Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey again guys, so ive been working on my bike and everything has started to look good and have been really happy to get the bike out.
I have started doing a install of some new hand and clutch levers after getting a pair that did not fit, i finally got one that did.
I wasnt sure about the adjusting knob on the clutch side and thought it was to loosen the cable and later found out that it was for my throttle, Woops!
Was interesting to see and learn, but now i have to get it back to the right tightness i guess i would call it for a lack of better words.
I tightened it and got it better to normal, but it still isnt how it is supposed to be. It took long to get to a higher speed and was reving a lot harder.
When i got back home i tightened it some more but did not take it out, tomorrow i will and am hoping it is perfect or even better, since i tightened it a lot more.

Questions i want to know if there is a sweet spot or a spot that can be found my default that is factory set, or is it just play around with it untill its where i want it to be?

I reallly appreciate it, i put some pictures to show what i am taking about.

Thanks

Attachments

·
Hand-Eye Coordinator
6,509 Posts
Adjust the levers according to your owner's manual.

You say that it took a while to find a pair that fit... I'm assuming you bought Chinese levers. THROW THOSE THINGS AWAY! Chinesium levers will kill you.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

You say that it took a while to find a pair that fit... I'm assuming you bought Chinese levers. THROW THOSE THINGS AWAY! Chinesium levers will kill you.
Found it, How would this work if im using a shorty lever tho?
Thanks, i know ive seen chinese break pedals break just from foot pressure, ive had levers tho before and these feel good quality.

Attachments

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Is anyone familiar with this mechanism, if it has better throttle when tightened then the more you tighten the better response you get and sounds like it can give a edge in a faster start?

·
Squid
3,564 Posts
You need it so that there is a bit of free play when the handlebars are at full lock. This will result in more free play when they are centered but you have to live with that. It sounds like your clutch adjustment is too tight because its taking you longer to get up to speed. Your clutch might be slipping because you are just turning knobs without knowing how the mechanism works.

·
Registered
88 Posts

This. I know they're tempting but these really aren't something you want to cheap out on.

·
Here is your "R"
6,923 Posts
This. I know they're tempting but these really aren't something you want to cheap out on.

:hammer I took a hard lesson in being cheap on levers, back in the days, I put on a brand new set of "oem style" levers from a well known supplier.

I was in a race, brakes were great for my first couple races, but after a few laps on my last race of the day at the super hard braking chicanes. I felt the front end fade, Im thinking the brakes just got super hot.

Final lap of that same race, I come in hot into the chicanes, braked hard, instead of fading the brakes the front end let loose at the most critical moment. Bike stood up, aiming to a tire wall, thankfully veered at the very edge of it and did not crash, but I did get penalized.

Im super anal about my brakes and tore the front end to find out what was wrong. It turned out that the brake lever had a tiny fracture where the bushing is at. With the extra hard braking that fracture would expand just enough to release the brakes but not fully break apart.

You can cheap out on the clutch lever but for the brake lever its just not worth it. :cheers

·
Registered
88 Posts
:hammer I took a hard lesson in being cheap on levers, back in the days, I put on a brand new set of "oem style" levers from a well known supplier.

I was in a race, brakes were great for my first couple races, but after a few laps on my last race of the day at the super hard braking chicanes. I felt the front end fade, Im thinking the brakes just got super hot.

Final lap of that same race, I come in hot into the chicanes, braked hard, instead of fading the brakes the front end let loose at the most critical moment. Bike stood up, aiming to a tire wall, thankfully veered at the very edge of it and did not crash, but I did get penalized.

Im super anal about my brakes and tore the front end to find out what was wrong. It turned out that the brake lever had a tiny fracture where the bushing is at. With the extra hard braking that fracture would expand just enough to release the brakes but not fully break apart.

You can cheap out on the clutch lever but for the brake lever its just not worth it. :cheers
Glad to hear it didn't cause you to tear your stuff up. I have way too much OCD to have a different clutch and brake lever lol.

·
Dreaming of buttsecks for years...
13,375 Posts
I wasnt sure about the adjusting knob on the clutch side and thought it was to loosen the cable and later found out that it was for my throttle, Woops!
Wait, wut?!? The knob you pictured is the fine clutch cable adjustment. NOTHING, absolutely nothing one the left bar has anything to do with the throttle.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
About this Discussion
9 Replies
6 Participants
Gottspeed
Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com
A forum community dedicated to the Suzuki GSX-R motorcycle. Discuss the GSX-R600, GSX-R750, GSX-R1000, and GSX-R1100, and more!
Full Forum Listing