorcerer of the Lands a.k.a. Rhinocerous
22,048 Posts
Riding styles can adversly affect the life of your tires. If I rode like a grandma (the speedlimit) I could probably get 10K miles out of my tires. However, I usually do double the speed limit everywhere and corner hard a lot.
I got about 6K miles on the stockers. I now have over 6K miles on my replacement set of D207 SportMaxes.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Like Blaise said...tire wear is all about riding style, as well as air pressure. Make sure you are running bare minimum 30 pounds; I usually go with 32. I have 12.4k on my new 600, and have gone through 3 completely new 207's, a used Pilot, and a used Bridgestone BT57 (sport tourer tire; fun to donut with, they burn FOREVER!). You will get more wear out of a tire if you corner and use the whole wheel instead of straight lining it. Go with the GP takeoffs though...they are great for tricks, but if you wheelie a lot, be a little careful.

If you look at a touchdown mark of a 207 from a long wheelie where your front tire has stopped turning in the air, it is relatively long; maybe 3-10'. The tire skids and lets the cloud of smoke go. A GP tire is very sticky in comparison, and I have found the touchdown marks are about like a dinner plate which means the tire is grabbing very quickly, and can give a little jolt, even lead to the dreated tank slapper coming out of a wheelie.

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
if you bang'em alot, your putting the bikes full weight on the rear wearing the tread, and if you clutch it on top of that, it's gonna wear even faster, i got 1500 miles off my first, that's from uffin around alot, d207's though are a good ass tire!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts