Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i just went to the strip for the first time this year. i went once before but that was 1 week after i bought the bike. anyway my local track just opened so i went up yesterday and was only able to rip off a 12.5 second quarter. i was spinning all the way through 3rd gear the first run. on my last run i spun the rear tire and wheelied it through first. i cant find traction. they havent laid down any new traction adder this year though so that might have something to do with it. anyway im looking for some tips on what to do next time i go. im going to try lowering the rear tire psi and strapping the front end. id like to hit low 10's .

mods are in sig. oh yeah and this is without nitrous.

·
Registered
637 Posts
low 10's on a 2001 600, i am afraid will mean you need to hit the squeeze.

make sure your rear shock preload and compression are tight for the strip, but that you put it back for general riding.

do they have you do burnouts before the runs ?

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ya i warmed the tire on the last run. but they really need to recoat the track cause untill then im probably just going to spin. i dont think low 10's are unobtainable im not new to riding just new to drag racing my bike. ive raced my cars many times. any way anyone have any more tips.

·
Registered
34,392 Posts
Spinning the rear in 3rd gear on a 600 (no NOS) with a decent burnout, I would have to say something is wrong. Traction adder or not, unless you are riding on glass you should not be spinning the rear. Unless somehow you are spinning all the way through 3rd gear but even then I don't see how a 600 could do that without NOS even on regular street touring tires.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
no the spinning through 3rd gear was without a burnout and 32 psi in the rear tire. this is the first time this track has been open since last year so it was a bit dusty and everything. i was running the first run against a cbr600rr and he said he was having the same problem after we raced .he ran a 21 or something cause he was spinning hard in 2nd. im gonna go back again this weekend hopefully it will be better this time. and ya i spun from 1st till 3rd not broke it loose in third. it got really squirley on the 1-2 shift.

·
Registered
34,392 Posts
For drag racing your rear tire pressure needs to be 30 or below. I ran 11.38 on my 03 600 on my 5th run down the strip. First drag run ever was 11.999

Full M4, PC 3, BMC race filter, Mich Pilot Race Soft 1, 30 psi rear, -1 front +1 rear, 520 conversion, and 1/4-1/2 inch shorter wheelbase

Bike is cabable of maybe mid to low 10s with a experienced drag racer and stock or longer wheelbase.

·
Registered
497 Posts
i ran 11.00 on my gfs 01 600 2nd run. no mods except for yosh pipe. havent run it again yet..she managed a 11.60

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
ya im just learing how to drag my bike. ive been racing before just not on the bike. anyway ill post my time from this coming weekend if i can make it there.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts