Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys! I thought of posting this "How to" adjust the Throttle Position Sensor (TPS), because I have looked at quite a few threads to get all the info on how to do this. So I decided to put it all together.

I'm using my 06 GSXr 600. I've never done it before and I read some articles on the 'Herky Jerky'. I recently started having this problem at around 59k miles on it. Instead of taking it to the dealer, I took it upon myself to do it instead of paying $60-$100 for the service.

Here is a step-by-step of how I did it:

I started taking off the simple screws (red spikes)

After that, I took off the push pins on the inside of the right fairing so I could remove the inside fairing panel.

Then took off my frame slider and lower fairing.

Now that I have my right fairing out of the way, I'll be one step closer to being done.

When I saw a push pin with strap that's holding the cable, I grabbed a flat head screwdriver and pried it out of it's socket.

Now I pulled down the cable a little bit and can see the TPS.

I then removed my seat to locate the Dealer Mode wires.

I used a simple wire I had laying around in the garage and bridged the 2 wires. The wires you will need to bridge is a White wire with a red stripe and a black wire with a white stripe. Not sure what the other wires do exactly, so I'm not going to find out.

When you turn the key to the ON position, your dashboard will light up and you will see (-COO), What I'm looking at is the dash before COO. According to manufacturers recommendation, the dash should be in the middle. When I first checked it, the dash was at the bottom, looking like (_COO). So I loosen the torx screw just a little to where I can move the black piece behind the screw. When you move it up or down, you only need to move it a fraction at a time, than look at your cluster board to see if the dash has moved to the middle. Some people like it when it 'just' moves to the top.

After I tightened the torx screw, I put the frame slider back on, as well as the seat so I could test ride it to make sure I don't have the herky jerky.

To my surprise... I still had it. :-( Loosened the torx screw again and moved it up again. Test rode it and it was SMOOTH!

·
Registered
3 Posts
You forgot to tell that you have to start the engine and do this adjustment while the engine is running. Also you want to do this with a hot engine or else it will be all wrong when your engine turns hot, after about 10 min of riding. Just a tip...

·
Premium Member
73,190 Posts
+1

Engine has to be running and up to operating temp before doing this

·
Registered
63 Posts
I know you mentioned it in your graphic, but important to note: it's the TAMPER PROOF T25 Torx. Nothing worse than taking everything apart and NOT having the right tool.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I just got a 06 gsxr 600. The fi light is on and no codes. When I put it in dealer mode I have C00 with the dash at the top. My question is dose the set valve need adjustment or the tps need adjustment?

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

·
I know things... A lot of things.
3,152 Posts
Does FI appear where your coolant temp is? Because if you just get the red FI light, it might be due to low oil pressure. If so, there should also be a little oiler on top of the light. (You're getting this with the engine running right? Because otherwise, the light should come on as there's zero oil pressure.)

If you get a flashing FI, then you need to go into dealer mode while the light is on and FI is flashing.

·
I know things... A lot of things.
3,152 Posts
Yes fi light is on where coolant temp is at. Dose it running or not
By "FI light", I assume you mean the FI indication, that is, that you can see the letters FI flash on and off where the coolant temp incidator is. If that's so, just put it in dealer mode while it's doing that, and see what the code is.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Yes that's what I mean. I did put in dealer mode and no codes. All I get is C00 with the dash at the top

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

1 - 10 of 10 Posts