Suzuki GSX-R Motorcycle Forums Gixxer.com banner

521 - 540 of 554 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
I just installed the R6 throttle sleeve in my K9 GSXR 750. Wasn't as straight forward as most of tutorials would have you believe because there simply isn't enough slack in the throttle cable to allow proper installation. I searched for a while for information on how to find enough slack to install the R6 throttle tube without wrecking anything and there couldn't find the right info anywhere so I figured I'd post it here for anyone having trouble with this.

For anyone else attempting this, you will not only need to adjust the cable at the bar for maximum freeplay, but you'll also need to move the adjuster nut for the throttle cable at the throttle body, so that BOTH nuts are on the same side of the sleeve (the side closest to the rear of the bike). If you don't, you simply won't have enough slack to install the throttle tube. If you loosen the nuts off, you can pull the sleeve away from the housing, and move the nuts to the very end of the sleeve, then reinstall the sleeve in the housing. You can then tighten the sleeve into the housing with one of the nuts acting as a lock nut. The other nut will be useless. You may also need to do the same with the return cable just until you've got the throttle all hooked up at the handle bars. Afterwards, you should be able to set the return cable back to normal. You may also be able to set the throttle cable back to normal - I didn't because it didn't allow enough freeplay.

Also, you'll find that once everything is installed properly you might not have enough snapback from the return cable. Fix this by loosening the two screws that hold the throttle/ignition switch box 1/8 or 1/4 turn at a time until there is enough snapback. Also adjust cable freeplay at the handlebar until there is 2-4mm of freeplay at full lock left, right, and at the centre.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Just installed the R6 throttle earlier today.

Instead of dremeling the OEM kill switch housing, I filed down the R6 throttle. Did this partially cause I didn't want to alter the OEM housing but mainly cause I didn't have a dremel.

Easy mod, big difference; the bike feels much more responsive. Sorry I didn't get any pics of the modified R6 piece.

Cheers

·
Registered
25 Posts
I did the R6 swap, holy crap what a difference!! I came from a R6 so I never realized how short it actually was til i got my 750. swapping it was a little bit of a pain but I knew what was involved so it wasnt a big deal. had to dremel some of the housing but it fits perfect. the cables were a little too short so I gave it some more slack at the throttle bodies. I was kinda scared to ride after because the difference was pretty big. :lol

If youre debating on the r1 or r6, definitely get the r6

·
Registered
47 Posts
How do I adjust the throttle cable at the throttle bodies if I have to loosen them? Do I have to take of the gas tank? Debating between the R1 for a simpler install or the R6.

·
Registered
25 Posts
look on the side of left side between the triangle on the frame, youll see 2 cables. you might have to take off, your fairing, mine was already off so i cant say for sure. loosen up the locking nuts and adjust them. I took them off the mount to give all the slack i needed and did the throttle first then adjusted it at the throttle bodies

·
Registered
47 Posts
If I install the R1 throttle tube, do I have to adjust the throttle cable bolts at the throttle bodies? Or will the R1 Throttle tube be just a straight install. I prefer not to lift the gas tank up and tamper with the throttle body bolts.

Also, my bike is a 2013. Will I still have to mod the housing if I buy the R6 Throttle tube?

·
Registered
161 Posts
im going to round up an r6, 2006 throttle tube and do this

i will post detailed pics of whatever has to be done at the throttle bodies

this cannot be a big deal for any experienced mechanic

·
Registered
161 Posts
ok, heres the deal

I ordered a throttle tube, and told them it needed to be for an 08 R6, and it must be factory yamaha

31.00 and a week later i got one, its white with the rubber grip installed

the area where the cable wraps around is much larger than the stock gixxer unit

i removed the tank and airbox
loosened the throttle cables from the throttle body
then adjusted the throttle cable by the tube for the most slack
removed the throttle tube
ground out the black housing just a bit with a die grinder and a cut off wheel
i just did this by eye to make sure the throttle tube would completely center inside fo the black throttle tube housing on the bike

it installed perfectly and moved freely

so i tightened everything up on the bar/grip

next i spun both of the nuts on the top throttle cable down toward the end of the threaded sleeve they are screwed onto

this left BOTH jam nuts on the other side fo the bracket instead of one on each side, this is important

the lower cable went back in just like stock, no repositioning of the jam nuts

i checked the cable to be sure there was a small amount of sack left to keep the cables from being pulled as the handle bars are turned

I reinstalled the tank and airbox

all done, going slow it took 20 minutes

the result

I love it

the negatives?

the throttle tube is like 1/8 inch shorter than the gixxer one, so you can see the clip on bar, no big deal

the other negative.....

i must now buy a grip to match for the other side

both negatives are negligable

·
Registered
44 Posts
I installed the R6 throttle, drilled out the housing. Everything good except the throttle doesnt snap back. I tried adjusting but no luck. Also cannot find the directions on how to adjust throttle in the instruction manual.

Any suggestions?

·
Premium Member
140 Posts
If it's not snapping back it's probably binding in the housing. You might need to grind some material for clearance. I did and my throttle snaps back without any problems.

·
Registered
666 Posts
Yeah I had the same problem you need to give it more clearance in the housing I just put the tube in without the cable on and turned it I could feel the tube dragging on the inside so I just removed some more plastic from the housing until it turned freely. Then it snapped back great after that.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Looks like once I removed a nut from the return cable and put it on the other side it was fine. Just used some locktite to lock the nuts in place by the throttlehousing. Good mod, thanks.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I just did this on my k7 750 about a week ago. I used the r6 tube. I trained the tube slightly vs my housing and it has plenty of room to move and I didn't have to mess with moving any nuts to opposite sides of the bracket. I only unadjusted the cable at the housing and readjusted it there. This was an easy mod and I love the shorter twist to go WOT. Even cruising it is better on my hands as I'm not having to twist as far as I used to leaving my hands in a more natural position.

·
Registered
666 Posts
It lets you get to wide open throttle in a 1/4turn so you don't have to bend your wrist backwards or regrip the throttle. But it also makes your roll on more aggressive

521 - 540 of 554 Posts