Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
273 Posts
That is the most insane tire review I've seen. I think I have to strongly disagree with their evaluation of a Dunlop 207. Anyone who has bought a new gixxer loved their 207's. Sure there are better tires on the market, but for longevity, performance and price, they are tough to beat.

·
Registered
5,058 Posts
Yeah, I agree with you kidder. My D207's seem a bit better than what they are rating them. I think a bunch of guys would also agree they are very good tires. Makes me wonder though about the Bridgestone 010's, I think I may have to give them a try, the 010's are also cheaper where I live. I'm in the process of trying to get some slightly used michelin pilot race tires and dunlop race tires from a guy who gets them at the track on saturdays after practice sessions. $200 a set CDN $$.

·
Premium Member
10,263 Posts
Out of the 3 tires I have used. Everything they say is right. I had a lot of problems with the 207's running out wide on me.

I went to the pilot sport and they stick, but over heat very easy. To fix the problems they talk about (the bike feeling wishy under heavy lean), I ran more PSI and a bit more preload in the front. They used 31front and 29 rear PSI. I run 34 front and 32 rear.

I have not ran the Evo Supercorsas on my bike, but I have used them on other bikes and it seems to go where you tell it, and stick like mad.

·
Registered
17,099 Posts
metzeler rennsports are the same as pirelli supercorsas except for tread pattern.....get whichever one is cheaper for you.....(although it's interesting how the article rated them differently!)

pirellis tend to be more readily available in europe.....metzelers are easier to get here. metzeler and pirelli are now basically the same company (one bought out the other, i think).

be careful with the rennsports/supercorsas, though.....they don't look like they'd work very well in the wet (should you ever get caught out in the rain)....

·
Registered
766 Posts
I read that article about a month ago. I have worn out the D207 that came stock on my bike, and after the review I think I will give the BT010 a try. If it doesn't work then I will only have to wait 6 months or so before needing a new back tire anyway. I am willing to try the BT010 because the D207 has gotten really slick here recently. The authors of the article seemed to really lean toward the BT010, so that is the way I will go this time...

G

·
<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by jeff:
metzeler rennsports are the same as pirelli supercorsas except for tread pattern.....get whichever one is cheaper for you.....(although it's interesting how the article rated them differently!)

pirellis tend to be more readily available in europe.....metzelers are easier to get here. metzeler and pirelli are now basically the same company (one bought out the other, i think).

be careful with the rennsports/supercorsas, though.....they don't look like they'd work very well in the wet (should you ever get caught out in the rain)....
<hr></blockquote>

Good to know! I was a little put off by the price of the supercorsas at my favorite local shop (not unreasonable, but alot more than I've been paying for my Dunlops). I'll do some checking on the rennsports & see if they're cheaper.

Rain - what's that?

·
Registered
79 Posts
I've ridden other tires including dunny 207's in wet, dry, straight and tight corners an I'll stick with the 207's till pigs fly. I've yet to see a tire like it hold up to the shit I ride through everyday. I thoroughly enjoy a solid feel all around. the wide turns which were spoken of previously have only been a problem once. that was when I was still feelin out the tires. Any rider you talk to, that feels completely secure with their setup will encourage their Ideas.... frankly play the field, try different tires, just keep in mind that the specs that are proclaimed on each tire come from the track (supposedly a perfect enviroment) Think for yourselves How much of your driving day to day encourrs the track, or even highspeed backroads.
In my case the 207's and 207GP's feel perfect for all my riding. If only Dunnlop would create a tire specifically for wheelies!!

-just my two cents...

[ 11-08-2001: Message edited by: Gixxnrocket ]</p>

G

·
<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Gixxnrocket:
If only Dunnlop would create a tire specifically for wheelies!!
<hr></blockquote>

They do... they're the 207s after you've flattened them out on an extended freeway ride and they're no good for turns anymore

Good post, BTW - Good advice.

G

·
<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by jeff:

http://www.gixxer.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic&f=4&t=004460

in particular, curvecrazy's comments (about the 9th message down)....
<hr></blockquote>

Thanks, Jeff! That was very informative.

Unfortunately, those weren't the comments I wanted to hear
! Now I'm going to have to rethink my choice, re-read the article about 10 more times, and, in the end, eventually try the rennsports (or supercorsas) anyway, since I'm stubborn and have to find things like this out for myself

'Course, I'm planning on trying the street compounds - not the race versions, so I expect the tire to behave a little differently.

G

·
<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by fun2fly:
Yeah, I agree with you kidder. My D207's seem a bit better than what they are rating them. I think a bunch of guys would also agree they are very good tires. Makes me wonder though about the Bridgestone 010's, I think I may have to give them a try, the 010's are also cheaper where I live. I'm in the process of trying to get some slightly used michelin pilot race tires and dunlop race tires from a guy who gets them at the track on saturdays after practice sessions. $200 a set CDN $$.<hr></blockquote>

I'm not questioning your opinion, but have you tried any other tire besides the D207(ZR)? It's a little hard to judge a tire with nothing else to compare it to. Sure, you may love your 207s now, until you try a tire that makes them look silly (heck, I loved my CBR F4, until I got my gixxer
)

Personally, I've only ran dunlop ZRs and dunlop GPs - there's a world of difference between these two! Until I try the others, I'm going to tentatively trust the tire review. I'll form my own opinions as I run them (& I'm buying the supercorsas next week).

1 - 13 of 13 Posts