Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
842 Posts
Looks to be cold tearing, and maybe could use a little less rebound dampening...maybe.

Could be choppy throttle too, which would explain the tear starting at the thread and feathering out from there.

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
a lot of us answered the original thread
I don't think he Trusts you.....
I will keep this short: If I did not trust your guys .02 why the hell would I post it

I value your guys knowledge therefore, I ask. Someone suggested to put it would be better in this forum.
As stated in the post: I bought these and did not ride on them.

Thanks for your .02

Another ?
Cold tearing -
can that be decreased by tire warmers OR it doesn't matter if the tires are warm prior to riding. If the weather is COLD your still going to shock the tires no matter how warm you keep the tires prior to riding ? i.e. cold tearing

Don't get me wrong I understand tire warmers are great and reduce heat cycles.
But, how much do they play in the above Cold tearing situation ?

Thanks again

·
Registered
5,068 Posts
i think its rebound

my adcise roll the bike to a suspension or ties guy/

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
a lot of us answered the original thread
I don't think he Trusts you.....
I will keep this short: If I did not trust your guys .02 why the hell would I post it

I value your guys knowledge therefore, I ask. Someone suggested to put it would be better in this forum.
As stated in the post: I bought these and did not ride on them.

Thanks for your .02

Another ?
Cold tearing -
can that be decreased by tire warmers OR it doesn't matter if the tires are warm prior to riding. If the weather is COLD your still going to shock the tires no matter how warm you keep the tires prior to riding ? i.e. cold tearing

Don't get me wrong I understand tire warmers are great and reduce heat cycles.
But, how much do they play in the above Cold tearing situation ?

Thanks again
You don't understand cold tearing... Your warmers aren't really coming into play on that deal. The track really never gets to the temp that is needed for optimum wear. The tires are warm, but the surface is cool.

It could be suspension, but again as I stated in your first thread - you'd have to be so far off on rebound for that result. Is your suspension stock?

I'd say it is a classic cold tear case. Adjust your tire psi and try it again. This is why racers need to take notes. You need to note temp, conditions, etc. so you can understand and relate it to experience...

·
Registered
860 Posts
it looks like cold tearing.

from my understanding (now i canbe completly wrong, but you get a cold tear when the surface of the tire is "hot or semi hot" but the carcas of the tire is not at the "optimal temp"

·
Premium Member
5,282 Posts
everyone is an expert, hahaha, unless we know how your bike is set up we can only ball park what it may be, it would help if you told us your settings, sag, stock or aftermarket shock, how is your compression set how is your rebound set, etc....

I have torn the shit outta my tires last time at VIR, some was due to cold tearing but frankly it was my throttle happy hand. I destroyed a brand new set in a 1/2 hr race, had CTR look at the bike to make sure things were ok and everythin checked out so it was a combo of cold track and ham fisting the throttle, but if i posted the pictures everyone would have said one rebound blah blah blee blee

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
everyone is an expert, hahaha, unless we know how your bike is set up we can only ball park what it may be, it would help if you told us your settings, sag, stock or aftermarket shock, how is your compression set how is your rebound set, etc....

I have torn the shit outta my tires last time at VIR, some was due to cold tearing but frankly it was my throttle happy hand. I destroyed a brand new set in a 1/2 hr race, had CTR look at the bike to make sure things were ok and everythin checked out so it was a combo of cold track and ham fisting the throttle, but if i posted the pictures everyone would have said one rebound blah blah blee blee

go read his post again jackass........these are some take offs that he bought, HE has not put any miles on these tires.......geeeeessshhhhhhh JACKASS

·
Registered
276 Posts
To my slightly educated eye this looks like classic cold tearing. It can happen from a number of causes. This happened to me often in the 2004 season until I used a set of tire warmers. Bingo! Zero cold tearing, problem solved. So the question you asked about tire warmers being worth it is right on. They are and here's my reasoning and benefits.
1. They stop problems with cold tearing.
2. They reduce the number of heat cycles put into the tires and thereby increase tire life significantly.
3. They stop problems with tire pressure increase measured sitting in the pits to after the tires get nice and hot.
4. I feel much better about going into the first corner with the increased confidence that the tires are optimal.
5. They help to remove another variable from the whole setup equaltion.

In my experience, tire warmers add enough life to race tires that they will pay for themselves in extendin the " good " life of a tire. My advice is to get the best ones you can and I can whole heartedly reccommend Digital Tire Bakers. Expensive, but superior quality, workmanship, and great ease of use.

MY .02, but I'm only a lowly amateur

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
My tire looked exactly like that @ Barber in AUGUST...come to find out my shock had decided to give up the ghost...!!!

·
Premium Member
8,107 Posts
My tire looked exactly like that @ Barber in AUGUST...come to find out my shock had decided to give up the ghost...!!!

So your shock went to lunch
kinda like his brain ?!!?!?!?!

·
Registered
1,480 Posts

So your shock went to lunch
Sure did...On the 2nd lap of my last race...
I was getting that sidewinder feeling going thru t2 and the quick L, R after the coaster...
is sucked to say the least...

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.