Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
815 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, pretty soon it will be time for me to decide on what tire to buy. I just bought the bike, and the rear tire is the only thing that needs to be replaced. Previous owner seemed to like to do burn outs all the time or something. Anyways, I was wondering what are some of your recomendations for the gsxr? My bike is my daily driver. So I'm looking for longevity as well as grip. Tire size I'll be using is 190/50-17.

Going from my car knowledge, Michelin and Dunlop were usually the brands to buy. Does this still hold true for motorcycles?

[ 01-20-2003, 10:32 PM: Message edited by: AzGixxxer ]

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
The answers you are going to get on this forum are not really what you are looking for. We all run race tires and more often than not you really don't want to run these on the street. Post this again on one of the General forums and you will get the answers that you are looking for. Either way - you are going to get people swearing by Dunlop, Michelin, Pirelli, Bridgestone in the very least.
-Shane

·
Registered
68 Posts
To directly answer your tire question, it is a matter of personal taste.

I've heard good things about the Dunlop 207's (now 208's) and personally like to get Metzler M1's next time round.

·
Registered
6,037 Posts
Sounds like you're in the same boat as me. Want mileage and get your ya-ya's out every once in a while. I was gonna get M-1's, but the general opinion is that Bridgestone BT010's will give almost the same grip but last longer. I have no previous experience with either, but maybe that helps you narrow it down.

·
Registered
815 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Originally posted by easter bunny:
but the general opinion is that Bridgestone BT010's will give almost the same grip but last longer.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">That is what I keep hearing off of this forum. That those bridgestones are the best for the money. But I never really trusted bridgestone before, but then again, I've never owned a motorcycle before either.

·
Registered
582 Posts
i was worried about tire wear when i was first looking for new tires but now i realize that the difference in how long they last is not big enough to really worry about. i now plan on using some supercorsa's next time since i have heard some really good things about them.

and who have you been talking to about car tires? michelins are shitty and overpriced.

·
Registered
815 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

supercorsa's "look" like a pretty nice tire. Pirelli always makes excellent tires. I watched some tire making thing they did on speedvision a week or so ago. Very informational.

As far as Michelin making good car tires is of my own personal preference and opinion. They have the least amount of road noise the more money you spend. As for traction, they are "moderate". But for commute, all that I cared about was road noise. That is what my basis for comparison was about when I mentioned michelin being a good tire.

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
I use the BT010 for street riding ,never had a problem with em ,best value for money around and they real grippy as well. For track days i do use michelin race soft tyres though. BT010 is the way to go. If u want more mileage get 010 for the front an 020 for the rear.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I would say BT 10's for a great all around tire. I have ridden them in the mountains and on the straight roads of florida. Currently i am running M1's and personally i think they suck, or at least for a florida tire. I have had my front end slide out on numerous occasions because the tire wouldnt stick to the ground. But on the other hand the front tire stoppies like a champ once it is warmed up. And then there is the good old Pilot Sports. They are expensive but are well worth it. They take a little bit to warm up but i never had them slide unintentionally. Your best bet and bang for the buck would have to be the BT-10's though. That is from my experience with tires all on a TL. They may handle a little different on other bikes so keep that in mind. Dustin

·
Registered
815 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks... great advice all around. Exactly what I was hoping for from other posters. Thanks!

I looked at my rear tire today, and I decided I need a new tire in the next couple of days. So here is another question for you people.

The break in on a tire I read is something like a 100 miles. How gingerly should I limp around on the new tire until it is properly broken in with all the new tire elements being less slick? I am a new rider, so I don't exactly scrape my knees going around turns or anything. I usually slow down to at least 15mph for 90degree turns. So with that brief brief description of how I ride, would I have to take it slower around turns than that?

[ 01-22-2003, 10:42 PM: Message edited by: AzGixxxer ]

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
Better to ride carefully for the first while (50 - 100 miles) just to scrub off all the slick stuff off the tyre. 15 mph on 90 degree bends should not be aproblem though...if u riding at that level you should seriously consider getting the BT010 front an BT020 rear ...these tyres will suit your riding an save u $$ .

Cheers

·
Registered
970 Posts
You can go on to cybersportbike.com they have tire reviews from riders on just about every tire, helped me make up my mind i just ordered the metzler sportec M1 good luck

·
Registered
360 Posts
My $.02....I just got done ordering a new tire becuase my awesome Dunlop 207 got 4100 miles in the Florida Heat. That's pretty good for a tire in the mostly hot and sunny weather. Great mileage and a good grip. I'm going with the Dunlop 208 for my replacement. Bought mine from Discountmotorcycletires.com

·
Registered
815 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I've decided on buying the Dunlop 208. I got a great deal on it. $140 installed not including tax. I'm replacing a Dunlop 207. It seemed to work well so I guess I'll stick with Dunlop.

·
Registered
868 Posts
I run D207RR they have them for a great price at kneedraggers.com along wih all kinds of other great deals.

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
Originally posted by AzGixxxer:
Well, pretty soon it will be time for me to decide on what tire to buy. I just bought the bike, and the rear tire is the only thing that needs to be replaced. Previous owner seemed to like to do burn outs all the time or something. Anyways, I was wondering what are some of your recomendations for the gsxr? My bike is my daily driver. So I'm looking for longevity as well as grip. Tire size I'll be using is 190/50-17.

Going from my car knowledge, Michelin and Dunlop were usually the brands to buy. Does this still hold true for motorcycles?
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">I'm at the same point myself, the choice according to most people seem to be: Pilot Sports, BT010 or M1. I'm real tempted to try out Avon's Azaro tyre.

·
Bearded Viking Admin...
131,130 Posts
Metzeler Z3's
Don't last long but damn sticky!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts