Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

541 - 554 of 554 Posts

·
Reluctant GDC camper.....
152 Posts
I dremeled the inside of the housing and there is still some sticking,It doesn't snap back like it does when I have the stock throttle tube on.Also when I have the bars turned all the way to the left the throttle wont snap back all the way(stays open about half a mm or 1 mm).There isn't really anymore room to dremel anymore as I will start hitting screw threads and such.Any ideas?I will post pictures of what my housing looks like.I have a L5 GSX-R 750 if it is of concern.

·
Registered
2,761 Posts
Throttle tube a light color??....
Get a dry erase marker maby....color the end of the tube, reassemble temporarily.
Spin it back n forth in like quarter turns only.
Take it apart again.....See if you can see where the tube is hitting.
What are you using for a bit?
Stainless brush?
What else ya got?

·
Reluctant GDC camper.....
152 Posts
Throttle tube a light color??....
Get a dry erase marker maby....color the end of the tube, reassemble temporarily.
Spin it back n forth in like quarter turns only.
Take it apart again.....See if you can see where the tube is hitting.
What are you using for a bit?
Stainless brush?
What else ya got?
This is the bit I am using http://www.amazon.com/Silicon-Carbide-Grinding-Stone-Pack/dp/B000CCV94M/ref=sr_1_11?ie=UTF8&qid=1452453086&sr=8-11&keywords=dremel+grinding+bit Its the only thing that is small enough to fit in the housing.

·
Registered
666 Posts
If you disconnect the cables from the throttle tube and assemble the tube in the housing you can turn the tube if you hear or feel it touching then you need to grind some more.

If it's not touching but the throttle still will not snap back you need to loosen the throttle cable as it too tight.
Back off the adjustment at the throttle housing if that's not enough loosen the adjuster at the other end beside the throttle bodies.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Yep just did the R6 tube mod on my L1 1000.
easy enough install with a dremel (though you do definitely need a dremel, I wouldnt think anything else can do the job safely and properly). you cant really go wrong and damage the housing as there is plenty of meat there. i would say make sure at the end of doing the job it is all finely dremelled smooth as I was thinking a little plastic burr could snag the throttle motion in a worst case scenario.

anyway, its a great mod. It wasnt as an extreme change to throttle response/turn rate as i expected and so im glad i didnt bother with the R1 tube (bike is a fully tuned 172whp). I find that for my gripping style and angle i can now just turn the throttle to 100% from my normal comfortable grip position.
Really id say that i would have preferred a slightly faster action but im happy with this as its achieved the outcome i was after.

·
Registered
62 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
L7 GSX-R750 with R6 throttle tube swap

I have an L7 GSX-R750 and decided to do this mod when my bro-in-law and I gassed it from a set of lights just before we both came to a standstill. Because I had the throttle fully closed, with my brake on, I couldn't easily reach full throttle after we took off, and I couldn't catch him.....a solution was definitely required!

I ordered the genuine R6 throttle tube #2CO-26240-00

On the L7, the throttle body end of the cables DO NOT have two nuts. They each only have one locking nut, and the cables are already set at maximum slack, so all adjustment is done at the handlebar end.

Don't bother trying to install the new >06 R6 throttle tube on this model series without removing the cables from the throttle body brackets...it would be a futile exercise in frustration....especially as removing the airbox takes less than 10 minutes. Installing the airbox is just as easy if you lubricate the rubber airbox -> frame gaskets with some WD-40.

After removing the cables from the throttle body brackets, and slackening the cable all the way at the handlebar end, removing and installing the cables is easy.
Not much has to be shaved from inside the housing. A bit from where the screw hole is, and a bit from the lip of the cable hole (bottom part of the housing only). I undid all the starter button retainers etc and completely removed the lower housing from the bike to do the dremeling. The suggestion earlier in the thread to use a paint pen to see where there was still interference was a good one.

The throttle cables on this bike are JUST long enough to cater for the R6 throttle tube. I had to leave the handlebar adjuster at maximum slack, and the throttle is perfect lock to lock. It snaps back to idle like OEM.
I removed the grip from the Suzuki tube (that was probably the hardest part of the entire process) and put that on the R6 tube. The R6 tube has a plastic "washer" between the grip and the cable ramp. I left this on the outside of the housing. It stops the grip from binding against the housing, and my left right play for the R6 tube is about the same as OEM.

**Results**
Since I've owned this bike, I've always had a tendency to not give it quite enough throttle coming out of a sharp turn or roundabout. I never thought about why, but that problem has now been solved. It turns out that the FZR1000 I traded for this bike had a 1/6 throttle turn from closed to full. Also, my other bike has a 1/6 throttle twist from factory. So now the GSXR is giving the power I subconsciously always expected for a given turn of the throttle!
Psychologically the bike feels stronger for sure! :banana

This is a great mod. Thanks to all previous posters for their guidance.

541 - 554 of 554 Posts
About this Discussion
553 Replies
219 Participants
AJV80
Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com
A forum community dedicated to the Suzuki GSX-R motorcycle. Discuss the GSX-R600, GSX-R750, GSX-R1000, and GSX-R1100, and more!
Full Forum Listing