Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I currently have 2007 Suzuki GSXR 600. I bought the bike as is and it has 120/70 ZR 17 on the front and 200/55 R17 on the rear. I am needing new tires but unsure what brand and what sizes. I looked under my year and make model it says the rear suppose to be 180/55 ZR17. Any suggestions

·
Registered
39 Posts
Dunlop Q3 for me. The work great. Warm up quick and have good tread life with the dual compounds in the center/edge. On the track, I run them at 32 psi in front and 30 psi rear. On the street, I raise the pressures up a few pounds (34F and 32R). Correct rear is 180/55 ZR17.

·
Registered
683 Posts
...I still question why anyone would want a 200 rear, except pretending to be a GP rider

Basically I'd suggest to go with factory sizes, it's where the bike's geometry is set up for

Tires is pretty much a personal thing
Personally I can't ride comfortably on Bridgestones (at least not in the cold/wet) and have been riding on Michelin sport tires for the most part of 15 years in all kinds of weather
Other people undoubtedly can have a different opinion

If you want a decent allrounder that's not too expensive, IMO you can't go wrong with the original Michelin Pilot Power, though i must say that modern Michelin tires handle the wet better
and later generations seem to wear a lot better/less

·
Registered
71 Posts
I just replaced front and rear tires with the Dunlop Q3's, so far I like them better than the Michelin's I had on it.

...I still question why anyone would want a 200 rear, except pretending to be a GP rider
Basically I'd suggest to go with factory sizes, it's where the bike's geometry is set up for
^^^ I agree, just stick with stock tire sizes.

·
Registered
39 Posts
It is a good idea to match the profiles of the front and rear tires. It aids in turn in feel. You want the front and the rear to act in a similar way. A 200 rear will turn in/tip slower than a 180 rear.

·
Hand-Eye Coordinator
6,527 Posts
I have run 200 rear slicks on my 600. I used to race at a small track where peak acceleration was less important than cornering and the 200 stuck like glue. I was pretending to be a GP rider.

Unless someone has test evidence about the exact profile of a 200 rear on a 5.5 inch rim, any talk about said profile is conjecture. Putting the 200 on a 600 rim squishes in the apex/bead and pretty much makes the shoulders bulge out like a fat woman's muffin top.

Stick with a 180.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts