Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys, I bought the bike and the salesman who races WERA stated to run 34 front and 32 rear. Is this a good pressure to run. Book states more. Will running these pressures cause premature wear ??? & less grip ???

·
Chubby Chaser
57,844 Posts
10 lbs less in the back?

That might be a little too low. You may get grip in hard straight line acceleration, but I think your handling will suffer a bit.

·
Registered
113 Posts
The manufacturer's specified pressure is for sustained running at max speed with max load. So, unless you're going to cruise at a steady 170 with a passenger on the back, you don't need nearly as much air as that.

For riding hard in the twisties, I run 32/32. For "normal" riding, 34/34. For road trips on the highway, 34/36.

Also, just FYI, the California Superbike School (i.e. Keith Code school) uses street compound tires on the student bikes (Dunlop D208ZR last time I checked), and they run 32/32 in those for the students' track use.

·
Registered
961 Posts
For normal everyday riding use 36/42 for best tire life. When you have something to prove in the twisties go 32/32. For sustained high speed runs use 34/42 or your rear tire will melt.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Overinflation is not as bad for the tire as underinflation, but it's still bad.

And since 36/42 is for max load at max speed, 42 in the rear is going to be overinflated for anybody of reasonably normal weight. Riding an overinflated tire reduces the contact patch size to being too small. That concentrates the power you're putting down into too small an area, which will tear the tire up quicker.

I once got 12K miles out of a rear tire on my '98 ZX9 using 36 - 38 psi.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I was wondering the same thing, only for the track as I have a track day coming up this Sunday. Here's the response on some baseline settings for the BT014's from a Bridgestone rep (this is for running on the track, not recommended for the street):

>>I would start at 29psi rear and 31psi front and work from there.
>>Tire pressure is usually a matter of taste on the track.
>>
>>Norris "T.J." Tennent
>>Product Manager/Motorcycle, Kart, Fuzion
>>Bridgestone/Firestone, Inc.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts