Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was watching a TV show about police chases and noticed that car tires pop after the car has been speeding around for a while. My question is how long do you think you can run motorcycle tire before it fails/pop? I have heard guys say they have ridden 100+ MPH for 1.5 -2 hrs.

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
Are you sure they dont fail because of spike strips?

Also, keep in mind, how often do you see a tuned racing machine running from the cops? Or is it a old honda civic or some kind of pickup? Trust me, I doubt they are buying quality tires and replacing them when they need to. They fail cause they are shitty probably.

·
Banned
15,031 Posts
your higher performance street tire for your bike is probably rated for higher speeds, and its a racing machine out of the box - unlike your old f150.

not to mention, do you know how long endurance races are? sure they use race tires, but you could use a PP or something and it'll last. Thats over 100mph for 4+hrs.

·
Registered
2,298 Posts
reddeth said:
Are you sure they dont fail because of spike strips?

Also, keep in mind, how often do you see a tuned racing machine running from the cops? Or is it a old honda civic or some kind of pickup? Trust me, I doubt they are buying quality tires and replacing them when they need to. They fail cause they are shitty probably.
Totally agree. It's always some POS car, then they go hopping curbs and off roading. That, and the occasional spike strip, are what makes the tires pop. Not to mention, they're probably some discount no-name tires with 25psi in them anyway.

·
Registered
14 Posts
ELOVE said:
I was watching a TV show about police chases and noticed that car tires pop after the car has been speeding around for a while. My question is how long do you think you can run motorcycle tire before it fails/pop? I have heard guys say they have ridden 100+ MPH for 1.5 -2 hrs.
Planning a bank robbery in the near future??:D

·
Mightiest Sorcerer of the Lands a.k.a. Rhinocerous
22,048 Posts
Come on, like no one here has played Need For Speed: Most Wanted?

:p

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
Passenger street tires on cars are shit. They are made for comfort, not performance.

I have a set of Falken Azenis RT-615s on my car for track days and summer tires. They are bald on the inside of the tire, 7000 miles later (thanks to negative camber), and they ride like a log truck on public streets. But, the 2 seconds they give me at the race track more than make up for it. There are only 2 or 3 other tire models that can maintain the same performance, and they are not carried by any local tire shop, believe me. Even those Falkens would melt after a few miles of "high speed" running because they are made to operate at relatively low temperatures (about 100-130 F). Drive you car for 10 miles at over a 100 mph, I bet you tires will be too hot to touch. The Azeni's would turn to goo.

Motorcycles do not have the weight that cars do, so the tires do not have to do as much work (relative to a car's tire). The types of tires that go on sport bikes are also made to operate at safely extremely high temperatures (150+ F). You can also buy a more aggressive tire if you are planning on abusing them. DOT race rubber would be ideal, as it is made for the race track. The down side is they take a lot more scrubbing to get to temperature. I like this since for long highway trips they never get to temp, and I get way more life out of a track-day tire than I do out of a standard tire. I just remember that I need to work the tires a bit when I get to the fun sections.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.