Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here's the deal.

I have a K5 GSX-R600, which I just purchased about 2 months ago. The bike is great.
Runs and handles just like what it is, new. Last week I saw these flashing neon valve stem caps while browsing accessories at the shop. I'm generally not into all those little stupid gadjet accessories for any kind of vehicle, but these looked pretty sweet for night riding. So I picked them up and threw them on my bike, jumped on and took her for a spin. I noticed instantly that the stability and steering of the bike felt funny as He**. Felt like the wheels were unbalanced, especially when leaning off axis into turns. And when accelerating hard while standing straight. It felt like it wanted to wobble very easily. Usually this bike feels extremely stable and smooth.
Instantly noticing that it must be the neon valve caps causing this, I took them off right away
and put the right ones back on. The bike still feels this way now!, even after I removed those stupid neon caps. Is it possible that those damn neon things threw my wheel / tire balance off?
The neon caps aren't massively heavy or anything --- well acutally compared to the ordinary caps, yeah they are! They would be closer to an actual wheel weight for balancing.
I'm already going to have both of my wheels balanced, because I don't know what else to do.
I spoke to the service tech at the dealer, and he told me that yeah it is possible something like those caps could possibly affect the handling, but if they're causeing any balance problem with the wheels, that should deffinately disapear as soon as they are removed.
I am running 36/36 psi front/back.

Has anyone out there used these stupid things. If these things would cause a problem like this, why would they sell them for this application.
I'm very irritated over this!

Any input on this would be very much appreciated.

Randy //pharcyde\\

·
Registered
16,168 Posts
Hmmm, you put em, then took em off..and it still feels like crap...hard to believe that some caps could knock a wheel oughta balance...when you removed them..still, a good idea to have the balance checked...just seems kinda strange...I've lost wheel weights, and it didn't have that much of an effect on the handeling, but who knows...???

Oh, stay away from the blingy stuff like that.....

·
Registered
1 Posts
Does anyone remember seeing a relatively-inexpensive static wheel balancer for sale on one of the forums? It was around $50-60 as I recall and consisted of an axle, two conical collars and a set of bearings installed into "L" brackets. You have to supply your own supports, but that's no big deal. Thanks.

·
Here is your "R"
6,926 Posts
Does anyone remember seeing a relatively-inexpensive static wheel balancer for sale on one of the forums? It was around $50-60 as I recall and consisted of an axle, two conical collars and a set of bearings installed into "L" brackets. You have to supply your own supports, but that's no big deal. Thanks.

Here you go! Its a great product ive used it several times at my friends home.

http://www.streetknights.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=5456

·
Registered
157 Posts
Those caps did not cause your problems.

Before you take your wheels in for balancing, check your tire pressure, try 32 front 34 rear, and round your fingers around both sides of each rim and inspect for bends.

The top 4 things that come to my mind are:
1. You have a bent rim or two
2. You steering head nuts are loose under the tripple tree
3. you lost wheel weights
4. your tire pressure needs adjustment.

Hell your bike is new under warranty, take it back fofr warranty fix after you checked those things. Do not pay to have your wheels balanced.

I'm also assuming you haven't been doing burn outs and your tire tread is good.

Let us know how it turns out

·
Registered
24 Posts
Was just wondering if you ever found a fix for this problem? I purchased a K5 GSX_R600 around 2 months ago also and i'm having similar issues.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts