Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Originally posted by Ratbike Rider:
Anyone have advice for me on my oddball tire size? Looks to me that Metzeler offers the Z4 in 160/60ZR18 and Michelin has the Macadam 90X in the same size (with matching front tires in each case). Any other suggestions, or has anyone had experience with either of these tires?
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">160 might be too wide for the 4" rim; the mininum rim width according to Bridgestone is 4.25" for a 160 tire.

I've used both Bridgestone BT45 and Avon AM18/20 and they've worked well. Both of these tires come in a wide selection of sizes so there shouldn't be any problem finding the correct sizes that you need. I've never tried the Metzler Z4, but I prefer the BT45 over the Macadam 90X.

Yancy

·
Registered
553 Posts
I had a set of Metzeler Z2 tyres on a previous bike, and I really liked them. A good combination of grip and long life. I'm assuming that the Z4 is even better than the Z2..??

·
Registered
461 Posts
I have had a 160 on the 4" rim(BT57 Bridgesotne) and a 170(old ME1 Comk K Metzler, remember those?)
the 170 is way too wide, but the 160 works just fine.

don't forget eh BT010 from bridgesotne.
it is available for the rear in a 150 and 160 size.(no compatible front though
)

·
Registered
31 Posts
I've got around 1500mi on my set of Mez4's with no problems whatsoever. 160/6018 rear, 110/80/18 front. No wobbles or uncontrolled slides even on slick pavement. They seem to be wearing pretty good for sport oriented tires...so far. The are a bit heavy in slow speed manuvers especially with a damper but nothing you can't get used to. I will be buying these again when the time comes.

[ 08-20-2002, 10:37 PM: Message edited by: Justice ]

·
Premium Member
185 Posts
Anyone have advice for me on my oddball tire size? Looks to me that Metzeler offers the Z4 in 160/60ZR18 and Michelin has the Macadam 90X in the same size (with matching front tires in each case). Any other suggestions, or has anyone had experience with either of these tires?

·
Registered
156 Posts
If you don't want too agressive I run a Dunlop Sportmax II 160/60ZR18. It used to have a 150/70VR18 but that's an out of collection tire at this point. I have an 86 750 but run 88 1100 3 spike rims.

·
Banned
3,509 Posts
Dunlop K591's used to work really well on the narrow rims. But then they quit making tham last year and came out with 501 (I think it is called the 501)

Don't go too wide. It will mae the bike shift back & forth under cornering load. You're better off staying with a proper width in a sticky compound for better handling.

Think of it as a 250GP bike. They run much narrower tires than other bikes but look how well they corner. I's all in proper set-up and traction.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts