Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am getting ready to do a trackday in April and am trying to decide on getting either Michelin Pilot Powers or Michelin Pilot Powers Race. I currently ride on Pirelli Diablo tires but don't trust them for a trackday. I ride pretty hard and don't know if Pilot Powers would be good enough? Anyone have any experience with the normal Pilot powers on the track or how do the race tires hold up on the street.
Thanks
Alain

·
Registered
34,392 Posts
First trackday. I would go with Powers, not power Race. They are not worth the money unless you are a full blown racer or are about ready to go into racing. You would be better buying a set of D208 GP from someone on the site as powers are expensive even for racers (Over $400 a set.)

But powers will be fine for a trackday. Set pressures around 34 psi so they don't get to hot and greasy to fast.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
This would be my 2nd trackday but I understand what your saying. I actually found a place that I can get the Power Race for $289 shipped for the medium compound. The best price I have found for regular Pilot Powers is $239 shipped. So you think a regular set of Powers should do the trick?

Thanks again for the help.

Alain

·
Registered
34,392 Posts
If you can get Races that cheap give them a shot. Figure they will give better grip for the 1000, but performance will fall off as you use them (should be able to get about 3-4 trackdays out of them. Also make sure you give at least 2 laps of warm up if not using tire warmers.

If you run the Races set pressures to start at 30/30.

·
Registered
34,392 Posts
Just an FYI, when I made the switch from D207 street to Mich Pilot Race M1 I was able to drop my laptimes by 3 seconds that day. You willl be able to drag the footpegs easily enough with the Races (I did even at 120 mph) so they will allow you to push a bit more then you would normally.

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
FYI - I'm "slow" in the race group and still run Pilot Powers with some performance left in them so you should be fine. I'm going to the Power Races soon. Tire pressure 30 front 28 rear as per Michelin tire reps.

·
Registered
34,392 Posts
30/28 for power races is a good bet, but I wouldn't run that on the power streets. It may see right but they will get a lot hotter and break down faster as street tires are designed to work at lower temps. They will become greasy faster and start sliding more (especially on the 1000). My 207 last time on them I could not give any power coming out of the corners by mid day (2nd trackday) as the rear would spin on every bit of throttle input beside very slow rollon. And even some times at neutral throttle.

·
Registered
5,050 Posts
You willl be able to drag the footpegs easily enough with the Races (I did even at 120 mph)
With all due respect...

That is not advisable. Just asking for trouble there. If you hang off more and reduce your lean angle you can det on the throttle harder and sooner w/less risk. Turn that 3sec into 6sec.

·
Registered
9,174 Posts
You willl be able to drag the footpegs easily enough with the Races (I did even at 120 mph)
With all due respect...

That is not advisable. Just asking for trouble there. If you hang off more and reduce your lean angle you can det on the throttle harder and sooner w/less risk. Turn that 3sec into 6sec.
Agreed. 100%

If you're draggin pegs on a modern sportbike one of a couple of problems are present. Either your line sucks, or you're off the gas... or both.. or your suspension set-up is poor. It's probably NOT because you're going fast... it's because you've botched the corner.

That being said, I'm always a fan of using RACE tires for the RACE track.

Good Luck and have fun.

·
Registered
6,418 Posts
thats only the michelins.

i agree race track race tires. buy the best tires you can....its cheap insurance

·
Registered
34,392 Posts
As stated it is what is possbile. I never meant for him to go try it. Last time out at that track I was able to go faster on my 600 then I did on my 1000 so I have picked up time in every corner. Now I agree I still have to work on my body position on the right turns, but it seems to be a losing battle. No matter what I try if I try to relax while hanging off on rights I can't seem to keep the bike from continuing to lean so some bar pressure is used and I can't get off as much as I would like. Another 2-3 seconds would be easy if I could get as comfortable with rights as I am with lefts. I only hit peg once or twice through the day in the corner (actually if done right is a 3rd gear kink 3/4 to full throttle leading into a 2nd gear tight right hander)

The picture in my sig is the same turn I was hitting peg with the 1000 so Body Pos. isn't to bad. The one below is on the 1000 in a different turn but the same day. Any tips would help. Just got some Vortex so going to play with positions.

·
Registered
849 Posts
You should go with the Pilot Powers. You don't need race tires for a trackday unless you are really fast (and I'm not talking about by your own definition) and plan on running at a serious race pace. I had the chance to do the Kevin Schwantz school a few months ago and they were running the Pilot Powers on Suzuki World Cup bikes with no problems. And I'm pretty sure you aren't nearly at the speeds those guys (Opie, Ted, Kevin, Jamie, etc.) were running. Understand that it is not meant to be an insult just stating the probable truth. We had guys in the class who couldn't believe they weren't running race tires at the speeds they were going. Another thing to keep in mind is that these tires were run the first day in the rain and the second day at 80F. We were told they usually get atleast 2 schools (equiv. 4 trackdays) out of the tires. Just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
6,418 Posts
bro as mentioned before if you would get off the bike more, your bike would have less lean angle. you are almost centered on top of the bike. your head (upper body) should be to the right of the windscreen

and fwiw, all right handed riders naturally turn left better than right. it will come with time. not sure where you are roebling road in savana ga taught me. its all right handers.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.