Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3,097 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys - I've found a tight "section" - about 4 or 5 links that have gone quite rigid in their pins. I've lubed them more than the rest, tired all soughts of things to loosen it up - but to no avail. Usualliy I 'd throw it and buy another but this one is only a few months old.

I recall some old folk saying that if you boil a chain in grease it would come out like new - anyone ever heard / tried this ? Wouldn;t the O rings melt if this was done ? What about 2 or 3 joining links - is this as dangerous as it types out ?? come fella's - let me know the truth, I can take it, bring it on to me - is my chain done for or what ?
THanks. Si.

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
Just get a new one, man. Do you know what happens if a chain breaks at 80mph?

·
Jurassic Skool
79,800 Posts
Replace it with a new one, but look into the warranty on the other. Might be a manufacturer's defect. Your dealer might send it back for you, or you can send it off. Doesn't seem like normal wear and tear.

·
Premium Member
4,505 Posts
yeah, ditch the chain. i watched my friend's chain completely ruin his engine case on his hayabusa going 65 MPH trying to do a wheelie. not worth it. i can tell you that he learned an expensive lesson!

·
Registered
800 Posts
Boiling a chain in oil, is an old nastey tale.
Dont do it!
First theres a HUGE fire hazard, second, if its that used up, its worn out!
Do what others in the forum have already said, replace it!
Regards~ Jim

·
Registered
3,097 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The stories of chain breaking and ruining cases - let alone calf muscles scared me into a new one....
Cheers Guys.
S

·
Premium Member
3,183 Posts
The boiling in oil thing is based on sitting the old NON O ring chains in a tub of grease being heated by an electric element (hopefully, outside
). It worked in the sense that making the grease nice and runny allowed it to flow nicely all over the chain. Still made one helluva mess when used though. Ancient history
. Buy a new chain !

1 - 8 of 8 Posts