Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys can someone tell me the difference between DOT race tires and slicks. I know the DOT race can be used on the street and slicks can not. But can someone tell me the difference in grip as well as the durability of the two out on the track. Also, what is the differnce in the 180 VS 190 when it comes down to grip. Thanks.

·
Registered
59 Posts
First off don't use DOT's on the street, you might get away with it, but some like the Michelins don't grip much when cold. Grip and feel is slightly better on slicks, however the DOT's are very very good. As for grip and durability it depends what compound slick you are running. 180 vs. 190 depends on your personal preference 180s turn a bit quicker while 190s have more meat when getting on the gas. The trend in both 16.5 and 17 superbike slicks is to go bigger with a larger footprint. Most of the development is going into larger tires such as the 16.5's and 190's Unless you are mandated to use dots I'd use slicks

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the info. Can you tell me how many more track days one could get out of a slick compared to a DOT? And i know it depends on how you ride and all but someone told that you could get a greater amount of track days on a slick then a DOT.

·
Banned
5,032 Posts
Depends on the tire, the track, the temp, the bike and the pace. I can shred a Rear Michellin slick in 5 laps and make a Rennsport last all day with more to give. I can shred a front Rennsport in 5 laps and make a front Michellin slick last all day with more to give. You can run DOTs on the street just fine with no issues. Just be sure it isn't a Michellin. They are cold blooded. Dunlop and Pirelli/Metzler offerings are stickier cold than warm street tire.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts