Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As a girl, I absolutely hate going to bike (or car) dealerships. As soon as I walk in the door, I feel like I'm wearing a flashing neon sign that says "victim" all over it.

I do as much research as I can before going in, but I just don't have much experience with bikes. Some of the salespeople I can figure out right away and try to get away from as fast as possible. But the majority I really can't tell if they're being honest with me.

So I'm wondering if anyone has tips about going in to check out/buy a new bike at a dealer? Would I be better off going in with a set price and basically say take it or leave it? Should I try to play the number game and go back and forth on price? My worry with that though is that they'll never give the same number they would for a guy and I'll end up getting screwed on the price. Or is it just necessary to bring a guy with me when I make the final purchase?

·
Registered
2,402 Posts
First check to see what the bike in question is selling for. Check internet, out the door prices. Go with a quote and see if they will match it. Read everything before signing. If you want an Extended wtys they can be bought cheaper after the purchase. Sometimes it is worth saving $1k to drive an hour to a different dealer. Have credit arranged before going to dealer.
bank?, credit union?

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the suggestions. As I get closer, guess I'll check on here and see what people are buying them for....it'll make it easier to have a specific number in mind I guess. And I hadn't thought about taking care of the financing ahead of time....I'll plan on that too.

·
Registered
32 Posts
There seems to be a stereotype here, and I cannot speak for every salesperson but I have been a sales/finance guy for awhile now and I know the know-it-all jerks pay the most ;) Just decide on a fair number and stick to your decision hard as you negotiate. If you actually find a salesperson who beats up up hard or takes advantage of you or gives you that sort of vibe then simply do not deal with him/her. In this market the idea is to move bikes.

809 Posts
Do your research and be prepared. If you know someone who can haggle for you, bring them. Since it's October, you should be getting a price you don't mind paying. Looking for a left over model, might help there....I have decided not to buy new again....I got a deal on my 08 bike and it had 662 miles on it....it now has like 3300 since June....

·
Ex-Lady Supermod
16,100 Posts
I never stepped foot in a dealership. I used the "Get a quote" on the dealers web page. The standard reply was "Come in and see us and we'll give you a good price." Well, I'm not driving all over the Lone Star state to see who will give me the best price. Finally, found a dealership that was willing to talk. We negotiated, he never knew my gender and I had an OTD before stepping foot in the dealership in writing. That is how I bought my last car as well.

·
Premium Member
1,085 Posts
I never stepped foot in a dealership. I used the "Get a quote" on the dealers web page. The standard reply was "Come in and see us and we'll give you a good price." Well, I'm not driving all over the Lone Star state to see who will give me the best price. Finally, found a dealership that was willing to talk. We negotiated, he never knew my gender and I had an OTD before stepping foot in the dealership in writing. That is how I bought my last car as well.
I like this method.....

I'll be trying this on my next purchase :cheers

·
Registered
12 Posts
tips for buying from a dealer:

don't.

unless its a small local low volume dealer, you're probably gonna get screwed. but if you must, try and haggle for things you may need: a jacket, gloves, an extra set of tires. theyll usually throw in a helmet, but as a new rider i learned that tires arent cheap, and something as simple as a nail ruins one.

when you're buying, be wary of extended warranties etc etc. this jacked up the price of my bike almost 3 grand with everything thrown in. you usually get a one year warranty, and if anything goes wrong with a new bike, it happens quick.

also, labor at a dealer will screw you. find a good local shop, and network your way into knowing who the best wrench is for the buck. the dealer probably wouldve charged me double what my local shop did to change oil.

·
Fragile Little Flower of Texan Femininity
98,059 Posts
go in prepared, have a number in your head that you're comfortable with.

but most of all, shop until you find a dealer/salesperson you're comfortable with. contrary to popular belief, there ARE sales people out there who are honest. they might be harder to find, but they do exist. bottom line, if you're not comfortable with the service...walk. plain and simple.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Great suggestions....thnx! I like the idea of using the internet to get some quotes. That'll allow me to get a better and more accurate feeling about the price I can get.....and a number to bring into the dealer I'd like to buy from. I guess that's the nice thing about buying new....it will be easy to walk away from a dealer because I can find the exact same bike at any other one.

·
Registered
688 Posts
Definately shop around and compare prices. When I bought my gixxer, a sales person over the phone offered me a bottom price of 9,600 out the door. I use this price as the base not how much the base price of the bike is. Lot of the dealerships though will not want to discuss pricing with you over the phone. So, I would tell them over the phone, if you can make it worth my time for me to come in I will. I understand that you cannot give me the exact price but in the neighborhood of... give me a figure to work with here. At this point if they are still in the BS mode, thank them and move on. Keep making calls and try to obtain a figure. Of course also check the forums and the internet.

This has worked out for me pretty well.

Crap, I'm sorry, I think I was suppose to stay out of this thread. Sorry in advance.

·
Premium Member
179 Posts
Great suggestions....thnx! I like the idea of using the internet to get some quotes. That'll allow me to get a better and more accurate feeling about the price I can get.....and a number to bring into the dealer I'd like to buy from. I guess that's the nice thing about buying new....it will be easy to walk away from a dealer because I can find the exact same bike at any other one.
Chase, just realize prices vary greatly throughout the country, and I found most of the great internet deals had all sorts of hidden fees in the fine print. Also, realize that models may change very little from year to year, and finding a left-over from prior years can save lots of money. But I'm a girl too, and if I see a color I want, I have to have it NOW (as you can see from my sig.). :biggrin

·
Registered
189 Posts
I have been in auto sales for 10 years....no different then bikes....You want to develope a good relationship with ONE salesman that you can trust and is fair and honest. Now this is hard to find but this is what I have built my business on. When I came to work at my dealership 10 years ago I had never been in the business before and didn't care to be. I have a degree in Business Banking and Marketing Management so I was going to work at my local investment bank but a friend I have known since 6th grade was a Finance Mgr at this dealership and said I would fit how they do business....I laughed...No way was I riping people off to feed my family....he said, "We dont work that way...come try it and if you like it and it's what I say it is then stay...if not give it two weeks and leave!"....well as I said I have been here for 10 years now...guess I am staying....There are good saleman out there...Yes they are hard to find...but the idea as stated before is to find someone that you mess with that is fair....but you as the buyer has to be fair too...contrary to belief the dealership is intitled to make a profit...it takes a lot of money to run a dealership and pay the floorplan (payments of about 1% of the cost of a car or in this case bike that a dealer pays after 90 days of it being on the lot...so we have 90 days interest free to sell it....after that we pay 1% a month until it's sold) but yes we are intitled to a 'fair' profit....the key is FAIR...so don't beat your salesman up....you do not want to do that...he is the guy that is going to bat for YOU. remember he doesn't make anything if you don't buy....usually...I say usually as i do not get paid a commision...i get a salary and then $100 a car and then bonuses at 10-12-15 cars a month, demo allowance, and bonuses from the manufacturers...but most people do get a commision so the salesman's job is to work for you to get you a fair price...now there are a lot of sleaze bag guys and girls out there both as salesmen and buyers....but do not give up....you just have to tell the person you are trying to work with in a very nice manor that you are looking to develope a relationship for years to come and will stay loyal to him or her as long as they return the same to you, that you want a fair price and no bs...but do not come off condisending cause if you do....YOU WILL PAY MORE TRUST ME....there are many ways to 'work' a deal....but if there is trade leave it out...don't even mention it....get the fair price on the bike...then if you have a trade once you are satisfied with the price of the new/used bike then tell the salesman that you may decide to trade a bike you have or sell it outright....but make it clear that you will only be able to purchase the new bike if either he gives you enough for the trade that you need or you sell the trade outright first and then would come in and buy the new bike...remember this is all AFTER you have gotten your fair price on the new one....that way the new bikes price is established and after you have settled on an interest rate on the new purchase....if there is a possible trade this is the LAST thing you mention or work out....you want all other aspects of the deal established first in a FAIR way to you AND the dealer. that way you are comfortable....then talk trade if there is one...now remember you will see bikes like your trade, if you have one, at the dealership....and NO you can not trade your bike for what they are asking for that same bike they are selling used on their lot....YOU are not a dealer, don't have the overhead they have, can't provide a warranty on the bike, didn't inspect the bike, service it, and can't provide financing like they can so no you can't buy your new bike at a wholesale level (meaning a $100 over invoice or so ) and then trade your bike in at full retail (meaning the amount they are asking for a used bike on their lot)....the rule is this....Trade at Wholesale/buy at wholesale....buy at retail/trade at retail.....NOT trade retail/buy wholesale.....it WON"T HAPPEN I PROMISE YOU.....Now always remember this...as you will probably see after this post by me....someone you know will always chime in and say they got a better deal then you did, you got riped off....trust me it's not true....a friend, coworker, relative, or neighbor can always buy it cheaper then you can.....it's not true....they are telling you one part of the deal...the selling price....they aren't telling you that they might have bought it $500 cheaper then you but paid a much higher interest rate and their trade in was worth $1000 more then what the dealership really gave them and they paid $300 higher in warranty price then they should have paid.....not who got the better deal? YOU DID....You went in was fair to your dealership and saleman that went to bat for you that you are going to go to him and ONLY him for years to come ( a quick way to get terrible service is to jump salesman to salesman....you will get screwed and then no one will go to bat for you when you are 3 months out of warranty and your engine or trans goes out....verses if you had the same salesman for years, was nice and fair with him/her, and frequented the dealership to have service performed or bought some parts every now and then....the internet can cost you a lot more in the end....yes you may save some greenbacks on that new helmet you want but when that engine or trans has a big problem and you ask the dealership to step up and go that extra mile to cover it even though you are 300 miles out of warranty...go try to call that internet guy you bought a helmet from and saved a whole $40 and ask him if he will cover that engine and trans problem for you....click....oh sorry that's the phone hanging up or you may hear him laugh so hard his face will hurt....this is why a relationship with the dealer is important...and you don't think it will happen to you.....if you think that you are the next person it will happen to...i've been around too long...i've seen it! so sorry to jump around but I hope this helps and any questions just ask.....I am new on here but I have a TL1000R as well and live on thier forums....but also have my love of my life my 95 Gixxer 1100 that I just restored (my first new bike I ever bought) that looks brand new...so why not chime in here too....Good luck and ride safe.....and Oh yeah be nice to your salesman....he might just be holding the ladder you climbed up to the top of your new bike on..and might just be holding it when you climb back down when you are having a problem....you will want him to be there for you!

Wm~

1 - 14 of 14 Posts