Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

Skip the first paragraph if you don't want the backstory, it's more for people to read if they have the same issue but can't figure it out.

So recently my FI error started flashing up on my bike. I managed to figure out how to put it into dealer mode and produce a code to tell me what was wrong, nothing was actually wrong the code come back as fine but the line (dash) just before the code was right at the bottom. After some research I found out this is for the TPS and it should be bang in the middle. So as soon as I sort that out the FI should stop flashing and my red light should go out I hope.

My actual question is... Is it okay for me to ride my bike with the TPS dash not aligned to the middle? With the TPS off, can the bike be damaged in any way riding it?

I can't get it fixed just yet, but want to go out with the nice weather. Obviously am not riding it at the moment in case it will damage my bike at all.

Any advise would be appreciated.

Regards,
Kuzz

·
Premium Member
73,190 Posts
Why can't you fix it? Is the TPS broken? Or is the sensor just out of alignment? Adjusting the TPS is a very sinple task, takes about 10 minutes.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Why can't you fix it? Is the TPS broken? Or is the sensor just out of alignment? Adjusting the TPS is a very sinple task, takes about 10 minutes.
If I'm honest I'm not really mechanically gifted. I've tried to search up on how to do this myself as much as possible but I can't find exactly where the screw is I have to twist. I know it's as simple as getting to the TPS and using a T25 TORX Screwdriver and just twisting it until the dash aligns to the middle. But it's actually getting to the TPS on my K7 600 that's the issue for me.

Happy to take any advice.

No the TPS isn't broken as far as I know, the dash that comes up before the error code in dealer mode was just sitting at the bottom that's all, so as far as I'm aware, that just means it's out of alignment? I can still ride the bike fine with no issues. I just don't want to until I know it's fine for me to do so even before I fix it.

·
Captain Obvious ... because obviously it’s obvious
3,849 Posts
What was the code? And did you check the position of the bar with the engine on and warm?

Downloading or buying a service manual is a great tool, because it tells you were the TPS is and how to adjust it. Prevents you from adjusting the STV by accident, which some people do.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
What was the code? And did you check the position of the bar with the engine on and warm?
The code was just "_C00"

And yes the engine was on and warm with the bar at the bottom. When the engine was off the bar was aligned to the middle so it displayed "-C00".

Which is why originally before I tried turning the engine on with it in dealer mode I thought nothing was wrong. Until I turned it on and saw the dash/bar went to the bottom.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
I found this article which tells me where it is and the correct screw to adjust so you don't mess with the STV... But I still don't know how to actually get to it.

Adjustments

When looking for myself I got as far as lifting my tank, but then didn't want to go any further as there was tubes etc connected, I assume for fuel etc, so I didn't want to start undoing anymore. Especially as I don't know shit about all this.

And I've found a service manual now which helps with the location and adjustment, but I don't think really tells me exactly how to get to it. Couldn't find any YouTube videos either for getting to the TPS on a K7...

http://motodataproject.com/product_info.php?products_id=78

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Any help with that would be appreciated.

But for now can somebody just tell me if it's okay to ride if all that needs to be done is a TPS adjustment. Can I ride before I adjust it without doing any damage to the bike?

·
I know things... A lot of things.
3,136 Posts
I'm pretty sure you can't do any damage, operating the engine with a slightly maladjusted TPS. Note though, that this would also not throw a code typically, so your 'FI' indication was most likely caused by something else and you just saw C00 because you cycled power before switching to dealer mode. You might want to ride around with a spare key and a dealer mode switch, until it happens again, to see what the code is.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'm pretty sure you can't do any damage, operating the engine with a slightly maladjusted TPS. Note though, that this would also not throw a code typically, so your 'FI' indication was most likely caused by something else and you just saw C00 because you cycled power before switching to dealer mode. You might want to ride around with a spare key and a dealer mode switch, until it happens again, to see what the code is.
The FI is on all the time. I never goes off. Anymore at least, it used to go on and off. But lately it's always on whenever I turn it on.

I switched it to dealer mode first before turning on my ignition when I did it. All I ever got was C00. Which apparently means nothing is wrong?

·
Captain Obvious ... because obviously it’s obvious
3,849 Posts
You need to put it into dealer mode once the FI light turns on.

·
I know things... A lot of things.
3,136 Posts
The FI is on all the time. I never goes off. Anymore at least, it used to go on and off. But lately it's always on whenever I turn it on.
Are we talking about the red indicator light at the upper right corner of the dash here, or about a flashing "FI" indication where the coolant temp normally is, at the lower right?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi gents have the same issue but mine is when i took of the complete black box on the side of the throttle body it sounded as if a spring unwind on the TPS so putting it back and switch the bike into on position you can see the secondary butterfly's open but when i start the bike for it to run hot it wont close like it should when it reaches its normal temperature could it be a power connection that's faulty or did i fit the box on wrong

·
Dreaming of buttsecks for years...
13,404 Posts
Hi gents have the same issue but mine is when i took of the complete black box on the side of the throttle body it sounded as if a spring unwind on the TPS so putting it back and switch the bike into on position you can see the secondary butterfly's open but when i start the bike for it to run hot it wont close like it should when it reaches its normal temperature could it be a power connection that's faulty or did i fit the box on wrong
You put it back on wrong. Take the STPS back off and then follow the manual for installation and adjustment. The sensor is spring loaded. Aside from that, incorrect installation can permanently damage the STPS, so if you can't get it re-adjusted correctly, be ready for some sticker shock.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Well what i did find out when i opened it was that one of the connections that's been soldered on the board broke loose so i re weld it and it was fine it only started when i fit it back on which i wanted to know is there a way to fit it or does it align it self when you switch it on

·
Dreaming of buttsecks for years...
13,404 Posts
You have to turn the secondary throttle shaft to either full open or full closed depending on your model, then install the STPS and adjust it.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts