Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I got a 2007 GSXR 600 for almost free, just had to fix a few things from it sitting since 2009.
The tires on it are Michelin pilot power 3 front and rear.
They were put on right before it was parked till I bought it.
Date code is 2009 on them with zero wear and stored inside since then.
I'm not sure I trust them but I keep finding contradicting info on if they should be replaced.
I am looking at a set of ContiMotion tires for it.
Any thoughts?

·
----------------
1,761 Posts
For peace of mind I'd change them. Here's what Michelin recommends:

3. Tires show signs of aging

It is difficult to predict a tire's lifespan because it bears no relation to its manufacturing date. Tires that have never been used, or have only been used infrequently, may still show signs of aging. Many factors can affect their lifespan: weather conditions, storage and usage conditions, load, speed, tire pressure, maintenance, riding style, and so on.

Michelin recommends that all riders regularly spend some time inspecting their tires to pick up on any external signs of aging or wear, such as deformations or cracks in the tread, on the shoulders or sides.
You should also have your tires checked by a professional who can assess if they should be replaced or not.

The 5 year test… before it's too late!

After 5 years or more of use, tires should be examined every year by a professional mechanic. If the tires need to be changed, follow the manufacturer's recommendations with regard to replacing original components. As a precaution, all tires that have not been replaced after ten years should be changed, even if they appear to be in a generally good condition and have not reached their tread wear limit"

https://motorcycle.michelinman.com/motorbike/tips-and-advice/when-should-i-change-my-motorbike-tyres

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Even by my own standards as a Porsche tech I recommend they be replaced when they are over 6 years old no matter what. but I just wanted to make sure as I've seen all sorts of contradicting stuff posted out there.

Its just sad to get rid of a set of nice tires, they show no signs of aging but I have no idea how hard they have become from just sitting for so long.

Time to get a new set on the way, Its a small price to pay for the peace of mind knowing that the tires are in good shape.

·
Captain Obvious ... because obviously it’s obvious
3,856 Posts
On cars, I do no more than six years. On bikes, two-three years.

And, think about it: with all the specials and rebates on tires, you can get a pair for $200 or less for a good set. Crashing your bike because of shitty, old tires will cost WAY more and you'll have FAR less confidence in a bike with 9 year old tires. I don't think this should even be a question at this point.

·
----------------
1,761 Posts
Even by my own standards as a Porsche tech I recommend they be replaced when they are over 6 years old no matter what. but I just wanted to make sure as I've seen all sorts of contradicting stuff posted out there.

Its just sad to get rid of a set of nice tires, they show no signs of aging but I have no idea how hard they have become from just sitting for so long.

Time to get a new set on the way, Its a small price to pay for the peace of mind knowing that the tires are in good shape.
I hear ya, it does suck to throw away unused tires but I think the risk outweighs the cost. And since you got the bike so cheap might as well put a few bucks into it (assuming it's in nice shape otherwise) and make it 100%.

·
Premium Member
661 Posts
I would only use a tire on the track less than 2 years old, preferably less than one year old. On the street- less than 3 years old. A tire starts to get hard as soon as its done being made. The tires you have are good for a burnout video!

·
Registered
219 Posts
Every tire, whether for cars or bikes, has a 4-digit number inside a circle. 2715, for example, means that the tire was manufactured during Week 27 of 2015. I say this because, even if a tire looks fine, if it's more than a few years old I wouldn't use it.

·
Super Moderator
14,988 Posts
Yes...swap them out if only for peace of mind. The worse thing while riding any sportbike is not having faith in your tires. You have too many other things to be concerned about while you're out there. :thumbup

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Thanks guys, that's pretty much what I thought but wanted to be sure.
Got a new set of ContiMotions on the way for her, the tires were the last thing on my short list of things to fix.

Bike looks like new other than a tiny crack on the tail extension, fixed the s.e.t issue five $35.00, new chain and battery.

Think I have less than $500.00 in the bike including new tires guess I cant complain too much about getting new shoes for her.

Edit, found a good price on Bridgestone BT016 Battlax so I went with those over the Conti's
If it will ever quite raining on the weekends here I might finally get to ride her

·
Super Moderator
14,988 Posts
Thanks guys, that's pretty much what I thought but wanted to be sure.
Got a new set of ContiMotions on the way for her, the tires were the last thing on my short list of things to fix.

Bike looks like new other than a tiny crack on the tail extension, fixed the s.e.t issue five $35.00, new chain and battery.

Think I have less than $500.00 in the bike including new tires guess I cant complain too much about getting new shoes for her.

Edit, found a good price on Bridgestone BT016 Battlax so I went with those over the Conti's
If it will ever quite raining on the weekends here I might finally get to ride her
I had a new set Conti's on my 1000 when I bought it and it felt like I was riding on ice all the time. :scared I wouldn't recommend them to my worst enemy. They offered little to no feedback and would constantly break loose on me. The only upside (downside depending on how fast you want them off your bike in my case!) is that they last forever. I think the Bridgestones will suit you better in the long run. :thumbup

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Got the BT-016's installed last weekend, Man are they stickier than the old tires.
So glad I put new tires on it now.
If it would stop raining here on the weekends I might be able to actually go out and enjoy them.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Every tire, whether for cars or bikes, has a 4-digit number inside a circle. 2715, for example, means that the tire was manufactured during Week 27 of 2015. I say this because, even if a tire looks fine, if it's more than a few years old I wouldn't use it.
very true... also be cautious ordering your new rubber online... especially ebay.... although the tire you receive from a seller might look brand new, check the date code, you could have an old tire.... which leads to why it was so cheap....

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Nice, I have BT016 Pro's on my bike and they are really good.

Tyres get hard as they become older and lose their grip, so I'm not suprised the new ones are better.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Do NOT ride on 10 year old tyres. Imagine what a twat you'll feel if you bin it because you scimped on tyres.
Anything older than 2-3 years is junk.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts