Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a 97 GSXR 750 and it nees some new rubbers

Previously had D207 street version.

I am looking at the new D208 or possibly the Michelin Pilots.

What would you guys recommend? I don't ever get onto a track... but i do fairly decent lean angles (I can pretty much go all the way on tire... no clean rubber on the rear... just a tad on front)
Should I look into the "GP" compounds? Or are these harder to heat up? Is the mileage the same?? Any general tire info from experts would be appreciated.

Also, with the fatter rear rim.... Am I forced into using a 190/50/17?

Or will the 180/55/17 work as well??

Bombard me with info and opinions plz

·
Registered
727 Posts
My favorite is the 120/70 with a 190/55 on the back. Don't bother with the race compound. The streets are plenty good and the GP's are too short lived. I think they're all good enough but have been pretty happy with the Diablos

·
Registered
727 Posts
the 180 on the back is fine but I prefer the feel of the 190.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sorry.. i'm more of a MX guy. What are the Diablo's? Pirelli"s????

I want to try something new this time (ridden D207's exclusively after Battleaxes on my 95 GSXR )

anyone have a synopsis on the different tire brands? LIke X tire tirns in faster but has less lateral grip, etc??

On MX the tire doesn't seem to have such a huge effect. But on the street, the bike felt soooo much different when i switched from Bridgestone to Dunlop.. i had to relearn the bike for a while.

But the first time I did switch profiles on the front. It was shorter orginally and i switched to higher profile.

I guess I am just trying to educate myelf about how the different profile react to steering inputs etc.

if i don't get any mre feedback, i'll prolly just go with the D208's (just cuz it's all i know)

·
Registered
727 Posts
I have better experience with the differences in profile on race tires. I find the Dunlops to have the steepest front profiles and fastest turnin. Pirellis are flatter and a bit slower but more stable. Bridgestones are great 014's will be the newest of the battleaxes. Good all purpose tire.

·
Bearded Viking Admin...
131,133 Posts
I'd take either (in this order):

Metzeler M-1 Sportec
Pirelli Diablo
Michelin Pilot Power

All of them have placed higher than the 208s in every tire test I've seen them in. With a 6" rear rim I'd probably stay with the 190

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks. anyone else care to chime in?

i figured i'd get a lot more responses. probably should have posted in gsxr1000 forum. seems to be more members lurking there

seriously considering the Diablos at this point.

Where is a good place to pick up a set??? On a budget still owe some money to my bro for the bike.

I sold my 95 for $3500 and picked his up for $4,200. I will post a new thread with a pic

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
well, i did some more research on other sites. Sportbikes.com and also sportrider

It appears that most agree that the Pirelli Diablos are great for what i plan to do. Fairly agressive street riding in the twisties.

However, most people there all recommended the 180/55 tire. Even on the 6 inch rim they said it is better than a 190/50-17. They said that this provides the best handling.

They referenced an article in sportrider mag about tire profiles etc.(feb 03 pg 36) They however did say that the 190/55-17 on a 6 inch rim best matches the profile of the 180/55-17 on a 5.5 inch rim.

Sooooo.... right now I am leaning towards Diablo's with 120/70-17 and 180/55-17

just thought i'd share my findings

1 - 8 of 8 Posts