Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I need a new set of tires, and think I wanna try something different than the stock Dunlops, maybe something a little better? Another question is whats the advantage in going with a 190 over a 180? And will a 190 fit with a hugger, because thats a near purchase? I ride mostly regular city streets and freeways to school and work but hit the canyons and do some mountain riding when I get a chance? What tire should I go with? Diablos, M1's, or Pilots??? I know the pilot's are about the best of those but what you guys recommend for money and my situation. Thanks ahead

·
Banned
15,031 Posts
i've ran diablo's and powers and those stupid dunlops that come stock. I like he diablo's but i love the powers.

No you can't run a 190 on your bike's rim as it is. You'll need a wider rim for it. Also 190's are typically on liter bikes for that little extra contact patch with the higher power bikes. meaning a 190 is for looks. You'll corner and handle better in the twisties on a 180. if you look in the gruop memership and discount area you'll see gixxer.com tire sale. purchase from there.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah thats why I asked between Diablos, M1s, and powers, definitely going to buy from the group sales

·
Registered
6,771 Posts
I bought a set of Diablo's over the winter ($208 shipped to my door from Mike at Heatwave
) but unfortunately haven't had the chance to try them out yet...damn winter and shoulder surgery.

But I've heard great things about both the Diablo's and Pilot's.

·
Registered
819 Posts
Gimpsta - you can def. run a 190 on our rims. Rule of thumb is you can go two sizes up...if it will work with the hugger is another question. Also, your right about the 180's, go to the pits during race day and you'll see that everyone runs 180's and some even run 160's. THe 190 looks great but changes the handling some. SInce most are 190/50/17 and our stock tires are 180/55/17. The height off the rim is lower and the tire is wider on a 190. He can run them tho.

·
Registered
2,885 Posts
Gimpsta - you can def. run a 190 on our rims. Rule of thumb is you can go two sizes up...if it will work with the hugger is another question. Also, your right about the 180's, go to the pits during race day and you'll see that everyone runs 180's and some even run 160's. THe 190 looks great but changes the handling some. SInce most are 190/50/17 and our stock tires are 180/55/17. The height off the rim is lower and the tire is wider on a 190. He can run them tho.
Yes, you can run a 190, but it is not correct... and no, there isnt a rule of thumb about 2 sizes up.... The 190 DOES NOT fit properly on a stock 600/750 rim... You will over crown the tire... A 190 fits perfect on a 1000 rim, hence the reason they come stock with 190s. and its a 1/2" wider rim.... Do you think Suzuki just does it for shits and giggles? No there is areason they make the rim bigger when they put the bigger tire on. 180 tire is correct for our rims. A 190 is incorrect, I would not recommend it.

Scott

·
Registered
819 Posts
I've done it countless times (with both race take-off's and brand new tires), but I guess that the "play by the book" guys will always argue differently. I can run to the edges of the 190 with no crown issue. I have never experienced any problems with doing so, but if you want to argue whether its the correct or not....then your right. Just advising the guy that it is possible, whether it be correct or not.

In comment to "Do you think Suzuki just does it for shits and giggles", I suppose Suzuki lowered, engine swapped & threw NOS on YOUR bike because it was the CORRECT thing to do. Man people freak over tire issues. I've run race-take-offs with multiple plugs and people get all stressed out over it. Never one incident. However, I like to watch guys buy tire after tire because I visit my bud at the stealership and buy the tires the "play it by the book" guys pull off. Always get another year out of them.

I 100% recommend it!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Banned
15,031 Posts
Yes, you can run a 190, but it is not correct... and no, there isnt a rule of thumb about 2 sizes up.... The 190 DOES NOT fit properly on a stock 600/750 rim... You will over crown the tire... A 190 fits perfect on a 1000 rim, hence the reason they come stock with 190s. and its a 1/2" wider rim.... Do you think Suzuki just does it for shits and giggles? No there is areason they make the rim bigger when they put the bigger tire on. 180 tire is correct for our rims. A 190 is incorrect, I would not recommend it.

Scott

when i said you couldn't I meant you shouldn't. Its not a smart thing to put a wider tire on a smaller rim, but generally your still ok putting a smaller tire on a wider rim. Its going to be preference with what tire you want, but with racers they want to get around the quickest. So taller and narrower makes the bike "fall" over instead of fighting to "push" it over. Do I consistenly race over and over, no, but that is all my good friend does - so i'm always hitting up with questions for myself when i do track days.

·
Registered
98 Posts
ive had stock dunlop and 208gpa ok i guess but i am no pro. i see alot of you guys running the diablos, thinking about getting a set just wonder is it really worth it to get the diablo corsas or the diablo.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Big vote for Michelin Pilot Powers - just burned through two sets and just bought four more sets. Obviously happy with them.

Tire warmers not necessary and they can handle multiple heat cycles very well.

·
Banned
15,031 Posts
haha i guess i don't see what a picture would do for it. I'd buy 4 sets for myself too if i had the money all at once. Every place i've seen thats tried to sell the powers wants the rear for about $50 bucks less than the total WITH SHIPPING for the SET here at gixxer.com. And thats WITHOUT tax for the rear. So guess where I don't buy my tires. "my good friend" and he knows it too - plus he gets pissed.
sorry i tell him, i got 3 kids to think about.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Following table is from the Dunlop site. It recommends 5.5" rim for both the 180 and the 190. So, FWIW, Dunlop says you can run the 190 on your stock rim. Also, the tire is smaller in diameter, so width is only consideration for fit with hugger.
http://www.dunlopmotorcycle.com/tirecatalog_tire.asp?id=82

180/55ZR17 73W BW 32TX-30 5.50 6.00 24.96 6.97 7/32 805 @ 42
190/50ZR17 73W BW 32TX-22 5.50 6.00 24.72 7.32 7/32 805 @ 42

·
Registered
819 Posts
Following table is from the Dunlop site. It recommends 5.5" rim for both the 180 and the 190. So, FWIW, Dunlop says you can run the 190 on your stock rim. Also, the tire is smaller in diameter, so width is only consideration for fit with hugger.
http://www.dunlopmotorcycle.com/tirecatalog_tire.asp?id=82

180/55ZR17 73W BW 32TX-30 5.50 6.00 24.96 6.97 7/32 805 @ 42
190/50ZR17 73W BW 32TX-22 5.50 6.00 24.72 7.32 7/32 805 @ 42

THANK YOU FOR CLARIFICATION......
to all you disbelivers

1 - 20 of 33 Posts